BioShock 2: The Big Sister Revealed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioShock 2: The Big Sister Revealed

The world has been given its first look at the new BioShock bad guy... and it's a girl.

Confirming a rumor that had been circulating since "sources" dropped the dime a few days ago, the cover of the April issue of BioShock [http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200903/N09.0310.1603.49470.htm] and presumably much faster, with a bulbous head, a big, glowing red eye and a basket mounted on her back in which the Little Sister rides.

Game Informer will devote ten pages to the upcoming game and Kotaku says more details are likely to emerge at the Game Developers Conference [http://www.gdconf.com/] in San Francisco, running March 23 to 27. Hopefully one of the questions they'll answer is why the game has gone from Big Daddy to Big Sister instead of Big Momma. It's a big mystery.

I have no doubt that all will become clear as the game's release approaches - with some surprises held back for players to discover on their own, of course - but I don't think I care quite as much as I should. Big Daddies were a unique and tragic videogame villain but I don't see that sort of creativity in the Big Sister; I see a forced attempt at cleverness, as though someone decided the Big Daddy concept had to stay but Big Daddies themselves were no longer adequate.

Or am I being too critical, too soon?

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
I'm still inclined to think it's an April Fools joke since it is their April issue. Until I hear otherwise that's what I believe. Cool design though for the cover, lol.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Too critical too soon, I think.

Let's wait to hear why there are big sisters now. Perhaps another bit of experimentation? I mean, females are usually known to more fiercely guard and fight for their children then males, so we're looking at a possibly harder, stronger enemy!

Then again, I could just be pulling things out of the air and hoping they are true so that they don't ruin the name of the first game by making a sub-par, crappy, tacked-on style sequel.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Hopefully too critical too soon. Bioshock is one of my favorite games of all time and I am really looking forward to this sequel.

shadow_pirate22

Aug 25, 2008
Is it just me, or does her head look like one of those GLaDOS spheres?

But anyway... Can't wait for the game, just got the Platinum trophy in Bioshock, so I'm looking for something else to occupy my non-social time.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Joy of joys. Even in the world of mechanized steampunk mutants, the women look like their wearing skintight, figure accentuating gear .

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I can't help but think that Rapture is going to see a whole lot of retconning to make this sequel fit into the established story, and we all know how well that usually works out. Especially in BioShock, which was a solid shooter elevated by a fantastic setting and a far better story than FPS fans are used to. With, let's face it, a very clear ending.

And I'm a BioShock fan, make no mistake. Got the collector's edition, bought a new video card so I could play the game, spent time on a fan forum waiting for release, etc. So it's not like I'm standing in the OMG THIS SUX line. I just have strong reservations, and this business of "ho ho did you see what we did there we took the Big Daddy and made him a girl we so clever" isn't helping. It feels, as I said in the original post, forced.

To be honest, I originally had the same thought as WNblahblahblah, that it's an April Fool's joke. I'm still kinda hoping.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I doubt it's an April Fool's joke - the last April issue didn't have anything fake on the cover. They're too afraid of compromising their journalistic integrity to do anything like that, I think.

Anyway, I think it sounds friggin' sweet - I don't think the idea of Big Sisters sounds stupid at all. Would you rather it was just the same ol' Big Daddies? (Well, in that case, you would probably prefer that there was no sequel)

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
"Or am I being too critical, too soon?"

Maybe, but I can understand your position considering that Bioshock needs a sequel about as much as a horse needs a saddle.

Blindem

Feb 10, 2009
Doesn't the new plot have something to do with kidnapping little girls from their homes out in the world (and potentially taking them to Rapture)? If so, I can actually see why we might see both Big Sisters and a return of Big Daddies in the second game. Big Daddies were strong, but they weren't the speediest, and sending one out on a kidnapping missions sounds, well, rather foolish. Why not design a smaller and faster (but still strong) version -- complete with cage -- to go out and grab girls?

Just speculation, but I can envision a solid story reason why they would 1) invent Big Sisters that would have nothing to do with getting rid of Big Daddies; and 2) want the Big Sisters to be similar but different to Big Daddies.

I think it's much too early to call whether this is a good idea or bad idea. Just as I can envision reasons why it might work, the reasons why it might not are multifold. Let's just wait and see.

Garrig

Mar 11, 2009
Alright, as somebody whom didn't quite make the bus off the System Shock 2 dock, I wonder why everybody is crying about the fact that the Big Daddy's aren't present in this cover? If the lore has anything to say, it's that they made hundreds of them, and I can only guess that the 'Big Sisters' offered now could possibly be a well-armed ferry for the Little Sisters we somehow didn't find when there aren't suspiciously well-placed duct systems everywhere. I don't see why we wouldn't see the original Juggernauts wandering with their charge nearby.

The fact that these Big Sisters are displayed toting the little demon-girls (eternally creepy in its own right) suggests to me that the parts of Rapture we're going to be allowed to wander NOW won't be as open as the other side of the land.

Besides that, despite the numerous needles and serious amounts of ADAM lost, we didn't exactly determine that the last boss was completely dead last time. How are we certain that the bugger will stay down?

After all...we all thought SHODAN was fully deleted at the edge of System Shock...

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Any info about this game is great. I loved the first one and I can't wait until this one arrives.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
I wish game companies stopped making sequels and do original things. Mirrors Edge for example, what ever you think of it, it was an original game, a risk.

I doubt during this credit crunch that many companies will be willing to risk such things, but I hope that once things settle economically that more would try things like Mirrors Edge.