Star Wars: The Old Republic Payment Confusion

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Star Wars: The Old Republic Payment Confusion

Confusion reigns supreme regarding the business model of the upcoming Electronic Arts [http://www.swtor.com/] disavows comments by CEO John Riccitiello that the game will be microtransaction based.

Specific payment models for the upcoming BioWare [http://www.bioware.com]-developed MMOG haven't been officially revealed, but in a conference call to investors yesterday, Riccitiello said the game would make use of microtransactions. Microtransaction-based games typically have no monthly fees, but rely on small payments for in-game material, like currency or equipment, which free players don't have access to.

"We are continuing to stick to the plan relative to building out our direct-to-consumer models which include micro-transactions and subscriptions. The recent launch of Star Wars [http://www.warhammeronline.com] online MMO, are mid-session games which are micro-transaction-based. You'll be hearing more about those in the February [conference] call."

But soon after reporting on that statement, Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56292] received a statement from EA denying the whole thing and claiming the CEO's comments were the result of a "misunderstanding," saying, "No statements have been made about the Star Wars business model."

So, which is it? Is this an honest misunderstanding, or did Riccitiello just blow the surprise? Nobody knows, and at this point it looks like we're going to have to wait until February to find out. It is an interesting idea, though, and if true would represent a very fundamental shift in attitude toward the MMOG market. By taking the microtransaction route right from the start - with BioWare's Old Republic setting, no less, one of the few properties with a legitimate chance to unseat Blizzard [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] behemoth. But staying out of that particular meat grinder is no guarantee of success; the microtransaction model is widely used in the Asian market, but whether or not it will meet with similar success in North America is another question entirely.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
This does not bode well...I sense a disturbance in the force.

Bad Star Wars jokes aside, this is a fairly bizarre blunder to make. Either you have a business model or you don't. Seems someone is talking when they shouldn't be.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Is this an honest misunderstanding, or did Riccitiello just blow the surprise?
Well, since designing an MMO with microtransactions in mind is a totally different beast than designing a subscription-based one, this decision has almost certainly been made. I would bet that he assumed something was public knowledge that wasn't, and spilled the beans earlier than EA wanted.

Bioware could also have a micropayment-style business model in mind that is different than the current "Item Mall" style free-to-play MMOs, and they wanted to make it a big thing when it was announced. Something like paying for individual modules, for example.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
I hate the microtransaction model. It's not even about who's played the longest then, but who has the most money.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Have to say, it doesn't matter much to me. The old republic franchise is ruined for me as an MMO. I played WoW, but I just don't like it as much as a single player RPG. If I'm going to shell out money for a game, I want to feel like the star character. KoTOR and KoTOR 2 pulled that off, but I can't imagine an MMO being able to do that.

darksideslight

Nov 26, 2008
The Old Republic has absolutely zero chance of competing with WoW, regardless of business model. When will these executives get it through their thick, greedy skulls that 11 million people is a freakishly large number that will not be duplicated by another game. It just won't, give it up.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Singing Gremlin said:
I hate the microtransaction model. It's not even about who's played the longest then, but who has the most money.
It's just like real life: all the rich kids have the best stuff.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Make people pay to play Jedi. You'll make millions and limit the force-tards. So long as the Microtransactions aren't for money, power, or in game mechanical bonus's.

Maybe EA doesn't agree with Biowares assesment though. Bioware is a stand up company, they havn't done wrong yet... it's understandible they might butt heads with EA.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Singing Gremlin said:
People play games to have fun. If I'm playing a game, and I don't have the money for these transactions because I don't make enough money, where is the fun? If I'm a poor person or put my family and their future first, I have to play a poor person in my RPG? That does not sound like fun to me. If they want to do microtransactions for mostly cosmetic reasons, that sounds appealing to me - I could save up money for something I want in the game without it having an impact on my gameplay.

darksideslight said:
The Old Republic has absolutely zero chance of competing with WoW, regardless of business model. When will these executives get it through their thick, greedy skulls that 11 million people is a freakishly large number that will not be duplicated by another game. It just won't, give it up.
Just like Everquest! oh... wait...

Eventually WoW will no longer be the best MMORPG. It may not be for 5-10 years, but eventually someone will come out with something better. I laugh to myself thinking, "Yeah, probably Blizzard with a sequel to it." Seriously though, it's only a matter of time and when a company decides to put the effort and risk into going for it.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
SmugFrog said:
Singing Gremlin said:
People play games to have fun. If I'm playing a game, and I don't have the money for these transactions because I don't make enough money, where is the fun? If I'm a poor person or put my family and their future first, I have to play a poor person in my RPG? That does not sound like fun to me. If they want to do microtransactions for mostly cosmetic reasons, that sounds appealing to me - I could save up money for something I want in the game without it having an impact on my gameplay.

darksideslight said:
Just like Everquest! oh... wait...

Eventually WoW will no longer be the best MMORPG. It may not be for 5-10 years, but eventually someone will come out with something better. I laugh to myself thinking, "Yeah, probably Blizzard with a sequel to it." Seriously though, it's only a matter of time and when a company decides to put the effort and risk into going for it.
Funny you should say that, isn't Blizzard working on a mysterious "Next Gen" MMO?

fatfoogoo

Aug 12, 2008
A fairly interesting turn of events at any rate. Was the microtransactions teaser simply a slip of the tongue? Did Riccitiello let the proverbial cat at of the bag? Is EA perhaps simply throwing the idea out there and measuring consumer response?

Remember, EA's also working on (yes, even after all the delays) Battlefield Heroes, so it's not the first time they'd be tossing the idea into the ring and judging how audiences react.

While Shacknews got a response from EA, it should be a VERY interesting conference call in Feb.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
I like this idea, actually, because it means there's a very good chance that it will come out on the 360 and PS3.

Dyskresiac

Nov 30, 2007
This is a horrible idea. As someone who could easily afford a microtransaction game, I am still against it for 3 main principles.

#1 Reason: Children.

While my dreamworld utopia of an ADULT MMO (AoC) was slaughtered by the company who designed it, the idea still rests in my head that children need to have their own playpen. Look at Maple Story or any other F2P MMO, and you will find kids running around screaming "smegma" every sentence and stealing your kills because they find enjoyment out of griefing other people. If they get banned, they just make a new account. IP Banned? Get a proxy.

#2 Reason: Farmers.

Here's an idea. Let's make it even EASIER for the Chinese to camp all the bosses with characters so that the paying players need to pay outrageous prices for items that can be found in the starting areas. (FFXI anyone?)

#3 Reason: Longevity

Aside from Maple Story, F2P Micro-based MMOs rarely last for more than a year until they're on the backburner. Why? They're only profitable for that initial rush. After that, people lose the NEED to pay, and are self-sustaining. Not to mention, population in these games deteriorate at incredible rates after the first 3-4 months. If they're looking to make a quick buck, by all means. However, if they're trying to make a game that would live as long as WoW, they'd be forced to make it sub based so the money is a constant flow.

My favorite Hybrid of games are those that are pay to play, but you can purchase decorative outfits to customize your character... though don't provide an unfair advantage.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
darksideslight said:
Star Trek Online. I believe it will draw a similar number of players, and maybe a lot of ship-jumping

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
If it isn't micro transaction based and is instead supported on monthly fees, I won't play it. Simple as that. I already pay for xbox live and frankly that costs more than it's worth. I quit WoW because I refuse to pay through the nose for a game that feels too much like a job already.

Bill Hodge

Jun 15, 2011
Perfect World International is a micro-transaction game I believe. It's been around for..3-4 years now? Makes good money and it's not dead and doesn't look like it will be dying anytime soon. I think the micro-transaction is a good idea. I'll pay for items and things, but I wont play a monthly fee. There may come times where I'm not on for a month or 3. Why pay when I'm not on? While on a micro-transaction game, I can take vacations and not have to pay. Besides, with a popular series like Star Wars, plenty of money will be coming in from regardless.