Red Bull Becomes First Home Sponsor

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Red Bull Becomes First Home Sponsor

Sony's PlayStation 3 Home will receive its wings with its first corporate sponsor, Red Bull.

The wing-granting energy drink will be the first consumer brand to build its own "Home Space": a virtual tropical island hosting airplane-flying mini-games based on the company's Red Bull Air Race competition (pictured).

John Beasley, the brand manager for Red Bull in Britain, says that Home allows companies to develop "memorable and rich content" for their products.

"It's an easy environment for brands to take that first step into gaming," he explained.

"The game gave us the first opportunity to recreate in the gaming world what we try to do in the real world, which is to facilitate interaction, to give people stories, memories, experiences and a really good opportunity to interact with the brand," he said.

PlayStation Home will act as a digital world and online multiplayer interface for the PlayStation Network, Sony's counterpart to Microsoft's Xbox Live service. Similar to Second Life, users will control an avatar roaming a 3D world whenever Sony decides to publicly launch it.

Source: Brand Republic [http://www.brandrepublic.com/Revolution/News/866365/Red-Bull-becomes-first-brand-PlayStation-Home/] via GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/red-bull-first-to-sign-for-home-space_6]

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Logan Frederick said:
"The game gave us the first opportunity to recreate in the gaming world what we try to do in the real world, which is to facilitate interaction, to give people stories, memories, experiences and a really good opportunity to interact with the brand," he said.
Maybe I am just that old...but I fail to see the connection of "stories, memories, experiences" surround a virtual energy drink skin, in a virtual world. What possible story am I going to find in a lounge that will facilitate interaction? Who is lining up to visit the Red Bull corner of Home to swap....energy drink related stories/memories?

"Hey remember that time...we were like...chillin'?"

"Yeah...and we were talking and interacting and creating mmemories."

"Yeah that was crazy. There was so much virtual Red Bull."

"Word."

Rosszul

Oct 15, 2008
Logan Frederick said:
John Beasley, the brand manager for Red Bull in Britain, says that Home allows companies to develop "memorable and rich content" for their products.
Are they trying to tell us we can drink Red Bull in home?

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
When is Home coming out anyways? I heard about it like, two years ago, and this is the first I've heard since.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
I'd love to start a pool on when it'll finally be released.

"I've got $50 US on one years time!"