Warm Up With the Xbox 360 Fireplace

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Warm Up With the Xbox 360 Fireplace

Missing that cozy holiday ambiance in your drafty apartment? Drop 400 Microsoft Points, download this virtual fireplace [http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/00000001-0000-4000-8000-00005855014c?cid=MajorNelson&partner=MajorNelson]and snuggle up with your loved ones in front of the HDTV.

Boasting "realistic smoldering embers and flickering flames", the virtual fireplace, developed by XNA user SniperED007 [http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=SniperED007], even has the soothing crackle-and-pop of a fireplace, all without the hassle of actually having to light a fire or owning a fireplace. "Enjoy the awesome ambiance of a crackling fireplace in your living room...[the fireplace] sets the perfect backdrop for a relaxing evening," Microsoft writes. Since when is "ambiance" something that's described as "awesome?"

The Xbox Live Snow Globe [http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/12/11/the-xbox-live-snow-globe.aspxe] was one thing - it uses Avatars in a cute way, and it's free. This is fairly ridiculous. So, alright. I plop down five bucks (or download the demo) for this and, since my 360 is hooked up to a gigantic TV, I now have a fake fireplace that's five feet across in the middle of my living room. Maybe it'll work as an icebreaker during awkward Christmas party conversations.

"So uh, that's a pretty realistic fireplace."

"Yeah, it's just the demo. I bet the full one is even better, I was just too cheap to spend the money on it."

To be fair, however, plenty of folk spend more than $5 on fake fireplace DVDs and even fake fireplace displays. So embrace the next generation of transparently phony Christmas ambiance and give the Xbox 360 Fireplace a try. Bonus if you've got an older 360, because then it even comes with genuine physical heat: just put your hands or your feet near the console and soak in the warmth generated by that shoddy heatsink!

[Via Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/12/21/xbox-360-virtual-fireplace.aspx]]

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I saw this online yesterday!

What are the restrictions of the demo?
Only goes for 3 minutes before sputtering out?
A 'DEMO' sign on the top?

Because why would you pay the full amount for it...if the demo works fine?
I guess there MUST be a limitation.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
About damn time. Now to get me a comfy seat and try to roast me up some popcorn, while having a chat to the Nation.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I actually own one of those "Fireplace on DVD" thingies, so this is kind of useless.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
So I could buy this, or put on my fireplace behind my xbox. Wonder which one I will choose when it gets cold.
klc0100 said:
And you guys say HOME is useless :D
That's because it is, as is this.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
If they also included the option of throwing avatars onto the thing and watching the little bastards scream in agony as the flames consume them, I'd throw my money down in a second.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
i downloaded the demo its the same thing with "buy now" written on the bottum left. and the cracks sound like smacks rofl

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Aardvark said:
If they also included the option of throwing avatars onto the thing and watching the little bastards scream in agony as the flames consume them, I'd throw my money down in a second.
OMFG that would rock the socks

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
I'll buy it, with the awesome power of disposable income! And after that, I'm going to Burger King!

the jellyman

Jul 24, 2008
there are almost four hundred thousand things i'd use my Hd tv for. this is at 201,456. why use it for a fireplace if you've got one. then again, not everybody has one. still, you're not missing that much.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I might buy a fake, realistic looking fish tank (kind of like Tetris Splash but with better graphics more fish & no Tetris) or pay for a X-Box Live link to a web cam on a tropical reef, as a screen saver, but not a fireplace.

Without the warmth, smell and glow (and risk/thrill of it possible getting out of control) of a real fire, it's not the same at all, in fact it seems pretty boring.