November NPD Sales: Nintendo Triumphant

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
November NPD Sales: Nintendo Triumphant

Nintendo Wii manages to sell a mind-blowing 2 million units in the month of November while Microsoft stands firm and Sony tanks.

According to print media, cable news networks and the US government, we're not only in the middle of a global, November [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/recession]. I think we now know where all our money is going.

Yes, in the biggest month for US consumer activity it was Nintendo coming out on top of the retail charts, not at all contradicting the last 24 months. Not only did Nintendo Wii see sales of 2.04 million units (trumping Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan's prediction [http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/wii-sold-14-million-units-in-november-says-pachter/?biz=1] of 1.4 million), but the handheld Nintendo DS was no slouch either with 1.57 million units sold. These numbers while impressive also serve the purpose of proving Nintendo's philosophy on titles selling strong over time as opposed to only the first month or so. Lacking any true AAA holiday games, Nintendo dominated the market with aging titles such as Wii Play (796k units) and Wii Fit (697k units), continuing their strong performances and placing second and third respectively in overall software sales.

As with everything in this universe of ours, there can not be great victories without great failures and Sony's November performance is proof enough. In a a month where total industry sales are up 22% year-to-date, Sony failed to sell more consoles on any of its three platforms when compared to November 2007. Starting with the PlayStation 3, Sony managed to sell 378k units in the month of November 2008, while in the same month one year ago, it sold 466k for a difference of 88k. The story continues with the PlayStation 2 (496k in 2007 versus 206k in 2008) and the PlayStation Portable (567k in 2007 versus 421k in 2008), which is even more disappointing when you consider the overall strong holiday line-up across all three Sony systems.

These numbers weren't entirely out of the bounds of expectation as Sony is still struggling with its overall pricing scheme. It also wasn't a particularly bright idea to offer a new, $499 PlayStation 3 bundle [http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Systems/uncharted.html?ILC-hpsl&FTTR=160gbbunlde_160gbdetailpage] in the middle of a global recession when your main competition decided to slash its prices.

As for Microsoft it was business as usual, sporting strong but not particularly outstanding sales for its Xbox 360 platform, coming in at 836k units, effectively doubling PlayStation 3 sales for the fourth month in a row. Speaking of multiplied sales, Microsoft's holiday flagship, Gears of War 2, topped software sales with 1.56 million copies sold, which is four times as many as Sony's top holiday shooter Resistance 2, which sold only 385k.

Overall it was a fantastic month for a retail industry that absolutely refuses to waver in the face of such harsh economic times with sales totaling $2.91 billion for November, a nearly 10% increase compared to last year.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I think the most telling thing from those sales for Sony is that 200 thousand PS2s still sold. That means of this months living room console sales, 35% are still their last generation modal.

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Once more the Wii proves the Wiibashers wrong. They are so fond of predicting the Wii's demise, any day now!

But the Wii continues to outperform the other systems overwhelmingly. The Wii isn't leaving any time soon. So stop bitching and actually play a Wii game before you decide to criticize the Wii further.

goncalobms

Nov 15, 2008
Limos said:
Once more the Wii proves the Wiibashers wrong. They are so fond of predicting the Wii's demise, any day now!

But the Wii continues to outperform the other systems overwhelmingly. The Wii isn't leaving any time soon. So stop bitching and actually play a Wii game before you decide to criticize the Wii further.
Well the Wii just isn't for everybody ... This article however shows that Sony keeps marketing themselves wrong with the PS3 ... they had it so good with the PS2 that it feels like their marketing department was replaced by chimps ... none of this regarding weather or not the console is any good (I personally think it is but I rather invest my money on a 360, PS3 for when my budget is better).

About the 360 numbers, I think we need to take them with a bug spoon of salt. The numbers are somewhat inflated by people buying a second 360 because the first one died.

Still nice to see that the industry manages to pull through :D

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
2 millions Wiis in a month is incredible. I still find it amazing that the PS2 is still selling so well. Sony definitely needs to do some better marketing for the PS3 if they are selling 378,000 PS3's and 200,000 PS2's.