New Studio Forms To Make Crackdown 2?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
New Studio Forms To Make Crackdown 2?

Key members of Crackdown [http://crackdownoncrime.com/] developer Realtime Worlds have founded a new studio and are being funded by Microsoft specifically to develop Crackdown 2, according to reports.

A significant number of staff members resigned from Realtime Worlds a couple weeks ago to form a new company, Ruffian Studios. According to videogaming247 [http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/12/19/source-microsoft-is-funding-crackdown-2-development-and-ruffian-start-up/], who have it supposedly "on good authority," Ruffian is being funded by Microsoft specifically for the purpose of developing a sequel to Crackdown. Contacted for confirmation, a Realtime Worlds spokesperson declined to comment, claiming it would be "against the data protection act."

Sounds like hearsay, but there's some genuine meat to the rumor. Ruffian initially came to light via a podcast [http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruffiangames/sets/72157608082087383/]. "That's all I'm going to say, so you don't have to confirm or deny anything. I'm just saying we want it."

With Realtime Worlds busy developing APB, a cops-and-robbers MMOG set in a city, the founding of Ruffian to develop Crackdown 2 seems like the best solution for everyone. For Microsoft it means more Crackdown which means more money, naturally. For Realtime Worlds it means that resources won't have to be split between two major titles. Most importantly, for fans, it means that the series stays in the hands of the people who made it great.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Proof positive that there is indeed a God afterall despite the threads here claiming otherwise.

On a serious note, (yes, no need for all your flames) I couldn't be more ecstatic!!

Crackdown was one of the most original and under-appreciated games for the 360 and it clearly has a cult following. I'm very excited for this development...while eyeing APB very suspiciously

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
Good. Pileups, explosions, Agency vehicles, the Firefly, jumping about and causing havoc were all great fun in Crackdown and I can't wait for more.

I hope we get the Harpoon Gun by default though.

Alone Disciple said:
Proof positive that there is indeed a God afterall despite the threads here claiming otherwise.

On a serious note, (yes, no need for all your flames) I couldn't be more ecstatic!!

Crackdown was one of the most original and under-appreciated games for the 360 and it clearly has a cult following. I'm very excited for this development...while eyeing APB very suspiciously
The problem was that the majority of people just bought it for the Halo 3 beta, and didn't give the game itself a chance. Shame really, it had so such to offer.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
Crackdown! A sequel!

You sir, have made me more giddy than a rabid preppy school girl that just saw twilight.

I hope you're proud of yourself.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
I just hope this doesn't affect APB. As I have not played Crackdown, I kinda care more about that.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Crackdown was fun. But I for one hope Crackdown 2 has the foresight to include zombies.

It's been years since I played my zombie mod for GTA III. I'm jonesin', man.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I wondered, when Major Nelson's "blogcast" had all that Crackdown music in it, whether that was a hint or a sly dig. I'm still wondering, but now with hope.

Crackdown rocked, and I'd love a sequel.

-- Steve

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
This is quite probably the best thing I've read off of The Escapist in a long, long time.

I think I speak for all who read this when I say: HUZZAH!