Garry's Mod Rakes In Over $3 Million In Sales

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Garry's Mod Rakes In Over $3 Million In Sales

The popular Source engine [http://www.garrysmod.com/] has generated $3 million in sales over the last two years.

Since its commercial release on Valve's math [http://store.steampowered.com/].

Garry's Mod, which began as pet project for Half-Life: Full Life Consequences [http://orange.half-life2.com/hl2.html] video? That's Garry's Mod.

For Newman, the success of the mod was an unexpected (and obviously welcome) surprise. "I kind of expected that it would sell a big number of copies for the first day, then sell very few after that," he wrote on his blog [http://www.garry.tv/?p=694]. "I was kind of wrong, because over the next 2 years it went on to sell 312,541 copies. Which has totally knocked my socks off."

Aside from granting him "financial stability" and making "me a lot more experienced in c++", Garry's Mod also opened some doors for Newman. "I got to fly to Valve HQ and meet some game making dudes," Newman said. "I got to tell a nice bearded fellow how I was sick all over myself in the shower after eating airline food, and then realising I was talking to Warren Spector."

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Kudos to Garry for developing such an amazing Tool!

It truly represents how well a developer can cater a community if they're willing to allow people to play and create with their games. Valve has allowed this freedom, as a few other developers do too, and from it "Garry's Mod" has emerged.

An awesome personification of what modding can do and eventually lead to indie game making.

A path that many of us hope to tread.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Thats so awesome, congrats to Mr.Newman and his success! Now if I could only do something like this.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
I know the guy who wrote 90% of the code for Garry's mod, and no, it wasn't Garry Newman. Granted, it was Garry's concept, but did you catch that line about "learning more about c++?" Yeah he had to learn more about it since he simply hired the coders :p. My friend got paid $15,000 to do 90% of the work (which granted was a good amount for something before it was popular) but humorously enough, Garry Newman is a millionaire based off the project. Funny how that stuff works...someone writes a movie and the director and actors get all of the credit from the public but at least there are royalties. Garry Newman made a truckload of money off of my friend's labor. I'm not calling shannanigans, but seriously...something feels wrong about it.

Burld

Feb 9, 2008
Firstly, you don't have any evidence for that.
And secondly, if it was Garry's idea, and he paid the guy, and the guy accepted the job, and there was no slavery involved, then there is absolutely nothing wrong about it.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
KarmicToast said:
I know the guy who wrote 90% of the code for Garry's mod, and no, it wasn't Garry Newman. Granted, it was Garry's concept, but did you catch that line about "learning more about c++?" Yeah he had to learn more about it since he simply hired the coders :p. My friend got paid $15,000 to do 90% of the work (which granted was a good amount for something before it was popular) but humorously enough, Garry Newman is a millionaire based off the project. Funny how that stuff works...someone writes a movie and the director and actors get all of the credit from the public but at least there are royalties. Garry Newman made a truckload of money off of my friend's labor. I'm not calling shannanigans, but seriously...something feels wrong about it.
That's business, it's just the way it works. The dude who was the key grip on Star Wars isn't a millionaire.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Keane Ng said:
That's business, it's just the way it works. The dude who was the key grip on Star Wars isn't a millionaire.
Granted, but the Key Grip moves shit. If Lucas had gone up to someone and said, "I have a concept...and about 10% of the work done for it. Finish the script, film it, and make it happen." then that hypothetical person would indeed be a millionaire.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Burld said:
Firstly, you don't have any evidence for that.
And secondly, if it was Garry's idea, and he paid the guy, and the guy accepted the job, and there was no slavery involved, then there is absolutely nothing wrong about it.
I don't have any evidence for what? He was my friend. I watched it. He bounced ideas off of me. I was pre-alpha testing it before you ever heard of it. I even helped a little.

And no, I wasn't saying it was wrong; you misunderstand. What I am saying is that its odd that in the video game industry, key creators are denied certain royalty benefits that other major forms of media have. I wasn't saying that anyone here got screwed.

Rankao

Mar 10, 2008
KarmicToast said:
Keane Ng said:
Granted, but the Key Grip moves shit. If Lucas had gone up to someone and said, "I have a concept...and about 10% of the work done for it. Finish the script, film it, and make it happen." then that hypothetical person would indeed be a millionaire.
Likely, but Bill Gates didn't make Windows, Steve Jobs didn't make GUI max OS, Xerox did and they stole it from each other and had their programmers make it. That is why when you do a Indie programming project you request at least a small percentage of ownership.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
I remember the first time I launched a train into the air with the power of balloons.

Or the first time I played Garry's Mod multiplayer and launched other players into the air with the power of balloons.

Balloons were awesome.

Burld

Feb 9, 2008
KarmicToast said:
And no, I wasn't saying it was wrong; you misunderstand. What I am saying is that its odd that in the video game industry, key creators are denied certain royalty benefits that other major forms of media have. I wasn't saying that anyone here got screwed.
KarmicToast said:
something feels wrong about it.
What an amusing discrepancy.
From what you've said I can surmise that he wasn't denied royalty benefits but rather never asked for them. What it seems like to me is that he did some work and got paid a previously agreed on amount.
And the thing about no evidence wasn't a particularly serious comment. It was careless, sorry for that.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Burld said:
KarmicToast said:
KarmicToast said:
something feels wrong about it.
What an amusing discrepancy.
From what you've said I can surmise that he wasn't denied royalty benefits but rather never asked for them. What it seems like to me is that he did some work and got paid a previously agreed on amount.
And the thing about no evidence wasn't a particularly serious comment. It was careless, sorry for that.

Oh yes, quite amusing. Quite. Yes, yes chap, good show on a discrepancy and all that rot.
Don't take chopped quotes out of context. Something to me feels wrong about the SYSTEM, how artists/creators/etc. in video games don't seem to maintain financial benefits for their art...unlike other forms, such as music and film. I don't feel like anyone in this situation got SCREWED because it is indeed how the system works, and I wouldn't expect anything to change on account of one small job in a world of game industry dealings. I hope that that cleared everything up for you, since you were having some trouble understanding.

Burld

Feb 9, 2008
KarmicToast said:
Oh yes, quite amusing. Quite. Yes, yes chap, good show on a discrepancy and all that rot. Don't take chopped quotes out of context. Something to me feels wrong about the SYSTEM, how artists/creators/etc. in video games don't seem to maintain financial benefits for their art...unlike other forms, such as music and film. I don't feel like anyone in this situation got SCREWED because it is indeed how the system works, and I wouldn't expect anything to change on account of one small job in a world of game industry dealings. I hope that that cleared everything up for you, since you were having some trouble understanding.
Ok, let's put the quote in context.
KarmicToast said:
Still carries the same message, but with longer text. Maybe the trouble is the way you communicated what you thought, because that does seem to be a complaint not just about the system but also about the creator (or non-creator, apparently). Anyway, I think everything is cleared up now. I do actually agree with you that if someone does that kind of work they deserve royalties, but that kind of demand needs to be made by the people in the industry themselves, because the employers aren't going to worry about it, and neither should they, since they pay people who are willing to work for them.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Burld said:
Ok, let's put the quote in context.
KarmicToast said:
Still carries the same message, but with longer text. Maybe the trouble is the way you communicated what you thought, because that does seem to be a complaint not just about the system but also about the creator (or non-creator, apparently). Anyway, I think everything is cleared up now. I do actually agree with you that if someone does that kind of work they deserve royalties, but that kind of demand needs to be made by the people in the industry themselves, because the employers aren't going to worry about it, and neither should they, since they pay people who are willing to work for them.
Okay, you win. You're cooler than me, and I'm wrong about my own opinions and can't communicate. Go ahead, take your trophy and your cookie. You deserve them.