Why F.E.A.R. 2 Was Banned In Australia

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Why F.E.A.R. 2 Was Banned In Australia

Australia's Office of Film and Literature Classification has explained why it refused to issue a rating for the upcoming horror-shooter F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin [http://projectorigin.warnerbros.com/], and the answer contains precisely zero percent of your recommended daily intake of surprise.

No, the boys at OFLC [http://www.lith.com/] deemed the violent content "high in impact" and "unsuitable for a minor to play," citing as examples a nail gun that can be used to pin bad guys to walls, after which they will fall to the ground "in a bloody mass," and a sniper rifle that will "tear bodies apart at close range."

If all this is sounding pretty damned sweet to you, then read on, 'cause there's more.

"[The protagonist] uses his sub machine gun to explicitly bisect an enemy, the two parts of the body lying separately on the ground, with copious blood spray," the board noted in one specific example of in-game action it used to back up its decision. "There are also a number of explicit close range decapitations involving both human and mutant creatures. The decapitations are the result of close-up throat slashing from behind and close-up gunshots to the throat." The "copious blood spray" covers walls, objects and even the game's "camera lens," while partially-dismembered corpses and severed heads also feature prominently.

The ratings board also blamed the game's "enhanced graphics" and "realistic behavior of human and mutant foes" for the decision, which it said heightened the impact of the violence to the point where it "cannot be accommodated at the MA15+ classification."

This isn't a videogame rating, this is the foundation for an Editor's Choice review.

In any case, no great shock here: The Australian authorities think that over-the-top, blood-drenched violence is inappropriate for minors. You know what? We agree. But keeping it out of the hands of married, employed, socially-responsible 27-year-olds isn't the answer. On the upside, the OFLC has given the green light to the Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87750-GTA-IV-Not-Censored-For-Australia] on the PC, so while you may be a little lacking in the "copious blood spray" department, you'll at least be able to take drugs, bang hookers, run people down and then shoot them dead. But with less blood spray.

Figure that one out.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
OK, makes sense, but HOLY SHIT I'M SO EXCITED NOW! It's like F.E.A.R. + Condemned = Best monolith shooter evar!

(I do miss NOLF though)

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Wow... this is exactly what people want to see. Not only is the game violent, but it's fun to play on top of that? I feel sorry for all the aussies out there.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Australia never seems do disappoint when you look for a worse place for gaming that's for sure. No offense, I think Australia is a great place but these bans are ridiculous. And what's so bad about blood anyway? Ok so it's not exactly sunshine and flowers but it's a normal thing. Every single person, animal and alien(maybe not the same color) has it. I seriously fail to see how killing mind controlled enemies bent on destroying you with more blood is worse than squishing, shooting, bombing and decapitating thousands of innocents as Niko Bellik with less blood.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Jursa said:
Australia never seems do disappoint when you look for a worse place for gaming that's for sure. No offense, I think Australia is a great place but these bans are ridiculous. And what's so bad about blood anyway? Ok so it's not exactly sunshine and flowers but it's a normal thing. Every single person, animal and alien(maybe not the same color) has it. I seriously fail to see how killing mind controlled enemies bent on destroying you with more blood is worse than squishing, shooting, bombing and decapitating thousands of innocents as Niko Bellik with less blood.
Cuz it's icky...we don't want kids seeing icky things!

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
It seems like Australia has refused to issue a rating for a lot of games recently.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
They should just change the blood to grey and call it sweat. Worked for Mortal Kombat on the SNES.

Zemalac

Apr 22, 2008
Malygris said:
"realistic behavior of human and mutant foes"
Does anyone else find that to be extremely funny? How do they know what kind of behavior is realistic for mutants?

Mr.Bubbles43

Jul 23, 2008
Virgil said:
They should just change the blood to grey and call it sweat. Worked for Mortal Kombat on the SNES.
Doom 2 on the GBA, they changed the blood from red to green and the game went form M to T.

SigmondK

Jul 17, 2008
That would be quite a lot of sweat. I could see the green blood working out though. Then again Australia seems to have this knack for entertaining me recently.

I mean seriously it is like a badge of honor for certain games to get banned in Australia. Then again I do feel bad for the Aussie gamers out there that actually have to deal with it or get their games from somewhere else.

Game sounds cool as well.

Balgus

Jul 15, 2008
For a country that has regular "roots on the beach" I'm surprised that they wont let a game thats violent in to the country. I mean half of the wildlife in Australia will kill you, a red pixel or two isn't going to hurt

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Yes, but you see, when you click that fire button, and the red pixels show on screen....THEN IT IS A CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY!

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Not wanting to sound like a wet blanket. But would toning down the gore just a tad really be that bad a 'sacrifice'? Unless your a medically diagnosed Sadist I cant see why not having a guys fall to bits in a cloud of blood when you shoot them is such a bad thing.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Cousin_IT said:
Not wanting to sound like a wet blanket. But would toning down the gore just a tad really be that bad a 'sacrifice'? Unless your a medically diagnosed Sadist I cant see why not having a guys fall to bits in a cloud of blood when you shoot them is such a bad thing.
I'm going to assume that the gore is overblown by the classifcation board. This sounds a lot like the first game.

meiadose

Oct 24, 2008
geeeezzz so this mean that my friends that have been in Australia are rigth. It is a great place to live if you´re not a gamer that is.If anyone is going to rise to contest this kind of opression you´l have my vote.