Brütal Legend Gets A Publisher

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Brütal Legend Gets A Publisher

Irreverent periwinkle! Irreverent periwinkle! Electronic Arts [http://www.brutallegendgame.com/]!

EA and Jack Black [http://www.doublefine.com/] as Eddie Riggs, a roadie who's drawn back in time (and possibly space and/or dimensions) to a mythical Heavy Metal world, where he turns from head-bangin' to head-bustin', creating an army of hellacious metalheads to bring freedom to an oppressed people.

"This is awesome news!" said Schafer, whose Christmas has now been totally saved. "The quality and creativity of the games EA Partners has been involved with make it a perfect home for our baby, Brütal Legend. Some people were starting to wonder if the saga of Eddie Riggs would ever see the light of day, but now I think it's clear that this game, like Metal itself, cannot be killed!"

"Brütal Legend is shaping up to be a creative tour de force," added David DeMartini of EA Partners. "Tim Schafer is known for some of the richest stories and characters in our industry, and with Jack Black offering his vocal styling's for Eddie Riggs, we are extremely excited to help Tim and his talented team at Double Fine see their vision come to fruition."

Schafer and Black will unveil the first Brütal Legend gameplay trailer ever seen at this year's PlayStation 3 [http://www.spike.com/event/vga/].

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Good thing it isn't a PC game, because going to EA in that case would've meant I'd never buy it.

Shellsh0cker

Defender of the English Language
Oct 22, 2008
Hopefully EA will realize that Tim Schafer is a genius (by those quotes, it would seem that they already have) and release this as a high-profile game, turning "Double Fine" into a name as big as "Bungie" (OK, granted, that will probably be hard to do) so that we might be showered with awesome, hilarious games.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Excellent. We can now breath a sigh of relief...

I've always found it funny how metal bands like to use dotted letters like the german y (ü), ä and ö. One classic example is the band Troja who changed their o to an ö and used it on their promotion stuff (among other things t-shirts). The problem here is that tröja means (in swedish) sweater, which isn't exactly the most metal thing ever. But at least you can buy a sweater that says sweater on it, in case you forget what you're wearing :)

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Brütal.

Notice he says "EA Partners" - he's presumably referring to id software, Maxis, Crytek, even Valve - Valve is published offline by EA. This is a good thing.

From Wikipedia: "In early 2008, current CEO John Riccitiello stated that [the purchase and control of studios] by EA was wrong and that the company now gives acquired studios greater autonomy without "meddling" in their corporate culture."

s-l-u-g

Sep 5, 2008
Dectilon said:
Excellent. We can now breath a sigh of relief...

I've always found it funny how metal bands like to use dotted letters like the german y (ü), ä and ö. One classic example is the band Troja who changed their o to an ö and used it on their promotion stuff (among other things t-shirts). The problem here is that tröja means (in swedish) sweater, which isn't exactly the most metal thing ever. But at least you can buy a sweater that says sweater on it, in case you forget what you're wearing :)
ahahaha! oh man.. that's good.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Damn. Now I can't buy this game for any platform until EA changes its current stance on DRM. I'd rather have almost anybody else publishing it.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I'm pretty freaking excited about this. Finally some good news. Now all I have to do is wait until next fall. :(

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
This is great news for gamers, but if I were one of their investors, losing confidence at EA management and their near seven-year low stock price, I'd be calling for Riccitiello and DeMartini's head right about now.

When you're cutting jobs left and right, lowering profit expectations far into the future and dropping games as far out as 2010, the absolute last thing you want to do is publish a high-budget videogame by Tim Schafer.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
First I was happy, then I became skeptical.

This is strange and confusing behavior from EA. However seeing as how it's Schafer I'll have to give it a look, if not to at least show to the industry that yes, we want something new and exciting (this time, honest!)

TheEggplant

Excess Ain't Rebellion
Jul 26, 2008
[cue the Darth Vader voice modulator]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!