Street Fighter II HD Sales Are Downright Fierce

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Street Fighter II HD Sales Are Downright Fierce

The HD overhaul [http://games.capcomdigital.com/streetfighteriihdr/] of the iconic Street Fighter II is well on its way to becoming the highest grossing digital game ever, according to Capcom.

Since its release last month on Xbox Live and PlayStation network, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix has been downloaded 250,000 times. "HD Remix has shattered both one day and week one sales records and will most likely break 30 day sales records as well," Capcom's John Diamonon wrote [http://www.capcom-unity.com/johndmoney/blog/2008/12/18/super_street_fighter_ii_turbo_hd_remix_achieves_record_breaking_sales] on his blog. "It's on its way to becoming the highest grossing digital title ever."

The success of HD Remix caps off a string of success stories for downloadable revivals of Capcom's classic franchises. Bionic Commando Rearmed raked in the digital dollars as well, selling dent [http://www.bioniccommando.com/us/blog_entries/view/354] upon release.

Diamonon went on to thank the multiple teams involved in the creation of the game. "It would be idiotic and quite frankly, irresponsible to attribute the success of this game to just one person," he wrote. "That's like saying Boxer has better kicks than Chun-Li, it just ain't true...HD Remix was a labor of love for everyone involved."

It's nice to see labors of love rewarded, especially when they're in the tubes for as long as HD Remix was, and even moreso when they almost get canceled because their art wasn't good enough. So whether it's nostalgia for the halcyon days of arcade gaming, brewing anticipation for Street Fighter IV or something else, there seems to be little doubt that the Street Fighter franchise still has plenty of appeal for gamers.

As Capcom sees it, credit for that goes to the hardcore community [http://forums.shoryuken.com/], who still hold tournaments and argue tactics after a decade-and-a-half of playing the same damn game, and who are probably ceaselessly dissecting the intricacies of this newest version at this very moment. "I want to give a big shout out to the hardcore Street Fighter communty...who kept this game relevant for the past 15 years and spread the word to the entire gaming industry that Street Fighter is still the best around!" Diamonon said.

(Down, right, Fierce - like a Hadoken, get it? Heh.)

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
It made #1 on my top five [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88153-The-Escapist-News-Five-Faves-of-2008-Jared] list for a very good reason. Capcom and Backbone took the single greatest fighting game of all time, one that has been played competitively for 15 years now, and somehow made it better. They deserve the success.

Now all they have to do is release it in Japan so we can find out whether or not this thing is going to catch on to the point where'll be seeing it at SBO or not. It'll be weird if we're playing HD Remix at EVO this year while we go over there for SBO and they're still playing Super Turbo classic.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Capcom deserves the recognition for it's recent digital releases. Mega Man 9, Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Street Fighter II HD are the top examples of how companies should take a look at their classic franchises.

majorcat

Feb 15, 2008
"That's like saying Boxer has better kicks than Chun-Li, it just ain't true...HD Remix was a labor of love for everyone involved."

Have I been out of SF2 long enough for a new character named 'Boxer', or does this rep, who's probably never played much of the game mean Balrog?

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
majorcat said:
"That's like saying Boxer has better kicks than Chun-Li, it just ain't true...HD Remix was a labor of love for everyone involved."

Have I been out of SF2 long enough for a new character named 'Boxer', or does this rep, who's probably never played much of the game mean Balrog?
When speaking generally, it's easier to refer to the four bosses as Boxer, Claw, Scar and Dictator, as to get around the international naming conventions. Since you don't seem aware..

US / Japan
Balrog - M.Bison
Vega - Balrog
Sagat - Sagat
M. Bison - Vega

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
majorcat said:

It's still Balrog...he must've meant Balrog. But I wanted to leave it there as that's what he said.

e: Jared swoops in with the answer.

In other news, I accept all challenges from readers who think they can defeat me in online Street Fighting. Click through to my profile for my XBL dongle and let's rumble, fools.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jared Rea said:
It made #1 on my top five [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88153-The-Escapist-News-Five-Faves-of-2008-Jared] list for a very good reason. Capcom and Backbone took the single greatest fighting game of all time, one that has been played competitively for 15 years now, and somehow made it better. They deserve the success.

Now all they have to do is release it in Japan so we can find out whether or not this thing is going to catch on to the point where'll be seeing it at SBO or not. It'll be weird if we're playing HD Remix at EVO this year while we go over there for SBO and they're still playing Super Turbo classic.
It's no Third Strike or XX #R, but Super Turbo's one of the best of all time no doubt :D

Feb 13, 2008
Keane Ng said:
In other news, I accept all challenges from readers who think they can defeat me in online Street Fighting. Click through to my profile for my XBL dongle and let's rumble, fools.
I'm almost prepared to get an X-Box to Hundred Foot Kick you into oblivion. Ya-Taa!

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
It's no Third Strike or XX #R, but Super Turbo's one of the best of all time no doubt :D
Third Strike is a brilliant, but completely unbalanced sloppy mess of a game that I love to death, but even when I was taking it extremely seriously, I knew ST was better.

Guilty Gear? It's really hard to take any ARC fighter seriously. #Reload also had that awesome Slayer loop, amongst other huge balance issues. Even when you think they have everything sorted out, as was the case with Accent Core, they still managed screw it up by slowing down an already slow game :(

ARC makes great games, but they can never close the deal for competitive players. Unfortunately, BlazBlue is no different.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Keane Ng said:
I'm almost prepared to get an X-Box to Hundred Foot Kick you into oblivion. Ya-Taa!
Bring it on, son!!

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"It would be idiotic and quite frankly, irresponsible to attribute the success of this game to just one person," he wrote. "That's like saying Boxer has better kicks than Chun-Li, it just ain't true...
That's a terrible analogy ~~

I'm buying this as soon as I can get my PS3 to make friends with my router :)

Personally I think Guilty Gear XX is great fun, but it's possibly the most unintuitive fighter ever :) I constantly do perfect guard and roman cancel by mistake ~~

BlazBlue seems to be... well... Guilty Gear, with less interesting character design and (whoopie...) 3d-backgrounds. And Guilty Gear 2 looks like a stinker too :p

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I'm just happy that OCremix (http://www.ocremix.org/ ) got the recognition it deserved by being brought in to do the music remixes. They deserve it. Their remixes are awesome... unless there not, which doesn't happen often.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jared Rea said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Third Strike is a brilliant, but completely unbalanced sloppy mess of a game that I love to death, but even when I was taking it extremely seriously, I knew ST was better.

Guilty Gear? It's really hard to take any ARC fighter seriously. #Reload also had that awesome Slayer loop, amongst other huge balance issues. Even when you think they have everything sorted out, as was the case with Accent Core, they still managed screw it up by slowing down an already slow game :(

ARC makes great games, but they can never close the deal for competitive players. Unfortunately, BlazBlue is no different.
Really? I mean, granted, I haven't been part of the #R tournament scene for four or so years now, but when I played I saw a *much* greater variety of characters winning tournaments from Slayer and Sol to Anji, Johnny and Zappa. GG's universal defense systems (Fortress Defense, Burst) really helped balance the game out in my mind.

I feel much more at home with XX or #R than Super Turbo (or Third Strike for that matter).

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Melty Blood is were it's at! If they would only redraw the character models... They aren't nearly on GG's level at the moment.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
When did 250.000 games become a record? Did Blizzard's 2.800.000 copies of Wotlk just dissapear into thin air?

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Asehujiko said:
When did 250.000 games become a record? Did Blizzard's 2.800.000 copies of Wotlk just dissapear into thin air?
Were all 2.8 million of those copies sold purely by digital distribution?

No?

Shut up then.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
GloatingSwine said:
Were all 2.8 million of those copies sold purely by digital distribution?

No?

Shut up then.
Been having a bad day?

There is something special about Street Fighter 2. The game just "feels" right. I hardly ever play any of the other old beat-em-up classics like Mortal Kombat or Virtua Fighter, but every once I a while I find myself fireing up my NES emulator and play a few rounds of SF2.