Terrorism Victim Gets Cybernetic Arm

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Terrorism Victim Gets Cybernetic Arm

A victim of the 7/7 bombing has been given a new lease on life with a battery-operated prosthetic arm that fuses metal and flesh.

Cyborgs have long been a staple of the sci-fi genre, but Kira Mason, who lost an arm in the London terror attacks, has become a real-life Bionic Woman with a pioneering prosthetic limb.

The procedure, called intraosseous transcutaneous amputation prosthesis, or ITAP, encourages the patient's tissue to fuse with a titanium rod fitted into the bone and does away with the need for the cumbersome straps and sockets normally associated with prosthesis, as well as avoiding the infection and pressure sores that have occurred with previous attempts to fuse metal and bone.

The prosthetic itself is operated by flexing muscles in the upper arm and allows Mrs. Mason to grip objects with a surprising degree of precision.

"It's taken a bit of getting used to but now I can control my arm much better as well - I can hold both a knife and fork to eat and even do delicate tasks such as holding a squidgy cake or opening a packet of butter without squashing it," she said.

Norbert Kang, the plastic surgeon who carried out the procedure is hopeful that this technique will benefit many more people in the future, saying, "We've been able to prove that we can get osteocutaneous integration - that's to say the soft tissue fuses with the surface of the metal... We can create a new generation of reconstruction."

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7773012.stm] and Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1092793/Survivor-7-7-bombings-fitted-clip-arm-fuse-skin.html] via Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5108928/bomb-victim-fitted-with-cyborg-arm-that-fuses-with-her-own-skin-and-bone]

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
And thus it begins. May the developments only accelerate from here; my sympathy for the woman who lost her arm, and my gratitude for her accepting this next technological step forward for the whole of humanity.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
And thus it begins. May the developments only accelerate from here; my sympathy for the woman who lost her arm, and my gratitude for her accepting this next technological step forward for the whole of humanity.
"Sometimes something must be lost in order for the light to be found"

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
as well as avoiding the infection and pressure sores that have occurred with previous attempts to fuse metal and bone.
Fantastic. That -- as far as I see it -- was the biggest obstacle that needed to be overcome.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Now if they can wire the nerves into wires, giving her brain control, we just need the Megacorporations to take over and we're all set

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
One step closer to Shadowrun. I'm just waiting for the moment when someone says "Yes sir, we *can* make Wolverine."

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
Getting closer to ghost in the shell... I can feel it, now we just need brain-computer interfaces to go mainstream and less creepy and bingo!

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Ah, I thought you meant like Will Smiths in iRobot. Still pretty cool though, I want two Cybernetic Arms, just below my real ones.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Getting closer to ghost in the shell... I can feel it, now we just need brain-computer interfaces to go mainstream and less creepy and bingo!
oh, I sure want a cyber brain and the camouflage system that comes bundled with it. =D

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
cainx10a said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:
oh, I sure want a cyber brain and the camouflage system that comes bundled with it. =D
Hell Yeah! I wish I lived in that universe. So awesome.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
For some reason, the first thing that popped into my head was auto-mail from Full Metal Alchemist. Hopefully, the procedure won;t be as painful as auto-mail, though.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
KaZZaP said:
I'm stuck wondering what a "squidgy cake" is...
That's what I was wondering. Anyway, wasn't there a story about an war Veteran from Iraq who got one of these? It was several months ago. Either way, this is awesome.