Russian Business Man Trademarks Smileys : Updated

Feb 13, 2008
Russian Business Man Trademarks Smileys : Updated

Oleg Teterin has decided to trademark his emoticon. ";-)" and it's been passed by the Russian Federal Agency.

This means that if you use that smiley, you are in breach of Russian copyright laws. And using the 'Look and Feel' corollary, that also extends to ":)", ":->" and most variations.

However, good old Oleg has been magnanimous to only pursue it when used by big companies. Humble comrades such as yourselves will be able to use it freely, unless of course it's in work related mails, in which case it will be off to the salt mines with you.

Companies may be permitted to use it after paying an annual fee, but Oleg says "I want to highlight that this is only directed at corporations, companies that are trying to make a profit without the permission of the trademark holder."

Which, given the status of poor Alexey Pajitnov, who has still never received a cent from his little block game [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris], might be the Russians kickback at the idea of trademarks.

Not all Russians feel the same way though. The President of Russian social networking site odnoklassniki.ru, Nikita Sherman said: "You're not likely to find any retards in Russia who'll pay [him] for the use of emoticons".

This isn't the first time this has happened. In 2005, a St. Petersburg court upheld an appeal from the German corporation Siemens, which was sued by a Russian man claiming he held the trademark to ":)".

Update News Moves Fast : Russia Today [http://www.russiatoday.com/features/news/34577] has already come out and said that "The smiley graphic symbol is incapable of individualising the products and can't fulfill the function of a trademark, therefore it can't be registered as one."

But the quote from Nikita Sherman still stands.

Nikita89

May 24, 2008
Right. What does one do in the middle of a financial crisis to get some money? Trademark emoticons -.-!
But I guess the world has more important things to worry about than him...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
This isn't the first time this has happened. In 2005, a St. Petersburg court upheld an appeal from the German corporation Siemens, which was sued by a Russian man claiming he held the trademark to ":)".
Nice to know there are still some sane people in the world of corporate law.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
So does that mean the staff is no longer allowed to use emoticons here?

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
This makes me happy in a way. :) Hooray international copyright/trademark crimes!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Nikita Sherman said: "You're not likely to find any retards in Russia who'll pay [him] for the use of emoticons".
I really hope that is a direct quote.
Because it's hilarious.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Is this guy like the real life Pavel Chekov?

"Emoticons vere a Russian Inwention before the Capitalists stole it" :)

Rochnan

Dec 2, 2008
This article definately put a smil(ey) on my face.
And gave me some great ideas...is the image and likeness of the earth already trademarked?

Jul 9, 2008
Nikita Sherman said: "You're not likely to find any retards in Russia who'll pay [him] for the use of emoticons".
fluffylandmine said:
In Soviet Russia, smiley face copyrights you!
Rochnan said:
This article definately put a smil(ey) on my face.
And gave me some great ideas...is the image and likeness of the earth already trademarked?
ckeymel said:
I am sooo trademarking the Loch Ness Monster... (TM)
These all made me Lol.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
'Bout friggen time. Maybe they'll start disappearing from where they don't belong then.
Eg Everywhere.

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
Baby Tea said:
I really hope that is a direct quote.
Because it's hilarious.
Every time I read it I laughed.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
It starts with: Russian Business Man Trademarks Smileys

Then it moves to: English Man Trademarks "lol" and "LMAO"

The end result: Real English on the Internet

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Well, the good thing is that a US company still holds the trademark on frownies [http://www.despair.com/frownonthis.html], and is still selling them for free.