Review: King's Bounty: The Legend

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Review: King's Bounty: The Legend

Ever had the urge to take a zombie for your wife? This is your RPG.

Read Full Article

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Great review Keane! I am really amazed that this game is for PC, I would expect it to be for a console or DS. I am going to try it out.

Also, the patches fix a lot of the problems with the game which adds a lot more to it.

abolibibelot

Dec 10, 2008
Hi there. I've played this gem and I love it, and it's as weird and twisted as you imply. There's the whole wife situation. Like you said, you're encouraged to take a zombie as your wife, but you're also meant to dump this exquisite creature to get another wife later, and another, and another (you can be married four times total). This compulsive marrying trait is one thing, but where it gets weirder is that your wife gives you 4 equipping inventory slots. A very rare resource indeed. And each kid you have with your wife uses the space of one slot. Sure, you get random bonuses for each of your children, but they are sometimes puny. So you're having babies, you see your extra slots being taken over by ugly brats and you start wondering if you'd not be better off without these slot-grabbers. But as it appears, you can not desequip your children. So this extra slot is lost. The only way to get your free slots back is to dump the whole bunch, wife and kiddies. And you start thinking about your next wife, the one with four free inventory slots (ok, this last sentence sounds creepy). So you dump your wife and n kids just to get the inventory slots back.

Thinking about it, it's one of the deepest moral challenge I've ever seen. It beats down Bioshock or Fable easily on this one. Great unsettling stuff.

darkbrood

Dec 11, 2008
I love this game, the ultimate casual time sink. I spent countless hours on it so far already and am still very much into it.

Regarding the zombie wife and the spider that gets in the way, go to the port, buy a boat and sail a bit west to a beach that leads to the hideout where your undead beau awaits you. No need to deal with the eight-legged beasty until later.

The review doesn't mention another classic feature of this game, items with gremlins in them that you eventually have to fight in order to keep the item happy (yes, happy) or to upgrade it.

If turn based exploration style RPGs are your thing then you will love this one.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
The thing I love most about King's Bounty is the hilarious dialogue. In conversations, you get to choose your answers and ask questions, and either accept or decline a quest, but whatever answer you choose, your response makes you sound like complete douchebag. In most other RPGs, your character quickly falls into a tired heroic stereotype, but in King's Bounty, you play an arrogant and narcissistic prick who's more interested in the honor and glory that heroism entails rather than the actual saving of the world.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
darkbrood said:
I love this game, the ultimate casual time sink. I spent countless hours on it so far already and am still very much into it.

Regarding the zombie wife and the spider that gets in the way, go to the port, buy a boat and sail a bit west to a beach that leads to the hideout where your undead beau awaits you. No need to deal with the eight-legged beasty until later.
Doh!

This game continues to make me feel stupid after I stop playing it.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
I think you've forgot to mention the game's JRPG-sque summons which can help you wither down enemy numbers at the price of your Rage meter. There are four creatures, four summoning spells each.

Phase 1: Obtain The Box of Rage (or whatever they call it in the English version, a literal translation sounds stupid) from a primary quest
Phase 2: Converse with the spirits in the box and try to talk your way into their recruitment quests
Phase 3: ???
Phase 4: Level up and upgrade summoning spells!

Oh, and the the creatures themselves: an anti-mage supergolem, an ancient lizard demi-noble, a grim ripper look-alike from beyond time and what seems to be a hi-tech alien ice queen.

LaxLuster

Dec 11, 2008
This game sounds like a lot of fun! I've never even heard of it before, but I used to love the old Heroes games. It's nice to see that they've put a lot of odd twists and actual story to it.

I'm sure the Heroes games had a story, but did anybody really pay attention to it?