Why Disney Should Buy EA

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Why Disney Should Buy EA

One popular investing site supports the Electronic Arts/Disney merger concept, adding to the ongoing analyst debate on the deal.

In response to a questions about whether Disney would continue to partner with game developers or increase its own in-house development by purchasing the downtrodden Electronic Arts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88065-EA-Stock-Drops-25-Percent-In-Two-Days], Chief Financial Officer Tom Staggs responded, "I don't want you to conclude that those are in the long term mutually exclusive," adding that "strategic and attractive" gaming acquisitions, like last year's Club Penguin purchase [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/75566], aren't out of the question.

The Motley Fool [http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2008/12/11/5-reasons-why-disney-should-buy-ea.aspx] reported its own reasons why a Disney/EA team would be a great business move.

Being no stranger to large acquisitions, writer Rick Aristotle Munarriz noted, "Disney has aimed even higher in the past in its Pixar and Capital Cities/ABC deals."

Disney, which owns the TV channel and sports brand ESPN, could use this monopoly in sports to easily pair with the dominant EA Sports products. "It's only fitting that EA's legendary line of sporting titles -- like Madden, Tiger Woods Golf, and FIFA -- huddle up with the parent company of ESPN. In fact, it would be branding magic to have all of the games marketed as ESPN sports," continued Munarriz.

Adding EA's developers with Disney's Imagineering department would increase product synergy and improve rides at theme parks. "Disney is incorporating gaming elements into its latest theme park attractions like Toy Story Mania," explained Munarriz. "The key is to give its rides a little more repeatability with jaded audiences. Disney also realizes that it can't carve out large tracts of land to build mammoth destinations that attract tens of millions of guests."

A merger deal has its doubters; competing stock blog BloggingStocks [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87387] reported a few weeks back its belief that this combining companies "would be one of the worst things that [Disney] CEO Bob Iger could do."

The Fool's hoped "convergence" might not be possible if BloggingStocks is to be believed. The site added, "Imagine if Disney had to deal with a larger, more complex pipeline, one that would obviously contain a lot of properties that could not be used in, say, the theme parks or by the movie studio. Personally, I think it would be a distraction to Disney."

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
But that would mean that Kingdom Hearts would be published by EA... no, just no.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Disney makes crappy movies and is a brutal corporate conglomorate, just like EA... It would be a monster difficult to take down

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Great, now I'm having mental images of Micky Mouse getting his limbs cut of in Dead Space.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Pseudonym2 said:
Great, now I'm having mental images of Micky Mouse getting his limbs cut of in Dead Space.
I'm suddenly having trouble seeing how this merger's a bad thing...

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
stompy said:
But that would mean that Kingdom Hearts would be published by EA... no, just no.
I... I just can't envision this. At all. In any way at all. If this DOES occur, hopefully Buena Vista would publish. Not EA. Just seeing the EA logo followed by Square Enix would cause my internal reality to fall apart.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
EA + Disney = oh noes

EA seems to be making worse and worse games (ill grant they do throw a few out from time to time) and Disneys movies seem to be getting worse too...

i guess its a match made in heaven...or hell...

i think ill choose not to think about this...

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
You know, it might actually be good for the employees of EA to continue having jobs, as long as none of the evil and incompetent management are taken over in the merger. Question is, what would they call themselves? DisnEA?

Theissen

Jan 8, 2008
I'm just going to copy this completely irrelevant but fitting picture I created for another thread a while back. And yes, I am a self-promoting whore. In a good way, because it's funny.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Soo, Disney should buy EA because they could have an ESPN License tacked on thier annual Sportgameupdates and an Army of Two "We're totally not gay, honest!" Thrillride in Disneyworld?

Well...how bout NO!?

EA is just on a roll to be once again one of the more likable faceless corporations, so we can't have Disney ruining that.

gunnnnkjkjkj

Oct 2, 2008
If EA and Disney merged it would be terrible :/ Then Disney would be going to force EA to make their shitty movie based games :( And i dont like either EA or Disney..... I cant see why it would turn out so good :/ If EA and Disney ever will be one i will kick my computer and throw it out of my window. Then i would sell all my stuff and give the money to VALVe.... :)

But let them do whatever they want :p

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
I... I just can't envision this. At all. In any way at all. If this DOES occur, hopefully Buena Vista would publish. Not EA. Just seeing the EA logo followed by Square Enix would cause my internal reality to fall apart.
If Disney buys EA... I hope to god that Kingdom Hearts doesn't go the way of Call of Duty and become a cash-cow.