Hideo Kojima: Metal Gear Solid Film Is "Brewing"

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Hideo Kojima: Metal Gear Solid Film Is "Brewing"

The Metal Gear [http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/] mastermind has revealed that progress on the MGS flick is moving along and that he'll be very involved with the project, while dropping hints about a possible game tie-in.

It's no secret that great games very rarely make great movies, but if there's any franchise that's ripe for the silver screen, it's Metal Gear Solid. Series creator Hideo Kojima's well-documented love of cinema resulted in the MGS titles being either wonderfully cinematic pieces of interactive storytelling or more cutscene than game, depending on who you asked. Either way, the action-and-intrigue filled storyline should make for a good summer blockbuster, and work seems to be coming along in making that a reality.

"It's brewing, brewing and very slowly moving," Kojima said in an interview with Collider [http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/10142/tcid/1]. With a common refrain among critics of MGS being that Kojima is more filmmaker than game designer, wouldn't it be natural to assume he'd be taking the reins on the movie? Maybe not, according to Kojima. "I won't have the direct seat, but I will plan to be very, very involved with the projects," he said.

Projects? Could there be multiple MGS films planned, or maybe some new games to tie-in with the film? Kojima remarked that doing a game tie-in would be a "challenge" but that he's "very interested" in the idea.

[Via Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/16/kojima-talks-up-metal-gear-solid-film]]

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Meh. I'm more looking ofrward to Philanthropy than this. Fans know what fans like.

Rochnan

Dec 2, 2008
Will this be a movie with playable cutscenes? (would do better on DVD, the n00bs in the cinemas will just get you killed)

Haha, anyway, even IMDB's list of the crew is too short to speculate on the quality of the film. But judging from the games? This should've been a big-budget series.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Kojima is being involved in the film...I'm not sure I like the sound of that, and I'm a huge fan of the series.
I heard he already rejected a screenplay that Hayter wrote, because it wasn't true to his vision, or something. So I'm going to remain cynical on this one, because much as I love the games and their cinematic heavy content, I can't see it working as a full film.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
We all know how games being made into movies goes, its awful.

But i'm not sure about MGS. I mean the games are very similar to a movie anyway.
Hopefully it'll work out well. Either way i'll go and see it when its released anyway.

Ridley200

Jun 9, 2008
"Projects? Could there be multiple MGS films planned, or maybe some new games to tie-in with the film?"

Of course there's going to be multiple films! they'd need at least thirty episodes just to cover one game of the Solid series

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i think it would make a good transition to film probly better than a lot of the games do. especially if Kojima has tight control over it

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Ridley200 said:
"Projects? Could there be multiple MGS films planned, or maybe some new games to tie-in with the film?"

Of course there's going to be multiple films! they'd need at least thirty episodes just to cover one game of the Solid series
They should just release copy of Metal Gear Solid, but without the little game play there was. It would be perfect.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Ridley200 said:

And I will watch every. single. one. regardless of how horrible they are.....

AND!, David Hayter must be the voice of Solid Snake, or better yet be Snake himself.

Seriously;

Just slap some makeup on him and *KABOOM!@#%!$%* you've got yourself the perfect Solid Snake.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Honestly I really don't think this would work as a movie. Metal Gear Solid Checklist:

Espianogue Action: This works

Nuclear Threat: This works

Conspiracy theories, Govt Coverups: This works

Giant Robots armed with nukes: Whaaaaaa?

Yeaaah, the Titular METAL GEAR doesn't really...work as a plot device. Sure they could remove the giant robots or the undead ninja's, but it wouldn't be metal gear without it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Honestly I really don't think this would work as a movie. Metal Gear Solid Checklist:

Yeaaah, the Titular METAL GEAR doesn't really...work as a plot device. Sure they could remove the giant robots or the undead ninja's, but it wouldn't be metal gear without it.
How would giant bad-ass robots armed with nukes not work with the MGS universe?

Afterall, the whole point of the mission(s) were to stop the TERRERRISSSTS from activating and using Metal Gear...right?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Jumplion said:
TsunamiWombat said:

How would giant bad-ass robots armed with nukes not work with the MGS universe?

Afterall, the whole point of the mission(s) were to stop the TERRERRISSSTS from activating and using Metal Gear...right?
I don't mean it doesn't work with the MGS plot- hell, it IS the plot. I mean it doesn't translate to film well. No one would take that seriously.

Maybe if Metal Gear was something other then a bidepel giant robot, like some sort of amphibious assault carrier. Like a Land/Sea fortress.