181: Shangri La

Darius Poyer

Dec 22, 2008
Shangri La

"After about an hour, the cold got brutal. I tried to get outside, since the sun was shining and it looked like it wasn't as bad out there. When I reached the front door, I put on my overcoat and tried to turn the knob. It had frozen shut. My hand burned from the cold when I touched it."

Darius Poyer is cold ... so very cold.

Read Full Article

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
i think i read somewhere that shangri la translates into paradise or somthing, but that room was far from paradise. that was a very interesting story

deathbyBONK

Oct 9, 2008
Good story. Not accusing the writer of anything but I seem to recall the whole "hole shaped like me" thing from some short horror manga...mystery of amigara fault or something like that.

Good read though, no real complaints.

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
bleachigo10 said:
i think i read somewhere that shangri la translates into paradise or somthing, but that room was far from paradise. that was a very interesting story
I think the title is supposed to reflect the feeling he gets when gazing under his bed and realizing where the source of the light and heat is coming from - he has found shangri la. Also, read the last line of the story.

cthulhu257

Jul 24, 2008
Great story. Don't know why, but it reminded me of some of the HP Lovecraft stories I used to read. Especially how the cold never seems to go away.

Kiroshimatsu

Oct 17, 2008
I think it's the point just before his death... I mean if it's him in the paper who died in the hole, perhaps his actual physical body has reached the point of deluding the mind. Monks are known to go on fasts in order to cleanse the body and find inner piece...

And when you're near death, you panic, which then forced his mind to retreat to what it knew and felt comfortable in... his home... but then he found something else within himself... which is that bright light.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
That was... brilliant in its own right... I don't know why but it was.

Oh, make sure you fix your heater.

deathbyBONK

Oct 9, 2008
cthulhu257 said:
Great story. Don't know why, but it reminded me of some of the HP Lovecraft stories I used to read. Especially how the cold never seems to go away.
Yeah, cold was a big thing with lovecraft. Mountains of Madness especially

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
The mystery in that story is great. I mean, even I can't tell what exactly was going on, if it was a dream, or perhaps a supernatural event, or even just what it appeared to be. The cyclical nature of him reading the article and finding the hole under his bed was striking, and really stands out in my mind as one of the points that makes the story so open to interpretation. This is great stuff, and I for one would love to read more.

daedrick

Jul 23, 2008
xitel said:
The mystery in that story is great. I mean, even I can't tell what exactly was going on, if it was a dream, or perhaps a supernatural event, or even just what it appeared to be. The cyclical nature of him reading the article and finding the hole under his bed was striking, and really stands out in my mind as one of the points that makes the story so open to interpretation. This is great stuff, and I for one would love to read more.
Exactly my thoughts. Quoting for emphasis.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Hmm a very surreal story. I cant help but feel that the ending was fake. In the sense that. This person probably did freeze into a withering state of mind, being only barely conscious of his surrounding. He could still feel the cold around him but he had mentally escaped into this place in which he felt warm and safe.

very nice story overall. Much nicer than the twilight fanfictions which my friend had been obsessive compulsively linking to me the past hour until i had no choice but to block her lol.

Write more, with a bit of practice, this stuff is stephen king material. ( Very dream catcher like )

baaba

Dec 28, 2008
I'm strongly reminded of this short (33-page) manga:

http://pics.livejournal.com/kc_anathema/pic/00ekpk9k/g177