PS3 Is "Dying On The Shelves"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PS3 Is "Dying On The Shelves"

Silicon Alley Insider has delivered a stinging rebuke to Sony's marketing strategy for the PlayStation 3 [http://www.playstation.com], calling the console a "sinking ship" as its sales continue to struggle.

PlayStation 3 sales are down about 19 percent compared to sales in November 2007, with 378,000 units sold last month versus 466,000 in the same period during the previous year. It's the only major console to experience such a slip, and according to an article on CNN Money [http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/12/sonys-ps3-a-sinking-ship-sales-plummet-sne]), the blame lies entirely with PS3 itself.

"The problem for Nintendo's Wii [http://www.sony.com] continues to dominate the market, more than doubling sales from 981,000 to 2.04 million."

Three reasons are cited for the PlayStation 3's slow-motion flame-out: Mainstream indifference toward the $199 [http://www.blu-ray.com/] for the entry-level Xbox 360 Arcade or $299 for the more comparable Xbox 360 Pro with a 60 GB hard drive.

Sony recently launched a promotion [http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=sr150nowps3] offering $150 rebate to people who applied and were approved for a Sony PlayStation Visa card, but the Insider predicts that without "deep" price cuts across the board, the future of the PlayStation 3 is dismal. "Tell yourself the PS3 has superior graphics if it makes you feel better," the report says, "but a $400 console with a mediocre game library simply cannot compete against an Xbox 360 priced at $200 in this economy."

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
You mean it's taken CNN two years to figure out that selling something at nearly double the price will attract fewer buyers? My God, they're geniuses.

Jak The Great

Jun 24, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
You mean it's taken CNN two years to figure out that selling something at nearly double the price will attract fewer buyers? My God, they're geniuses.
Epic... just ...epic

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
fix-the-spade said:
I am astounded at the level of their mental capability. I don't listen to them at all, because they think that DSs should have the chat feature removed for paedophiles. They just encourage scaring the mass majority.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
How long before a PS fanboy comes here with twisted sales figures saying PS3 is selling more than it is. I could tell this by working retail we still have the orriginal 40GB skus floating around. We probably sell 30 wiis a day if we have them, and this season about 7-8 360s and yeah I haven't sold a ps3 in a few days though my buddy got one of the 80 gb ones the other day.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
I chuckled when I read that CNN just figured this out.

EDIT: Meaning the whole thing w/ the price differences and economic issues; also the lack of games, but I will say that PS3 is a lot more attractive of a buy for me now than it was a year ago.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I agree that Sony is doing a lot wrong at the moment but I disagree that the gaming library is weak.

http://cad-forums.com/showpost.php?p=2845045&postcount=36

That's exclusives only. It's just not publicised enough.

Actually personally over a 3 year period (and I intend to have the console for a lot longer) the PS3 worked out as cheaper (and more reliable). I just think they've advertised everything in the wrong way.

Cloudizme

May 7, 2008
Uh huh.

I'll finish this topic when I'm done with my LBP addiction.

Signed, Wii/360/PS3 owner

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
That's pretty quick for CNN. Think about it...when was the last time they had legit "BREAKING NEWS!"?

That said, I'd have to agree 100%. No matter where I go, I see fully stocked supplies of PS3's, fewer 360's, and almost no Wii's.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
sneakypenguin said:
How long before a PS fanboy comes here with twisted sales figures saying PS3 is selling more than it is. I could tell this by working retail we still have the orriginal 40GB skus floating around. We probably sell 30 wiis a day if we have them, and this season about 7-8 360s and yeah I haven't sold a ps3 in a few days though my buddy got one of the 80 gb ones the other day.
But CNN don't count all the PS3s bought by people with time machines who buy them in the Future when they're cheap and sell them in the 1980s for $1000 a piece. If you factor those in then... Yeah they're still selling badly.

Joking aside I love my PS3, but in retrospect Sony brought them out at a bad time.

klc0100

Feb 29, 2008
mokes310 said:
fix-the-spade said:
That's pretty quick for CNN. Think about it...when was the last time they had legit "BREAKING NEWS!"?

That said, I'd have to agree 100%. No matter where I go, I see fully stocked supplies of PS3's, fewer 360's, and almost no Wii's.
9/11 from what I have read.

If there selling or not I still love my big black box in the corner :3

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
BrotherRool said:
I agree that Sony is doing a lot wrong at the moment but I disagree that the gaming library is weak.

http://cad-forums.com/showpost.php?p=2845045&postcount=36

That's exclusives only. It's just not publicised enough.

Actually personally over a 3 year period (and I intend to have the console for a lot longer) the PS3 worked out as cheaper (and more reliable). I just think they've advertised everything in the wrong way.
It's pretty debatable whether that list represents a strong library. The strength of the library, from Money's POV, is whether they sell well or not. And like they mention, only MGS4 was a blockbuster 1st party title launch.

You could argue that the PS3's current exclusive lineup sales are weak compared to Wii and 360. That seems to have less to do with title quality (which I think is what your post is referring to) than people purchasing the console.

On a related note, there's a super interesting analysis of hardware sales figures by NPD here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3882/npd_behind_the_numbers_november_.php

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i think that list of PS3 exclusives actually made it look much poorer, but that said i considered getting one...

mainly for LBP but also for MGS4 and Motorstorm...

then i saw the prices, heard it wasnt comin down for xmas and decided enough was enough... ill get one... but they need to be less bloody expensive...

on another note i still dont understand how wii is selling so well, i dont want one fo their games and they're game adds make me pee myself with laughter everytime i see them, and the price is no longer an excuse ive seen 360s cheaper tan wiis now...

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
Sony gets a bad rap for mishandling the PS3, but its not all doom and gloom for the playstation brand. Believe it or not, the PS3 cemented blu-ray as the winner of the hi-def format wars, a lucrative win for Sony. And for the consumer the PS3 offers great value. It's a high end blu-ray player with an equal(although honestly not better) games library of the 360 and free online. It's also highly reliable.

Sony is never going to sell more consoles with the price higher than its comepetition. Your average consumer doesn't value the hardware differences, and the software library is equal. Somebody should have told Sony a while ago that a better processor(CELL) doesn't equal better games or even better graphics.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
hubertw47 said:
sirdanrhodes said:
fix-the-spade said:
I am astounded at the level of their mental capability. I don't listen to them at all, because they think that DSs should have the chat feature removed for paedophiles. They just encourage scaring the mass majority.
That wasn't CNN that was actually Fox news , get your sources straight.
I'm English, I find it hard to remember EVERY, SINGLE, FREAKING news channel from America and England that do nothing but pump bad news and public fear into the world.

Also, this WAS about a year ago I think when I saw this, so gimmie a break.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
cannot compete against an Xbox 360 priced at $200 in this economy."

That's all he needed to say.

Also, God of War 3 trailer just came out, so I don't regret buying this thing.