Microsoft Store Competes With Valve's Steam

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Microsoft Store Competes With Valve's Steam

With Valve's Steam service supplying a growing number of high-profile games, the software king is looking to wage digital distribution war with its own Microsoft Store.

With a company the size of Microsoft, plenty of people in the technology community were surprised that it took until last week for Microsoft to start an online store [http://store.microsoft.com/default.aspx?store=US] hosting downloadable goods. The Microsoft Store sells a mix of Microsoft hardware and software, with its entertainment offerings including PC and Xbox 360 games.

Currently, Flight Simulator X is the only title that can be directly downloaded and played. It's a key first step for Microsoft into the PC digital distribution competition, a sector that is currently dominated by Valve's Steam service. Boasting hundreds of high-profile titles from most of the top third party publishers in the industry, Steam has seen incredible success, placing itself in a leadership position for offering full-priced triple-A titles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87643-GTA4-Hijacks-Steam-Vice-City-Offered-Free].

Games for Windows Live manager Chris Early isn't quite ready to claim victory or really even entrance into the download fray, but did confirm to Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55877], "Clearly it's on our road map."

Early is concerned with how to handle digital-rights management for Microsoft's fresh store. "When we get to the place where we do distribute games digitally, will we have a digital rights management system? Maybe," explained Early. "Or maybe we'll just continue to support the industry leaders in that. Because it is a hard thing to do. You talk to any of those companies, and that is their whole company, is doing digital rights management."

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Oh dear me, Microsoft just can't settle for less can they?

"We want it ALL!"

Logan Frederick said:
Currently, Flight Simulator X is the only title that can be directly downloaded and played.
Heehee, hoohoo, ho ho.
One game? Great!

How can they even hope to compete with Steam?

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
damnit, MS can never think of a new way to make money, not anymore...

still, even if the shop is better...it'll never be steam...

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Tried Steam, didnt much care for it. Metaboli was fun for a while though, till I played through all the games they had I was interested in. Now if one of these were to add Pizza Connection 2 to their catalogues, id rush there. My search for that game continues to be fruitless :-(

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Good for Microsoft, I wish them nothing but doom and disaster in this endeavour.

Given that the biggest selling point of Steam (to me at least), is it's hassle free nature, cheap pricing, reliability and mountains of free content. What do Microsoft possibly think they are going to compete with? I seem to think EA has a Steam style service too, doesn't work but it's there.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Steam user from launch to now. Honestly, Microsoft has generally failed in markets where it couldn't (A) buy out the competition and (B) couldn't leverage middlemen. See HoTMaiL for (A) and Windows bundled on every PC by every OEM for (B). I don't see any way they could succeed on this front without some strong entanglement with Xbox Live and the store provided on that platform. "Games for Windows" has hardly been a success... more of a mediocre mess.

I look forward to the increase in competition, and hope Valve overcomes this meagre assault. My only concern is how Microsoft may throw their weight around... it would be uncharacteristic of them not to.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
If anything, I'm kind of annoyed. You got your EA Store, with their bloated shitty program to go along with it, you got your Impulse and your Steam. Now you get MS Store. Every publisher bringing out their own delivery system kind of blows. I don't like having all these programs and cacheing folders around.

I'd rather they all use one system, but that'll of course never happen.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Lt. Sera said:
If anything, I'm kind of annoyed. You got your EA Store, with their bloated shitty program to go along with it, you got your Impulse and your Steam. Now you get MS Store. Every publisher bringing out their own delivery system kind of blows. I don't like having all these programs and cacheing folders around.

I'd rather they all use one system, but that'll of course never happen.
We can dream though... we can dream...

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
"Games for Windows" has hardly been a success... more of a mediocre mess.
Oh, I wouldn't call it a mediocre mess, it was far from a mediocre failure.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Pizza Connection 2 to their catalogues, id rush there. My search for that game continues to be fruitless :-(
*has a copy* <3

I know the feeling too though, I looked for it for way too long.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Caliostro said:
Cousin_IT said:
Pizza Connection 2 to their catalogues, id rush there. My search for that game continues to be fruitless :-(
*has a copy* <3
Dont take this personally, but I now hate you :-D
Yeah, I know the feeling, I looking for that game for, literally, years till I found it laying around in a bargain bin... Such an underrated game.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
God, don't those crazy kids at Microsoft ever learn? Looking back at their abysmal track record with Games for Windows, Microsoft would be lucky if they could get the support needed to rival Stardock's Impulse, let alone Steam itself.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i don't think it will do very good, they have a bad track record with most anything they don't have absolute control over already, even then they aren't very good, look at vista

the advantage that steam has is it's multidevloper, i don't see how many developers will jump on the m$ bandwagon

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
I don't mind. It's a start for Microsoft in this area of sells. I encourage them to continue.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
My only problem is that, with this, they probably won't sell in-house developments on steam anymore... but still, I don't think they'll get very far against steam.