That's Not A Brain Hemorrhage, That's My PlayStation

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
That's Not A Brain Hemorrhage, That's My PlayStation

An Italian teenager was rushed to hospital with what was believed to be a debilitating brain injury , but it turned out he was just suffering from PlayStation [http://www.playstation.com] overload.

The story begins when 13-year-old Lorenzo Amato was rushed to the Lecce hospital in southern Italy by his "desperate" father. According to an Ananova [http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3092418.html?menu=news.quirkies] report, the boy "couldn't speak and didn't seem to understand anything going on around him." And while those symptoms could be used to describe just about every teenager on the planet, doctors at the hospital nonetheless initially believed Amato had suffered a stroke or was experiencing some kind of severe brain disorder.

But then, in a truly House [http://fox.com/house]-worthy moment, they discovered that immediately prior to being brought to the hospital, the teenager had finished a "marathon" session on his new PlayStation. According to local politician Antonio Buccoliero, who spoke with the doctors, "They eventually managed to take care of him once they understood that this was a strange kind of mental detachment connected to his PlayStation."

In fact, it turns out that young Lorenzo had gone so hardcore that it turned into a form of aversion therapy; after he recovered, he told his dad to get rid of the thing. "If I even think about it, I want to throw up," he said.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Learning lessons the hard way is always the best way, no matter how much it sucks. I find the story hilarious, so it's a good thing the kid's all right, or I'd feel awful.

Feb 13, 2008
Usually for me, I'll start getting a migraine around about 6 hours after play, with eyestrain meaning I'm debilitated until I get liquid and rest.

I love the idea of a House episode though.

"Young boy, no normal symptoms suffering from a major headache and sensitivity to light."
"Did you check his palms?"
"Why the hell did you want to check his palms?"
"He's 13. If he's being seen by Cuddy in that dress, I'd expect him to need a lawnmower to cut that hair by now."

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Awesome pic. I'm not quite sure how it relates to the article, but it's awesome nonetheless.

He's better though now it seems, so no long term harm done.

Sombra Negra

Nov 4, 2008
That's pretty awesome. I'd love to know how this actually happened, though. Was he in a trancelike state of gaming Zen-enlightenment?

Nov 28, 2007
Gotta love A Clockwork Orange.

On-topic: As a serious gamer, I have to say, when you are ignoring everything else but the games going on in your life, that's pretty pathetic. Granted, I play far more games than I should, but I do not ignore the basics of human intelligence. I am self-aware of my surroundings, because I am still mentally there.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
It is a shame that it doesn't say how long he was playing for. I am a little curious seeing that people can play WoW for days and be completely fine.

DiamondJim

Sep 27, 2008
I'm kind of surprised he wanted to get rid of it. Sounded like an addiction thing. But good for him, he's going cold turkey.

If I were his friend, I'd probably go buy a PS3 and randomly flash it in his face to see if the whole 'throwing up' thing is legit, or if he secretly has a TV and PS3 set up in his closet and can't get rid of his habit.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So thuis is the answer for stopping kids playing GTA then?
Make them sit down and play it non-stop until they suffer brain trauma, brilliant, it's so simple.

Boober the Pig

Sep 8, 2008
This was probably some type of seizure, which would explain both why he couldn't stop and why he doesn't want to play anymore.

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
I'd love to know what game it was. Let's see...PS3 (assuming it isn't PS1 or PS2) games that would put someone into a trance-like state... Flow? Eden? Lego Star Wars?

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
fix-the-spade said:
So thuis is the answer for stopping kids playing GTA then?
Make them sit down and play it non-stop until they suffer brain trauma, brilliant, it's so simple.
I got a brain trauma simply watching people cheat on Grand Theft Auto.