First Wave of Fable II DLC Announced

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
First Wave of Fable II DLC Announced

After weeks of teasing, Lionhead Studios shows off Knothole Island, the first expansion for the Xbox 360's flagship RPG.

Always leave it to Peter Molyneux and his crew to be a few steps ahead of their handlers. Lionhead Studios began teasing a Knothole Island [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87421].

Coming mid-December for 800 Microsoft Points, Knothole Island will take adventurers to a once prosperous region where a snow has come and ravaged the land. Knowing the world of Albion, there's some nefarious sort of being behind all this and it's up to the heroes of the world to face the trials of Knothole Island's three shrines to bring back the Sun.

The three shrines represent the three unique quests and dungeons being offered in the expansion, but that's not all. Players can look forward to a whole new wardrobe to discover, including suits of armor and leather biker outfits. There will also be six new weapons to collect (with new augments to customize them with) and dozens of unique potions to alter your hero's appearance.

Along with the paid expansion will come a free download which will allow players with Knothole Island to play co-operatively online with those who do not. The free download will also come with a few additional gifts, including a new pair of boots, gloves, a special weight loss potion, a collectable silver book and more to be revealed.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Shouldn't this have been, you know, part of the original game? It's been a month and they're nearly ready to give us a bit more game? I can't help but think of the age old DLC conspiracy where developers hold back content to sell it to us later.
At least with the GTA:IV DLC, I know that it is just extra, where this really doesn't feel like it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
So the announcement that was announced too soon and then followed up with an announcement that the announcement will be announced later has finally come, and nobody thought to announce that this announcement was coming?

And no pony for Suzan?
No pony costume for your dog either :(

I note that they announce that there's armour now, does that mean it'll have damage reduction? ;s Seems like something that should have been released with the game to me.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Gee, this looks familiar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.78085] :p. Anyways, here's my $0.02 (I knew you were dying for it haha);

Layme. Nothing about this press release gets me excited. I haven't picked up the game yet (my little step-bro is still playing through it), but I doubt I will now. $60(retail box) + $10(dlc) = $70 plus tax for the whole game is kinda poopy. Releasing DLC a month after launching the game is pretty bad form IMO.

And before we all start, sometimes I'm ADD like that, and would need to get the add-on or I would feel like I was "missing" something.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Eh, I needed a reason to pick this up again and buy a hard drive, so works for me.

Lord Harrab

Jun 24, 2008
Amnestic said:
Khell_Sennet said:
So the announcement that was announced too soon and then followed up with an announcement that the announcement will be announced later has finally come, and nobody thought to announce that this announcement was coming?

And no pony for Suzan?
No pony costume for your dog either :(

I note that they announce that there's armour now, does that mean it'll have damage reduction? ;s Seems like something that should have been released with the game to me.
i doubt it, Armour plate doesn't stop bullets, i think that's the reason it wasn't inculcated at launch, as with the invention of guns, mobility became more important that being armored.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
Shouldn't this have been, you know, part of the original game? It's been a month and they're nearly ready to give us a bit more game? I can't help but think of the age old DLC conspiracy where developers hold back content to sell it to us later.
At least with the GTA:IV DLC, I know that it is just extra, where this really doesn't feel like it.
That's exactly the same thing I thought.

Assassins' gloves? Come on...they included the coat, but not the gloves?!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I still want my goddamn pony. :(

But I'm looking forward to this, just the same. I need a reason to play now that I'm finished with all the quests (short of rescuing my son from the Hobbes, that is. I never liked the kid that much in the first place, the Hobbes can bloody well have him.)

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Lord Harrab said:
i doubt it, Armour plate doesn't stop bullets, i think that's the reason it wasn't inculcated at launch, as with the invention of guns, mobility became more important that being armored.
Sorry, but this particular bit of ignorance always bugs me. Firearms and plate armor existed side-by-side for several hundred years, with many armor manufacturers advertising their handiwork as being bulletproof.

Anyway, ten bucks says the DLC is a 100k file that unlocks the stuff on the disc...

Lord Harrab

Jun 24, 2008
Grampy_bone said:
Lord Harrab said:
Sorry, but this particular bit of ignorance always bugs me. Firearms and plate armor existed side-by-side for several hundred years, with many armor manufacturers advertising their handiwork as being bulletproof.

Anyway, ten bucks says the DLC is a 100k file that unlocks the stuff on the disc...
ah yes, you're right. Point to you.

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
Susan Arendt said:

But I'm looking forward to this, just the same. I need a reason to play now that I'm finished with all the quests (short of rescuing my son from the Hobbes, that is. I never liked the kid that much in the first place, the Hobbes can bloody well have him.)
I'll assume that you finally got your husband to have sex with you then.

Oh and I'll be getting this, hoping to find the ruins of Knothole Glade and the Temple of Avo.

Oh and I'll be getting the Flying Lute Axe mentioned and shown
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7227/flyingluteaxesm6.jpg

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
TheGhostOfSin said:
Susan Arendt said:

I'll assume that you finally got your husband to have sex with you then.

Oh and I'll be getting this, hoping to find the ruins of Knothole Glade and the Temple of Avo.
Ah, yes. Once I put on men's clothes, he was good to go. Our marriage is such a sham...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Lord Harrab said:
Grampy_bone said:
Lord Harrab said:

ah yes, you're right. Point to you.
Just because they advertised it doesn't mean it was true. "Bullet Proof" was subjective, guns were incredibly volitail and unpredictable weapons at the time anyway and useless at too great a range. The Bow was still a superior weapon in some cases- used successfully by the native americans in warfare against the united states army for instance - until the repeater rifle matched it's fire rate.

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
While I don't believe this to be a conspiracy of sorts I will give my idea of what is the case. I think that this Knothole Island was perhaps near the end of development when the game came out, but they had yet to finish it and for some reason wanted to shove it out during the big game release rush. I do think they should give it for free, but I think that could be due to some genius in marketing at Lion's Head to whom I want to castrate o_O.

perfectimo

Sep 17, 2008
Why don't some companies even try any more to release complete games? With the addition of internet to consoles the console market is finally getting what PC users have been dealing with forever.