Braid Coming to PC, Possibly PS3

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Braid Coming to PC, Possibly PS3

The time-warping indie hit is coming to PC between February and March, while a PS3 version isn't planned but is still a possibility.

PC gamers who like to wrote on the Braid blog [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nebKYFxXrLY]. "I know this isn't good news for those of you who have been waiting a long time for the game, but there sure are lots of games out there for you to play in the meantime."

Braid originally debuted on Xbox Live Arcade [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/b/braidxboxlivearcade/], and a PC version had been ready for some time since, but Blow didn't think there was a good release window until now. "I had originally announced the release date for the end of 2008, but for various reasons, this hasn't happened," Blow wrote. "Once we slipped into mid-October and all the big Christmas-season blockbusters started coming out, it just seemed like a bad idea to schedule Braid for that time period, as it seems likely it'd get released and then disappear."

Blow also mentioned that work was beginning on a Mac version of Braid, saying that he's hiring someone to port his code and that "the release date for this would be hopefully not long after the PC version."

No mention of how Blow plans to distribute the game, but considering he's already done the Xbox Live thing, we can presume that it'll hit the popular digital distribution channels, unless Blow intends to sell it himself.

Finally, Blow also discussed the status of a PS3 version of Braid, saying that there are "no plans for other platforms in the near future," though a PS3 version "a little later on" remains a possibility. This, however, isn't Blow's call but rather Sony's, as Braid on PS3 wholly "depends on whether Sony is interested in the game."

[Via VideoGamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/05-01-2009-10270.html]]

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'm still confused as to what Braid is supposed to be. Though it would be nice if it came to PSN. Unless the PC version is free.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
Jumplion said:
I'm still confused as to what Braid is supposed to be. Though it would be nice if it came to PSN. Unless the PC version is free.
Broad description: Braid is a puzzle-oriented platformer, in which the player has an unlimited ability to reverse time (compare to the Prince of Persia games).

I've been waiting for the PC version for a long time; I played a couple levels on a friend's XBox in November, and I've wanted to own it since. Of course, he had "PC version coming out in 2008" on the game's website up until about Christmas, so part of me wonders if he got a job at Blizzard in the meantime.

Jav3lin

Jan 18, 2009
so can some1 please tell me if this is like a 2D game that you play like mario? or is this a game worth downlodaing?? i mean, is it a 3rd person adventure/shooter or maybe 1st person adventure? or is it just pretty much an adventure copy of mario? :I

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
iceland said:
so can some1 please tell me if this is like a 2D game that you play like mario? or is this a game worth downlodaing?? i mean, is it a 3rd person adventure/shooter or maybe 1st person adventure? or is it just pretty much an adventure copy of mario? :I
Is your internet broken? Are you somehow incapable of looking these things up for yourself?

harhol said:
If it came to PSN with trophies at the same time as PC I would happily buy it for the PS3. However, in light of Blow's platformist policy I will torrent the PC version several times out of spite.
While I personally don't like Jonathan Blow, I don't think that he can be accused of being biased towards any platform. The Xbox 360 and PC operate in very similar ways, so the fact that the PC version is ready first isn't surprising. The PS3's cell processor works in a very different way to the PC or 360, so naturally, it takes more time to get it working.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
I already played and completed braid so this doesn't really affect me, but a game on a Macintosh computer, impossible.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
I find him pretentious and arrogant, that said, he is to be commended for bringing a game so steeped in metaphor to Xbox Live.

Mar 26, 2008
nilcypher said:
I find him pretentious and arrogant, that said, he is to be commended for bringing a game so steeped in metaphor to Xbox Live.
I fully agree.

Hopefully we will see more games of its calibre on XBLA.