Star Trek Online Timeline Detailed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Star Trek Online Timeline Detailed

Star Trek Online [http://crypticstudios.com/], which will take place in a "much more volatile" galaxy than we're used to.

The game will begin in the year 2409, roughly 30 years after the events of Voyager [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253754/]. Along with the inevitable advances in technology, the galaxy itself is a very different place, as the effects of the events in Nemesis continue to reverberate beyond the Romulan Empire, which has split into two factions. Things have become so bad, in fact, that Romulan Praetor Tal'aura is now accepting food shipments from the Federation, although she refuses offers of assistance with negotiations with the breakaway faction, preferring to play hardball instead by assign the task of retaking the renegade planets to everyone's favorite Romulan greaseball, Fleet Commander Tomalak.

The Klingons, meanwhile, see opportunity in the Romulan weakness and have begun launching raids into their space, retaking Khitomer and the surrounding sector. The Federation isn't pleased, but can do little but express that displeasure to the Klingons via diplomatic channels, who respond that they are simply taking back what is rightfully theirs. Tensions are also running high between the Bajorans and the Cardassians as a result of war crimes trials being held by the Bajorans, which the Cardassians appear less than enthusiastic about participating in.

Along with Tomalak, other familiar faces appearing in the game include Ambassador Spock, who is still leading Vulcan/Romulan unification efforts; Ro Laren, who has joined the Bajoran militia and taken over as head of security on Deep Space Nine; and The Doctor - not the Time Lord [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87837-U-K-Group-Calls-For-Female-Doctor-Who] but the Emergency Medical Hologram, who in response to efforts to have his mobile emitter transferred for study by Starfleet scientists has taken up the cause of rights for artificial life forms.

Aspiring redshirts and would-be starship captains can learn more about the Star Trek Online universe here [http://www.startrekonline.com/timeline/2382]. No official release date has been set.

Note For Nerds: Even though he appeared in only four episodes of Babylon 5 [http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TNG/] as Narn Ambassador (and later, Centauri punching bag) G'Kar. Sadly, Star Trek Online's portrayal of Fleet Commander Tomalak will not be fleshed out by Katsulas; he died in February 2006 of lung cancer.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Is anyone else scared out there that this has the potential of being mishandled which will only put any other future Star Trek games on the backburner?

Anytime a company, when it comes to certain franchises, comes out early with a grandiose detialed star-spanning tail...it somehow fails. Shades on Star Wars Galaxies anyone? Tabula Rasa? Conan? Matrix Online?

I so despretly want this to succeed, but I'm admitedly very skeptical right now.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Id forgotten this game was being made. MMOs sure do take their sweet time to make

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Wooo! More news on Star Trek online. It's an MMO I'm really looking forward to, and I hope it won't be a flop...

But looking at the games Alone Disciple listed, it might just be one.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I'm more concerned about the apparent need to tie everything into pre-established continuity even though 30 years have passed since the last "officially" documented events in the Star Trek universe. Kind of like boldly going where everybody has gone before, minus the sly sexual connotations.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
I have some faith in this game. There's a very extensive community all offering their thoughts and opinions. The developers seem to be listening to us. There was a thread on the STO forums to make a point to ensure that the ship's scale is more realistic.

They are being very cautious about the ideas they choose. A lot of talk on the forums has to do with EVE Online and the features fom EVE that could really work well in STO. A lot of people are saying how they don't want to do a one hour tutorial before even beginning to learn the game, and Cryptic is listening.

One ship I really want them to put into the game is the Century class (Also known as the Enterprise - F). It's actually not a canon ship, but she's so gorgeous.

Oh god so delicious.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Woe be the loss of Andreas Katsulas, he was one of the best sci-fi actors on television, present in Star Trek TNG, Enterprise, and Babylon 5. Damn I miss that guy.

As to the game, interesting but I tend to care little about a game until it is finally released, as between now and the Beta much can change, and over the betatest period, it can all be completely reworked. What we all get hyped about now may never be what we get.
At least Cliff Simon lives. Unfortunately, he is not immortal like Ba'al. I'm not a big fan of Star Trek, never was, they kept recycling ideas, but I still get sad when a great actor(so sad about Bernie Mac's death too) bites the dust.