Science Finds Male Nerds Likely to be Virgins

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Science Finds Male Nerds Likely to be Virgins

A shocking scientific study confirms what we all feared was true: "male science nerds" are least likely to get laid.

An Australian research project for the Sexual Health journal questioned students ages 16 to 25 about the activeness of their sex lives.

The saddening results found that "males in the study were less likely to have had sex as a group compared to the group of females in the sample."

If you happen to be one of those fellows with an interest in biology or chemistry, then you too are "less likely to have had sex compared to their counterparts in other faculties."

Researches were able to derive some social explanations for this phenomenon, such as the apparent tendency of partiers to engage in lovemaking activities. Psychotherapist Stephen Carroll believes the problem isn't caused by any unattractiveness of nerds, but that their work habits were a detriment to their social lives.

Carroll asked, "Who are the people at unis that go to the rave parties and the bar? It's not the nerdy boy science students. They're carrying on doing their experiments, going to the library or doing their assignments."

Dr. Chris Ganora, who was a local science student prior to graduating, disputed the claims. He remarked, "Although we may have been a little nerdier than the other students, let's just say the gender ratio wasn't as bad as engineering."

(Image [http://flickr.com/photos/marcogomes/1444095932/])

Source: The Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/3547661/Male-science-nerds-most-likely-to-be-virgins-study-says.html]

KendayTheAbsolute

Jul 30, 2008
WOW science found out what the whole world already knew.
(maybe not the best think to post on a gaming website)

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
More or less when reliable condoms reached the market. Because it usually means you're lonely if you ain't religious.

MSORPG pl4y3r

Aug 7, 2008
Most ppl know this already mind you scientists are strange ppl, they need somthing to do, leave ppl like that around with nothing to do and.........well, say hallo to the big thing with 9 arms and 57.26485 isotopes in their blood straem, now lets meet the monster who will destroy us.....

On topic; this is only a problem for the nerds and then its only a problem for them if they care, most probably don't but I'v only met one or two nerds so I cant realy say.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
What a horrible age group on which to base the survey. Everyone who has watched Mad Men knows full well that men don't reach their sexual prime until they're 30, use Brylcreem, wear bespoke suits and pull at least six figures a year.

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
When was being a virgin decided as a bad thing anyway?
Well, the article doesn't say it's a bad thing.

Also: ...seriously?

Edit: "The saddening results found that," ok nevermind.

Aiden Rebirth

Nov 19, 2008
wow I never would have guessed. This is such a positive use of money in advancing the scientific field. way more useful than curing cancer...
This study is a bonified waste of time. Who thinks they need a scientific study.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
no it doesn't, but why is there so much social stigma attached to being one? Although you don't have to necessarily be religious to be a virgin. Morals might be another reason, although such moral beliefs often do coincide with religious beliefs, but not always.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks the nerdy dude in the picture looks really awesome?

I can't say I'm suprised by this, though I myself know quite a few nerdy friends that don't do too badly in the relationships department. Or maybe they aren't really nerds, can a nerd be highly social and still considered a nerd?

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Alas, as a freshman Engineering major the outlook looks grim for me indeed.