Activision Announces Guitar Hero, Call of Duty and Tony Hawk sequels.

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Activision Announces Guitar Hero, Call of Duty and Tony Hawk sequels.

Shock and awe as mega publisher Activision Blizzard stays true to its word of "exploiting" its key franchises. Bizarre Creations, however, does bring a new original title to the table.

At an in-game advertising conference in downtown Manhattan, hosted by the Microsoft-owned Massive Inc, publisher Activision Blizzard announced [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/12/03/activision-announces-guitar-hero-5-new-tony-hawk-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-more-at-in-game-ad-conference/] its 2009 line-up of sequels with new entries slated for its Guitar Hero, Call of Duty and Tony Hawk franchises.

This falls in-line with what Activision CEO Bobby Kotick Ghostbusters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.76174][/I] at the time, Kotick said "[These games] don't have the potential to be exploited every year on every platform with clear sequel potential [or] have the potential to become $100 million dollar franchises." It appears as though we can now say for certain as to which franchises he was referring to.

Activision didn't have much to show of the freshly announced Guitar Hero 5 (which is most likely a working title), though since the conference was focused on advertising, it did show off a scene from the game, complete with a Burger King ad in the background. In the case of Call of Duty, gamers can look forward to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, a sequel to last year's hoo-rah inducing Middle-East shooter. While nothing has been confirmed, the absence of series numbering leads us to believe that Activision is planning to split the franchise in two, with one series focused on a modern setting while another stays in its original World War 2 format.

Veteran skater Tony Hawk is coming back from a vacation next October, having taken the year off due to an intense new rival in EA's Skate. Activision is looking to mix things up for the tenth entry in the series, promising that players won't be using a controller in their hands to play it, hinting towards a possible foot or motion based controller. Regardless, the title is once again being developed by the series creator, Neversoft.

Finally, if you're tired of sequels, Activision-owned Bizarre Creations is working on an original racing title that they describe as "Mario Kart meets Forza Motorsports." But you're not tired of sequels, are you? Just in case, Bizarre will also be hard at work on the next James Bond game, though it is set to be an original adventure and not tied to any movie storyline whatsoever.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
You gotta love how their next original property is described as a mash-up of two racing games, especially two games that have no business ever being in the same sentence of a game description. Geez, Forza Motorsports with red shells, just the thought....

Oh, but who am I kidding? I'm getting the new guitar hero. I'm a slave.

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Lance Icarus said:
You gotta love how their next original property is described as a mash-up of two racing games, especially two games that have no business ever being in the same sentence of a game description. Geez, Forza Motorsports with red shells, just the thought....
I think they went with Mario Kart because it's the only item-based racer that people recognize as being decent. My guess is that it'll be something like Auto Assault.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Is that exploitation quote really something he said? I always thought that little bit about exploitation was a joke people were making about the company...

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Thank goodness for the Modern Warfare sequel. I will now only be playing Infinity Ward Call of Duties. You know why? Because Keifer Sutherland is annoying.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Jared Rea said:
Shock and awe
This is becoming some sort of meme, the way it's been thrown around. I didn't really like that level too much too.

As for the news post, it seems Activision is filling it's new role as EA quite nicely.

Edit: Yeh, I now know that the term 'shock and awe' is not from Call of Duty 4. Don;t need to tell me again.

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
stompy said:
Jared Rea said:
Shock and awe
This is becoming some sort of meme, the way it's been thrown around. I didn't really like that level too much too.
It's about time to put down the controller and pick up a newspaper :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_and_awe

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Jared Rea said:
It's about time to put down the controller and pick up a newspaper :(
Ah, sorry 'bout that. Though, why would I be reading about it in a newspaper?

Edit: Regardless of the term's origins, I still see it used a lot more since the release of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare... though, that could just be because I recognise the phrase now.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
stompy said:
Jared Rea said:
Shock and awe

As for the news post, it seems Activision is filling it's new role as EA quite nicely.
Um, Shock and Awe is a strategy of using overwhelming force right at the beginning of a war, actually going beyond what you can sustain, to completely crush the enemy's morale. And is anyone surprised that Activision is milking franchises? I'm personally waiting for Call of Duty: Post Modern Combat.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
CoD4 #2 FTW! I hope they focus less on MP and more on expending the great but short SP.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
Is that exploitation quote really something he said? I always thought that little bit about exploitation was a joke people were making about the company...
Yea, thats what I thought as well. I can't believe they actually said that. I'm starting to hate Activision a whole lot more than EA.

MosDes

Jul 16, 2008
Aardvark said:
I, for one, am looking forward to Guitar Hawk: Call of Hero
I don't quite get that one... but we could look out for "CoD: Guitar Hero Stages" expansion for "Call of Duty: America in Trouble"