Alt+Escape: Don't Look Back

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Alt+Escape: Don't Look Back

If you're in the mood for a punishingly-difficult platformer a la Pitfall with a great minimalist aesthetic, Don't Look Back is for you.

Read Full Article

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I loved this game. I played it on Kongregate for an hour, doing one thing over and over again. It is SUPER hard.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
This game was rather good, I even told non gamers about it it got me so excited! I love the old school style of it, and the simple yet satisfying gameplay. I just wish it was longer, I got through it fairly quickly.

Plus its based on Greek (?) mythology which is always good times.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Catkid906 said:
I loved this game. I played it on Kongregate for an hour, doing one thing over and over again. It is SUPER hard.
I loved it too, finished it in maybe 8 min, maybe I'm just more used to older gameplay.

These are the simple and challenging games that I miss, thanks for the tipp OP.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
It *is* based on Greek mythology, the story of Orpheus and Eurydice.

Edit: The game was too hard for me(I know, kind of sad), only because of the puzzles. I got stuck at the four floating platforms and the one that crumbles. The timing was too hard for me, so I quit =/

Soulgaunt

Jan 14, 2009
sooperman said:
It *is* based on Greek mythology, the story of Orpheus and Eurydice.

Edit: The game was too hard for me(I know, kind of sad), only because of the puzzles. I got stuck at the four floating platforms and the one that crumbles. The timing was too hard for me, so I quit =/
Yeah, that part confused me at first.You jump to the 1st platform that crumbles, then jump off the first one and land on the second,then jump to the platform that reappears.
I really liked this game, its my favorite one from Kongregate.

P00dle

Feb 1, 2009
Kinda easy imho not to easy tho but for being so short it was easy.
Can someone like help me understand the ending, i think it was rather confusing for a game with no real plot.

Florion

Dec 7, 2008
It's Orpheus and Eurydice: You're Orpheus, who, after just marrying his lovely wife, discovers that a viper has attacked her and she has died. Therefore, you go off to the underworld to retrieve her. In the original myth, Orpheus goes down and meets Pluto/Hades and sings a mournful song to appeal for her revival, but since this is a video game, you go down with a pistol and fight monsters. Anyway, in the original myth, Pluto starts crying and says, "Alright, you can have her back as long as you don't look back at her until you are out of the valley of the Underworld." That part isn't explained in the game.

I took the ending of the game to mean he gets his wife back, but he can't come back to life, so they both disappear. It was quite powerful, but I could be totally off. xP

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Well, in the end he is still there while he also disappears, I think he just imagined the escaping part and realizes there's no way to bring the dead back once he finishes it

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
Florion said:
It's Orpheus and Eurydice: You're Orpheus, who, after just marrying his lovely wife, discovers that a viper has attacked her and she has died. Therefore, you go off to the underworld to retrieve her. In the original myth, Orpheus goes down and meets Pluto/Hades and sings a mournful song to appeal for her revival, but since this is a video game, you go down with a pistol and fight monsters. Anyway, in the original myth, Pluto starts crying and says, "Alright, you can have her back as long as you don't look back at her until you are out of the valley of the Underworld." That part isn't explained in the game.

I took the ending of the game to mean he gets his wife back, but he can't come back to life, so they both disappear. It was quite powerful, but I could be totally off. xP
Wow. I beat this game, relatively fast, and was left with a "meh" feeling. Reading this post gives me goosebumps, though. I've never heard of the story myself but that is pretty sweet. Greek mythology provides such interesting stories...

Feb 18, 2009
Now this was interesting, and really old-school. Not so difficult as I thought at first, but much fun, nevertheless. It´s all about the timing, as it usually is in old-school games. A great example how music can effectively enhance the atmosphere, despite blocky graphics. I liked.

E-mantheseeker

Nov 29, 2008
I loved the old school gameplay, and blocky graphics.

For some reason I loved that little effect that happened when you did look back... needless to say, I looked back a lot of times

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
That was quite enjoyable, though it wasn't that hard... that could be 'cause of the infinite life thing.

Duh

Feb 19, 2009
that was great, definetly one of my favorite online games including Dino run

Lusperus

Aug 20, 2008
good game some parts of it were frustrating like killing cerberus in the 3rd form (where he charges you relentlessley) and some of the last puzzles were hard to do w/ out looking right.

Weird, a day before don't look back was released or however you say it I saw euridice- a play at my local theatre.

Cyanin

Dec 25, 2009
Not as drastically difficult as i thought, if you had a set amount of lives however, then t's be difficult.

And greek mythology has some pretty great stories alright.