Dungeon Keeper MMOG Coming... To China

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dungeon Keeper MMOG Coming... To China

The late 90s Bullfrog classic NetDragon Websoft [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Keeper].

Called Dungeon Keeper Online, the new MMOG will built around the "themes, characters and other game content" taken from the strategy game in which "Evil Is Good." NetDragon Websoft will develop the game and have the exclusive rights to operate it in China and the surrounding region, including Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau. Dungeon Keeper Online will be NetDragon's first 3-D MMOG, but Executive Director Liu Dejian expressed confidence in his company's ability to translate the game into a winning MMO title. "We are confident that Dungeon Keeper Online will not only become successful in the Greater China region but also achieve remarkable results overseas," he said.

"The partnership marks a significant milestone for EA as it will enhance our intellectual property and extend our product reach throughout the Greater China region," added EA Pacific President Jon Niermann. "It will also further enhance our intellectual property with differentiated, high-quality games, particularly in the field of MMORPGs."

So, a Dungeon Keeper MMOG. On one hand, I like the concept; on the other, it's almost certainly going to be butchered beyond all recognition and sense by the time it hits the market, if it ever actually does. I may be generalizing here, but despite Chairman Liu's enthusiasm for overseas success, the fact that EA chose to license the game to a relatively unknown Chinese developer rather than a studio closer to home speaks volumes about the likelihood of North American gamers ever laying eyes on the thing.

Source: Voodoo Extreme [http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43283/Dungeon-Keeper-Goes-Massively-Multiplayer]

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
*stares*........What?

Why?! Dammit all! Not like this...granted, a new DK game would be awesome, but not like this. Bah!

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
manchild575 said:
wow are the chinese even allowed to play video games let alone a computer?
They are, but it's heavily regulated apparently. However, that doesn't seem to have stopped people dying from overly intensive gaming sessions.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
This is a disaster. The words "Chinese" and "MMOG" don't mix very well. If the DK MMOG ends up not sucking, I'll be very surprised.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
The phrase "dear god, why?!" springs immediately to mind. Sigh. Fricken EA.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
I know this is pretty old news but... but... I think I'm going to cry... What the hell is the world coming to?

Woem

May 28, 2009
It actually already had all the elements in place: you could take first-person control over any monster and use its specific attacks, or fly around as a fly with its many eyes, gain experience, ...

I wonder if they're going to be bold enough to bring back the Avatar as well.

Lenny Magic

Jan 23, 2009
Ewwwww.... [http://dungeon-keeper.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=183:dk-online-cest-parti-&catid=17&Itemid=45]It looks like wow

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
A evil-themed god game should remain an evil-themed god game. That, and since when did we trust Chinese to keep the game updated or fixed up properly?

There goes one of my favourite francises of all time.

Lenny Magic

Jan 23, 2009
I feel as though I should beat EA on the head with a frying pan... They dissolve a company then throw away their most awesome franchise.