Stardock Criticizes the Age of Steam

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Stardock Criticizes the Age of Steam

The so-called "Age of Steam" might not last very long, or at least that's what competitor Stardock thinks.

Earlier this week, Edge Online posted a feature chronicling the rise and present dominance of Valve's Steam digital distribution platform, remarking that gamers are living in the "Impulse [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89999-The-Age-of-Steam], thinks the Age of Steam might end a lot sooner than we all think.

"We're at the very beginning of digital distribution," Wardell wrote in an Edge guest column [http://www.edge-online.com/blogs/why-age-steam-may-not-last]. "Steam may indeed become the Facebook of digital distribution but there's just as much chance it could become the next Friendster."

Remember Friendster? "Will you be my Friendster?" Nobody says that anymore, and Wardell thinks there's a good chance that people won't be saying "add me on Steam" within the next two years. "I would be very surprised if Steam continues to have such a large market share (as a percentage) even 18 months from now," Wardell proclaimed.

As Wardell sees it, Valve's platform hasn't really seen any genuine competition yet, but as services like GamersGate, Amazon and Impulse (obviously) step up to the plate, it'll be put to the test, and it's too soon to say if it'll pass with flying colors. "The real test for Steam, however, will be how it does as it faces competition as it becomes more common for titles to be released on multiple platforms at the same time," Wardell said. "It's far too soon to assume that Steam will continue to dominate five years out."

Wardell also suggested that Steam's current success isn't entirely founded on the quality of its product, pointing to the fact that Valve only got half its userbase by requiring Counter-Strike players to use Steam and by releasing games that force players to become Steam users to play. He admits that the quality of Valve's games has helped put it on top, but his point seems to be that its rise wasn't meteoric simply by virtue of how absolutely awesome Valve are.

Which, regardless of what you think of Stardock or what Wardell has to say, is a thought worth considering and a perspective worth taking. Valve isn't perfect, kids, and as much as we all love Steam, you never know what could happen. As Wardell puts it, "MySpace once looked unbeatable in the social networking world but such premature assumptions look quaint in 'the age of Facebook.'"

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Surely if Valve fails here (In what be their highest Income growing service/product) then Stardock is to be doomed also?

But tech moves on and software comes and goes. We do however still use Windows and it isn't like we had any choice there? And no I do not count Linux as a choice, lol.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
unfortuanetly the only thing impulse has going for it in my eyes is that you dont have to have it running in the background like steam, but seeing how much steam lets you do with it while playing games i consider it a plus. sure, i installed steam for hl2 and css, but today if a game comes out over steam thats where i buy it. cheaper (us) cause i dont pay taxes, dont have to use gas to drive to the store, dont have to worry about a disc getting scratched, can install on any computer whenever i want, backing up the games makes future installs take only a few minutes, as well as auto updating, integrated mod support, steam cloud and a shitload of other features.

the fact hes ignoring is unlike myspace valve isnt sitting on their hands basking in their success. they are listening to people and working on steam to make it better all the time, and as time goes on i believe that steam will continue to be the forefront of digital distribution, just as valve has been with the shooter genre.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I rather think that he's got somewhat of a point. I have a membership in all four of the services listed in this article (Steam, Impulse, GamersGate, and Amazon). However, I think that's because they currently don't really overlap much. Steam is a great place to buy a lot of old mainstream titles for under $20, as well as digital download only games, like AudioSurf or World of Goo. Impulse is a place to buy Stardock games and lesser known nearly-indie games. GamersGate's biggest draw is clearly the Paradox Interactive series, but it also stocks a library of lesser known games and series that can be new or old depending. Frankly, I've never used Amazon for DD games, I use them to buy boxes.

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
Lets see, he critises Steam for being required to play their own games, yet Stardock is doing the exact same thing. Sins of a Solar Empire requires Impulse if you want to patch it or get the new expansions. I have Impulse and Steam installed, and I find no issue with either one of the services. But given the choice between buying a game from retail, steam or impulse, I'll choose the cheapest price. If everything is the same price, I'll pick steam first or retail if I want the box and manual too. And by retail, I of course mean Amazon.com

Recently. I happened upon a sale of FEAR 2 for $29.90 on an online store and it is still 49.99 on Steam. I bought the retail from the online store, shipped in a few days and it requires Steam to play anyway. I just entered my CD key into Steam and downloaded it, didn't even take the DVD out of the box.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Interesting point but.

I don't see the latest titles from Ubisoft, EA and ActiBlizzard on Impulse. For long term success it can't hurt to have the big names releaseing their big name games on your service.

They also don't have much in the way of their own games to get their system into people's homes. Sins is great but is a bit weak compared to titles that can put 'Over 50 game of the year awards' and 'One of the Greatest games ever made' on their covers.
They're way behind on price as well. I could buy every Unreal game ever from Steam for less than the cost of UT3 on Impulse.

With the MySpace thing I can see where he's coming from. But MySpace was the end product, Steam/Impulse are distribution. Their survival is pretty much dependant on what products they can give you.
I can't see that turning against Valve any time soon.

PieMaker

Oct 7, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Interesting point but.
With the MySpace thing I can see where he's coming from. But MySpace was the end product, Steam/Impulse are distribution. Their survival is pretty much dependant on what products they can give you.
Agreed. That was aweak comparison by mixing up vessel and product.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
May the IP war be glorious and profitable for all.

Off the top of my head, I'd say you could trump Steam if you just figured out a way to let me play my games without being online. Audiosurf has a hissy fit every time I'm somewhere with no wifi.

Virus017

Feb 20, 2009
Steam is really going to fail? Isn't it the most popular legal digital distribution program in the world?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Off the top of my head, I'd say you could trump Steam if you just figured out a way to let me play my games without being online. Audiosurf has a hissy fit every time I'm somewhere with no wifi.
Doesn't Steam give you the option to play in offline mode when it can't find a connection?

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
fix-the-spade said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
Doesn't Steam give you the option to play in offline mode when it can't find a connection?
Might just be me, but a lot of my Steam games throw a tantrum when I'm not online. They freeze up, shut off randomly, etc. Getting kind of old.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
If Steam was runned by a bunch of idiots this might of be true...but in this case is being runned by a company that makes every odd year a game that comes with the tag "Game of the Year".

Also Steam has support of Activision, Sega, and EA and it keeps growing. 16 million accounts or something and its a great multiplayer platform. Games like Dawn of War 2 and Empire:Total War have Steamworks built in.

Anyway competition is good, but Stardock is going to compete with Valve and Gabe's million's of dollars and Valve listens to its playerbase.

P.S: They listen to alot of stuff but not the euro-dollar conversion rate in Steam store...fix that will ya?