Behold: The Xbox 360 Portable

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Behold: The Xbox 360 Portable

Expert modder Ben Heck(endorn) takes great gaming devices, rips them all to hell, and then rebuilds them into functioning works of art. His sexy new Xbox 360 Portable is another one for the books.

Commissioned as a one-of-a-kind project for some lucky bastard, the extremely chic sister's kitty [http://benheck.com/12-02-2008/new-xbox-360-portable]. And that's a big damn (adorable) cat.

Aside from looking slick, the Xbox 360 Portable has a removable standard Xbox 360 hard drive to allow for quick data swapping, accessible memory card slots, a sleek, minimalistic button layout, and an internal wi-fi module. I'd sure love to keep one in my trunk, so I can plunk it down, plug it in, and get some on-the-go instant gaming action.

Hacking gaming consoles is a fun hobby for some, but Heck approaches the task like a sculptor attacks a solid block of stone. He has a vision, and it's pretty awesome. My personal favorite is the fully functioning computer he built out of an empty case of Miller Genuine Draft [http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/mgdp-the-beer-box-computer]. Talk about style.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I think the guy did the same with the PS3, then put it on e-bay for OVER 9000 dollars (he said the money was going to charity....hey...some people bought the damn thing)

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
Dante_Alucard said:
It's gonna suck when this thing red rings.
If Heck has the knowledge to build the damn thing, I'm sure he can fix the red ring of death.

JakalMc

Nov 26, 2008
Quick question: can Microsoft sue this guy?
Or at least justify writing him an angry letter? :p

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
JakalMc said:
I've seen a lot of mods of wii's and Nintendo Praise them. They even put the picture in their Nintendo Power. I'm Sure Microsoft aren't jerks when it comes to creativity.

JakalMc

Nov 26, 2008
Yeah, I was just curious because technically it is 'modding' or 'hacking' (or whatever you want to call it), and usually it is frowned upon.

Personally, I hope this guy makes a killing selling these things. He's an amazing talent.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
JakalMc said:
Yeah, I was just curious because technically it is 'modding' or 'hacking' (or whatever you want to call it), and usually it is frowned upon.

Personally, I hope this guy makes a killing selling these things. He's an amazing talent.
No...they just don't like you using the things for online play. Voids the warranty too I think.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
JakalMc said:
That right there is text book case of fair use, not damaging the original license holders market, and even arguably expanding it.

Now modding the console so it can play outside region games, they get a wee bit fussy over.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
JakalMc said:
Theoretically speaking, if it you bought the console, you own it. You can do anything you want with it as long as you don't affect the market. You could smash it to hell, and they can't do anything. You own the parts inside the machine, they can't tell you what you're not allowed to do with them.

SmoothGlover

Dec 3, 2008
Would be pretty awesome, although i cant imagine it would last that long without an external power source. Still, well worth it for the time it did work.

Indigo_Dingo said:
So, wait, its like the Sega Nomad?
The sega nomad was awesome lol, i remember my friend had one and when i saw it, it was just about the most incredible thing i had ever seen. (sheltered childhood)

Nov 28, 2007
SmoothGlover said:
Would be pretty awesome, although i cant imagine it would last that long without an external power source. Still, well worth it for the time it did work.

Indigo_Dingo said:
So, wait, its like the Sega Nomad?
The sega nomad was awesome lol, i remember my friend had one and when i saw it, it was just about the most incredible thing i had ever seen. (sheltered childhood)
My brother-in-law still has one. It's cool, but it sucks up batteries like mad.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
SmoothGlover said:
I'd be greatly surprised if it ran at all without an external power source; the 360 is a power-thirsty beast in operation. I also think you'd probably get scorchingly-uncomfortable if you tried to play it on your lap...

I think this is more for making it LAN-friendly than for making it a road-warrior gaming platform. (Or maybe it's for the sheer joy of the craftsmanship.)

-- Steve

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
If I was Microsoft, I would hire this dude and start making these. That is awesome.

SmoothGlover

Dec 3, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
SmoothGlover said:
I'd be greatly surprised if it ran at all without an external power source; the 360 is a power-thirsty beast in operation. I also think you'd probably get scorchingly-uncomfortable if you tried to play it on your lap...

I think this is more for making it LAN-friendly than for making it a road-warrior gaming platform. (Or maybe it's for the sheer joy of the craftsmanship.)

-- Steve
I hadn't even thought about LAN, but yeah, now you've said that it does make more sense.

I guess there could be the opportunity for a little cottage industry there, i expect there's a few people who would pay to have one made for them. (as has been made glaringly obvious by the responses to this article).

Still, the maker seems to be happier moving from one thing to the next so i dont suppose it would ever be.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
He makes a lot of cool stuff, but this is really close to the top.