Sony Denies Ripping Off Sackboy Costumes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Denies Ripping Off Sackboy Costumes

costume design competition [http://www.sony.com].

The similarities between some contest entries and the recent Sackboy DLC were pointed out on Sony's LittleBigPlanet [http://www.littlebigplanet.com/] General Discussion forum, where users debated whether or not Sony had in fact copied the designs, and if so, if it had a legal right to do so. While some users pointed out that the terms and conditions of the contest clearly indicated that all submitted materials became the property of Sony, to do with as it pleased, Sony took the matter one step further and denied that any copying took place at all.

"This was always going to be a possibility when we ran the costume competition - releasing new costumes which are similar in theme to ones that were entered," a Sony community rep wrote in a message [http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=b_EN_GAMES_general_lbp&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=34081#M34081] on the forum. "Here's the fact of the matter, the art team who are responsible for designing new original (ie., unlicensed) costumes were involved at the very final stage of judging, by which time the number of entries had been whittled down to 10 from each batch of entries (Europe, Japan, USA). If at any time we take inspiration from a costume competition entry that didn't win overall we will contact the creator directly."

The designs posted are undeniably similar to the DLC releases by Sony, but the Sony rep has a valid point: Overlap between Sony's work and that done by fans, given the sheer amount of material being created, is almost inevitable. It's unfortunate, but I find it hard to imagine that anyone at Sony or here [http://www.mediamolecule.com/].

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oh come on, seriously? Thousands of people sent their entries in a constest and you give them the damn rights to let them do whatever they damn well please to do with it.

And, shouldn't we be thankful that they're letting none-winning entriees (that's assuming they are copied) into the mix of new costumes instead of only 3 (Europe, America, Japan)?

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I really don't understand the waves of bad publicity for Sony that spring up right around the holidays. Last year it was one kid in Sweden with a dusty PS3 that got worldwide press for weeks.

If the article itself points out that all the terms allow Sony to do this, isn't the underlying complaint moot? If it's a complaint about a moot point, what makes this news?

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Johnny Danger said:
This game can't get by one week without some controversy, can it?
Nope, it seems Media Molecule and Sony are some kind of controversy-magnet.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
To be fair after all the other retarded shit that's come to light from Sony and LBP (i.e. we own everything you make with this and we reserve the right to sell it, so stop with all your damn tribute levels cause we're going to delete anything we can't profit off of), it only makes sense to get another uproar over something that was...perfectly fair and too much of a grey area really.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
After nintedo announcerd the dsi to be completely region locked and microsoft closing ensemble studios, it's now sony's turn for a gigantic dick move.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Meh, not seeing enough resemblance to really justify complaint imo. There are some overlapping ideas, yes, but they are different enough to pass on. And how a naked puffin really be ripping off a penguin in a suit? If we draw a generic animal sackboy, does that mean Sony is stealing our idea?

It's all just superfluous anyway. If you got a problem, don't get it.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Asehujiko said:
...it's now sony's turn for a gigantic dick move.
...Again. Frankly, I don't think Sony has any moves left at this point that aren't d**k moves.

Honestly, I despised Little Big Planet simply because of the ungodly amount of advertising and reviewers slobber all over it. Then I saw gameplay, and realized it was nothing but a generic platformer.

A platformer, people. What is this? 1993? You can't give me enough user-generated DLC for me to willfully play another runny, jumpy platformer. World of Goo, fine. Psychonauts, fine. But no amount of cutesy costuming is going to make me play Mario Bros. Vs The Incredible Machine in 3D.

...Wait a minute. Yes it would, because that game would rock. Because it would not be made by content-thieving Sony.

And so the flame bait is set. Sorry, but I just can't get into it.