Lovecraft's Re-Animator Re-animated

Feb 13, 2008
Lovecraft's Re-Animator Re-animated

H.P. Lovecraft's pastiche of Dr. Frankenstein is being re-re-animated in Carrion Re-Animating a little platform based game by Zombie Cow [http://www.zombie-cow.com/?page_id=375].

Made in under a month by Dr. Herbert West [http://www.lemmyandbinky.com/], the inventor of a special serum that can literally bring the dead back to life. There are a few side effects, of course, like the re-animated corpses turning into violent blood-thirsty zombies, but hey! You can't make an omelet without brutally mauling some dead chicken babies.

Problems arise when the still living relatives of the corpses arrive at his house, curious to see where their loved one has gone. What to do? Why, re-animate them, of course. Once the relatives see their deceased, they will be happy and leave. Surely nothing could go wrong with such a simple plan!

The game is a strange crossbreed between a platformer and a puzzle, with each relative leaving after you've kicked the corpse to them. This does leave the bloodthirsty corpse still wandering about the house and if they meet someone they don't know,well, it's only one more corpse. One more corpse that has its own loved ones, and may have informed the police...you get the idea.

The whole game plays in grainy black and white, reminiscent of the 1920's where the story was originally set; and whilst short, has an online score board where you can see how long you kept the rozzers from your door.

Check out download it. [http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43224.html]

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
Is this the film or the short stories? As the film was hilarious gory fun and the short stories were bleak slices of neo gothic brilliance..

Criticise this statement all you want but please dont use the tired arguement of "he was a crap writer he couldn't even describe the monsters!" I hate this as it's the only one I have ever heard!

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, unfortunately, he seems mainly be remembered as a racist, which considering the era, is like blaming the Three Stooges for filming in black n white (no pun intended).

Yes, we can all agree, racism is bad. Back then, people just assumed black people were lesser people, somewhere between slaves and animals, a commodity to be traded. It's stupid, sure, but its how it was, and to say nothing good came of any period history before last week, because some bad things happened, is just foolish.

I'm not saying its right, I'm saying its pretty much how everyone thought, I seem to remember Patton Oswalt talking about it tho, going to see an old western movie and there's people in the audience critising how the women and 'injuns' are treated. 'Dammit lady, I'm sorry, but the west was one by cruel old angry rude racists! That's just how it was!'

There again, wasn't lovecraft a big opium fiend? That'd pretty much make him cool again nowadays. He was a skinny bugger too, the magazines would have loved him! Real male model looks. (ie half dead).

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
Well I would, he was writing some fourty years after the Gothic tradition but was influenced by it, Lord Peter Dunsay, William Hope Hodgson and M.R. James are all contributory to his style.

At a reach you could state that Re-animator owes much to Shelly!

But back to topic the games pretty good fun, it's a platformer though which I wasnt sure about initially