The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2008: Russ

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2008: Russ

Russ Pitts finishes off our week of Staff Faves with the five games he most enjoyed this past year. "Messing with minions' minds" came in sixth.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Dead Space has the remarkable ability to instantly captivate all watchers. When I first picked the game up I soon found that my whole household (plus one) had gathered to watch me play. Even my girlfriend who hates horror found Dead Space enthralling. It's just an oddity.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
sv93 said:
These would be my choices exactly! Russ my man, you have good taste! Surprised to not see LBP in some ones top 5.
Wait, I'm confused: do you mean you're surprised Russ didn't mention it, or you're surprised that no-one did?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Personally I'm suprised he had Mercenaries 2 on there, but to each their own, everyone has that Critically Panned game that they love. Just look at all the threads on the subject.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Did you just have the cojones to say on a gaming website that the best game of the year was a facebook app ?!?! Russ, you're my hero...

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
KarmicToast said:
Did you just have the cojones to say on a gaming website that the best game of the year was a facebook app ?!?! Russ, you're my hero...
Cheers.

But seriously, there isn't a single other game I've played every day since I discovered it. As far as I'm concerned, a game is a game is a game, be it a Facebook app, a AAA Xbox title or a tabletop card-based story-telling game. Or tossing a ball to my dog, but I probably wouldn't list that one on the site. You have to draw a line somewhere.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
KarmicToast said:
Cheers.

But seriously, there isn't a single other game I've played every day since I discovered it. As far as I'm concerned, a game is a game is a game, be it a Facebook app, a AAA Xbox title or a tabletop card-based story-telling game. Or tossing a ball to my dog, but I probably wouldn't list that one on the site. You have to draw a line somewhere.
What is this Card Based Table Top Storytelling Game you allude to? I must know!

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
PedroSteckecilo said:
Russ Pitts said:
KarmicToast said:
Cheers.

It's called Gloom [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/1248-Gloom-Circular-Storytelling-Death-and-Dismemberment], and it's awesome.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Russ Pitts said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Russ Pitts said:
KarmicToast said:
Cheers.

It's called Gloom [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/1248-Gloom-Circular-Storytelling-Death-and-Dismemberment], and it's awesome.
We need to have another company Gloom session soon.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Russ Pitts said:
KarmicToast said:
Cheers.

I believe you... it sounds awesome. Now I just need to find it.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Russ hits on something that is crucial for RPGs - we need more unconventional settings. We've all been to the World of Ultima Middle-Earth Craft about a million times. The RPG dynamic (leveling, facing greater challenges, customizing a character to focus on the aspects of gameplay we enjoy most) is deeply, deeply satisfying. Limiting ourselves to variations on a single setting is just sad and, in the long run, self-defeating.

I've been beating up on Fallout all week (because I'm a jerk and that's what I do) but I have to hand it to Bethesda for taking the RPG bus someplace NEW this year. That it turned out to be pretty fun is a nice bonus.

Riicek

Oct 24, 2008
Your blurb on Fallout 3 made me giggle. Kudos, and good game selection. Still haven't had any desire to play GTAIV, and I gave up on facebook when I realized I don't really want to know what my friends have been up to all the time, but the other three are definitely going to remain in my memory for a while. (Except for Fallout 3....a while doesn't cut it, I'll never forget that game.)

milomalo

Mar 29, 2008
i like better ... pet society in the facebook :$....

Dont kill me

and yes good list Russ the only one i havent play is mercenaries 2, and what about, gears2, and metal gear solid4?

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
You said:
I have heard complaints form some folks though that guns turn them off and that any real RPG should take place in a fantasy setting, not the brutally realistic future Earth of Fallout.
Any man who say this is wrong. And you should hit that man. With a stick.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
harhol said:
Dead Space is an awful, awful game.

The rest of the list is OK but I get the feeling The Escapist staff are competing with one another for the "Look! I'm unconventional!" award.
Indeed, how dare they deviate from mainstream opinion!

Part of the appeal of the Escapist is that we approach gaming from unconventional angles. Is it so surprising that the staff's top five lists reflect that?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Yeah you kind of have to be unconventional to work here. It just goes with the territory. I don't get the reason why this is a bad thing, but ... OK. I will commence feeling bad about this because you say so harhol.

I tell you what I'm upset about though, it's that glaring typo in the section Copter400 quoted. Unconvetional is one thing. Unconventional and shitty at typing is a wholly other thing. Arrgh.