DS Scrabble Teaches Kids Swear Words

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
DS Scrabble Teaches Kids Swear Words

Ubisoft's DS Scrabble: 2007 Edition contains questionable language for kids, including "tits" and "f*ckers," that one British mom discourages parents from supporting.

Thirty-six year-old Tonya Carrington bought her eight year-old son Ethan the innocent digital board-game conversion of Scrabble only to discover that its vocabulary was more vulgar than expected.

Carrington tested the game herself and was appalled when her computer opponent tried to use "tits" as an answer with the definition "a garden bird" or "an informal word for female breasts." Soon she found "f*ckers" ("a slang word for chavs") and toke ("a draw on a cannabis cigarette") to also be featured.

"Ethan is doing really well with English at school, so I decided to get this to help boost his vocabulary - but obviously not like that," said the concerned mother.

She continued, "The worst thing is that there's an age rating of 3+ on the box and no advisory warning about adult language on the packaging at all. It's disgraceful. Scrabble is a game for families, but I've had to ban Ethan from playing this version because of the horrible words it uses. It's such a shame for him, because he loves Scrabble."

A Ubisoft spokesperson stated, "We are sorry the game has caused concern, but it includes a 'junior' option that stops it using unusual or offensive words."

Carrington replied, "I read the booklet that came with it, and there was no mention of a junior version. It should be made much clearer."

The Ubisoft representative might've meant the Junior Scrabble 2007 edition which was attacked last year for similar lesbian references [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/77907-Scrabble-Attacked-for-Lesbian-Slang] in its gameplay. A note for any publisher offering potentially child-friendly titles: a quick run-through should be able to spot any of these potential adult issues if a mother can discover it and turn it into a potential public relations nightmare.

Source: Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1092613/Mothers-fury-Nintendo-Scrabble-game-taught-son-swear-words.html]

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I always though slang and names, like fuckers, weren't allowed in Scrabble anyway.

Do you think this is the work of a similar disgruntled employee who made that sheep in Animal crossing say "Nigga"?

"Fuckers - A slang word for Chavs" is the calling card of a disgruntled programmer & whoever they are, they deserve a medal.

Taking offence at 'tits', is a bit much though. That's so childish the kid would have known it anyway, just like the words 'Balls', 'Cock' & 'Pussy'.

Isn't it funny how many words in the English language which has a legitimate use in describing nature & animals also have a childish slang meaning?

You could get banned on some forums for saying "When I was walking in the country and playing with my ball, I heard a Cock cry & saw a pair of Tits sitting in the branches of a Pussy Willow".

Mean Mother Rucker

Oct 27, 2008
Jamash said:
I always though slang and names, like fuckers, weren't allowed in Scrabble anyway.

Do you think this is the work of a similar disgruntled employee who made that sheep in Animal crossing say "Nigga"?

"Fuckers - A slang word for Chavs" is the calling card of a disgruntled programmer & whoever they are, they deserve a medal.

Taking offence at 'tits', is a bit much though. That's so childish the kid would have known it anyway, just like the words 'Balls', 'Cock' & 'Pussy'.

Isn't it funny how many words in the English language which has a legitimate use in describing nature & animals also have a childish slang meaning?

You could get banned on some forums for saying "When I was walking in the country and playing with my ball, I heard a Cock cry & saw a pair of Tits sitting in the branches of a Pussy Willow".
I applaud you, my good man.
Honestly, if it's a problem, take the game away, don't whine about it and let the little kid keep the bloody thing. The language could be a problem, but about the Junior edition, I think you would notice that sitting on a menu, it's not like Where's Waldo and the Junior edition option is written on the rim of his glasses. Also, if the child is indeed under the age of five, he/she will forget the word if you take out the supply of said vernacular.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Anybody remember the Scrabble game in the movie Johnny Dangerously? I think Nintendo doesn't.

-- Steve

PS: "You can't play that word!... It's hyphenated."

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Oh no! A kid spelling swear words! Call the press!

Toke also refers to gambling, a tip to the dealer.

Jeez.

BleachedBlind

May 19, 2008
I really don't think it's anything to be concerned about. I had learned 80-90% of English swear words by the time I was in 2nd grade. The kid's fine, and the mother is overprotective.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I never understood all this aversion to outside forces teaching your kids to swear. I learned all my curses (or at least the Main Four) from my parents. I understood right away, mature language is "bad" language. As Lewis Black said "We are adults. These are the words we use to express fustration, rage, anger in order that we don't pick up a tire iron and beat the shit out of someone."

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Grow up mom. If your kid can't handle computer player scoring 8 points for tits on a double word score then she just isn't ready for the big boy leagues of board games.

Penis might be only worth seven points but if you ever get to play it in a scrabble game, who's the real wiener huh?

ukslim

Sep 27, 2007
First of all - there's no '*' tile, so 'f*ckers' can't be used. Although maybe the '*' is standing in for a blank tile?

Secondly, 'fuckers' is in both the TWL and SOWPODS official Scrabble word lists, so it should be in the game. So, incidentally is 'motherfuckers'.

Scrabble is a game of using any word that exists, to get scores.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Tits are small birds. Toke is a smoke from a pipe, usually marijuana. Pretty sure fucker can be used to describe someone that is severely disliked. But really, it doesn't matter what they mean since they're all in the Scrabble Word List. The mother is just overprotective.