The Witcher Comes To Consoles

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Witcher Comes To Consoles

Xbox 360 [http://www.cdprojekt.com/].

The console release of Dead to Rights 2 [http://www.thewitcher.com/].

"We're thrilled to continue our great relationship with Atari, whose refreshing focus on quality fits squarely with our own, to bring Geralt and The Witcher franchise to an even larger audience - fans who expressed to us very clearly that The Witcher would be a natural fit on consoles," said CD Projekt RED CEO Adam Kicinski. "Console gamers' tastes are maturing; they're looking for deeper story-driven experiences that are very hard to find in today's console market. We're developing this remake based upon the compelling narrative that helped The Witcher on PC sell more than a million copies and win more than 100 awards, building everything else from the ground up to be the definitive console RPG."

In a message [http://www.thewitcher.com/community/] posted on the The Witcher community website, CD Projekt co-founder Michal Kicinski moved to reassure both console and PC gamers that Rise of the White Wolf was not a sign that the studio was compromising either its commitment to quality or its roots as a PC developer. "We're not about to dumb down our games for anyone. We want to give players the best games, regardless of platform," he said. "It's important to us that each game plays to the platform's strengths while treating our players with respect. That was our development philosophy with The Witcher and it's our philosophy on all three of the games in development at CD Projekt RED, including Rise of the White Wolf. Anyone concerned that we're going to somehow offer a shallow RPG or abandon the PC platform simply because we're working on consoles can stop worrying."

The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf is currently slated for release in fall 2009, and even fans familiar with the PC release might want to keep their eyes on it. "The only thing we're taking directly from The Witcher is the story," Adam Kicinski said. "Everything else is being created from scratch or significantly reworked to get us to our end goal of delivering the ultimate console RPG."

Source: Voodoo Extreme [http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43309/The-Witcher-Rise-of-the-White-Wolf-Officially-Announced]

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Looks good. I recently bought Oblivion, because my love of Fallout 3 made me, and I discovered my love for this genre has been reborn.

Smiles

Mar 7, 2008
Yay! I have wanted to try the game ever since I read the book! all I own is an Xbox 360...

clarinetJWD

Jul 9, 2008
I've been playing this game for a long time now on my PC, and love it. It certainly has its problems, but it really makes up for them in other ways.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Nice, I was thinking of getting it on my PC, but now I can use my (precious) controller so yay.

Hope it's good though.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
lol cheeky bastards.

They whinge about piracy on pc gaming being the reason for poor sales, but as soon as an offline game hits 1 million they port it like mad, and pretend like they never had anything to say on the matter.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
That's great and all, but come on CD Projekt! AGAIN with Witcher remakes and ports?!

Can we get The Witcher 2: Electric Boogaloo already?

Reaperman Wompa said:
Nice, I was thinking of getting it on my PC, but now I can use my (precious) controller so yay.

Hope it's good though.
Whatever controller you've got, just plug the darned thing into your PC :|

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Whatever controller you've got, just plug the darned thing into your PC :|
A) I didn't know you could do that, I have the technical knowledge of a retarded seal.
B) Do the controls work well?
C) Why bother It's already on consoles, and I mainly play RTS's on my comp.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Sweet. I always thought this game looked pretty cool. Now I'll be able to play it ^__^

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Reaperman Wompa said:
C) Why bother It's already on consoles, and I mainly play RTS's on my comp.
It's cheaper on PC and it doesn't come to consoles till like, '09.

-and yes they control well.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
So the console version gets better controls, better performace and better graphics then the pc version? Thanks for atleast releasing the shitty port in advance this time.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
CD Projekt grows more and more epic every day. I wait for the time when Adam Kicinski travels to London and pulls the Sword from the Stone.

psico666

Dec 8, 2008
Yahtzee is going to love this one. Might purchase it but it will have to look better than the pc version without as many grind quests.

ward.

Aug 6, 2008
Malygris said:
"Console gamers' tastes are maturing; they're looking for deeper story-driven experiences that are very hard to find in today's console market.
Wait, what?

Is he somehow implying that the witchers story was deep?