183: What Would Yoshi Do?

Graeme Virtue

May 23, 2008
What Would Yoshi Do?

Can videogame characters be role models? Graeme Virtue knows there's only one way to find out: Pretend to be an assortment of gaming icons for 24 hours and record the results.

Read Full Article

Logan Keller

Jul 24, 2008
A good article. I like how it shows what kind of role models we can find from video games but also what effect emulating these role models can have on what we do and how we behave.

Novan Leon

Dec 10, 2007
My personal pick as a videogame role model:

The boy with no name from Shadow of the Colossus.

Determined. Undeterred by tremendous obstacles.
Faithful/Hopeful. Continuing steadfastly to strive for something that seems nigh impossible and an outcome that is ultimately uncertain.
Loyal. Steadfast and loyal in his love for the woman he lost.
Strong. No explanation required.
Kind. Kind and gentle in the way he treats his faithful companion, his horse.
Self-reliant. Alone in an unknown land with only the companionship of his horse, yet with relentless motivation to accomplish the task at hand.

J-Man

Nov 2, 2008
Awesome article. Sometimes I just wanna be JC Denton.

Why the fuck didn't I think of this article?!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Novan Leon said:

Faithful/Hopeful. Continuing steadfastly to strive for something that seems nigh impossible and an outcome that is ultimately uncertain.
Self-reliant. Alone in an unknown land with only the companionship of his horse, yet with relentless motivation to accomplish the task at hand.
His name is Wander, actually.

And you forgot "willing to stab innocent creatures in the face."

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Ok first day at a new school tomorrow going to use The Lich King as my role model and see how many friends I can make.

The Lich King from various Warcraft titles-

Badass: will kill you if you look at him funny
Cold and calculating: It takes one smart cookie to mobilize brainless undead into an army, a good one at that.
Carries A huge sword: got nothing
Doesn't mind the cold: I mean his throne is made of freaking ice so is his city (this one helps because I just moved to Ireland)
A good people person(because he controls them): The man has a huuuuuge fanbase spreading from all races and even virtual and non-virtual.

Novan Leon

Dec 10, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
Novan Leon said:

His name is Wander, actually.

And you forgot "willing to stab innocent creatures in the face."
I believe he's only named in the Japanese version of the game, where he's named "Wanda". It didn't translate very well into English so I think they dropped it for the American version.

I don't know whether or not the colossi are "innocent", or even "creatures", but they sure are cool.

Novan Leon

Dec 10, 2007
stormcaller said:
Ok first day at a new school tomorrow going to use The Lich King as my role model and see how many friends I can make.

Badass: will kill you if oyu look at him funny
Cold and calculating: It takes one smart cookie to mobilize brainless undead into an army, a good one at that.
Doesn't mind the cold: I mean his throne is made of freaking ice so is his city (this one helps because I just moved to Ireland)
A good people person(because he controls them): The man has a huuuuuge fanbase spreading from all races and even virtual and non-virtual.
That's a heck of a role model. Don't forget your long and tormented transition from hero of the alliance to master of the undead hordes!

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Novan Leon said:
stormcaller said:

Badass: will kill you if oyu look at him funny
That's a heck of a role model. Don't forget your long and tormented transition from hero of the alliance to master of the undead hordes!
Very true however If I go from the Ner'zhul side of the story I get to be a wise,powerful shaman corrupted by demonic forces, then later see the error of my ways and try to turn back however my former demonic masters capture me and freeze my spirit inside a block of magical ice, from which I corrupt a young,human prince to become the new vessel for my now omni-powerful mind.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I've always wanted Leon Kennedy from RE4 as a role model, simply because he owns so very much.

Great article! I think I'm going to act like Yoshi tomorrow.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
I shall choose Minsc from Baldur's Gate. He is a greatest hero of all time!

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I like Rosalina as a role model, if only because she presents God as a mother figure instead of a macho construction worker. And I'm male.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Um... this article didn't seem to have too much of a point. I mean, for me, it turned into more of a "Oh, what will the wacky writer try next?" extravaganza than an intelligently written article. I mean, I understand that it was trying to decipher role models in a video game world, but couldn't that have been better accomplished by drawing a comparison between the archetype role model and a particular video game character, and then analyzing similarities and differences.

But I'm rambling. It did get me to think about which character I'd choose as a role-model. But other than that... it gets a resounding "meh." from me.

Fugue

Oct 20, 2008
I am reminded of my friend's brother who decided he would try to run at full speed everywhere he went for a week, because that's how it's done in FPS games.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Flying-Emu said:
Um... this article didn't seem to have too much of a point. I mean, for me, it turned into more of a "Oh, what will the wacky writer try next?" extravaganza than an intelligently written article. I mean, I understand that it was trying to decipher role models in a video game world, but couldn't that have been better accomplished by drawing a comparison between the archetype role model and a particular video game character, and then analyzing similarities and differences.

But I'm rambling. It did get me to think about which character I'd choose as a role-model. But other than that... it gets a resounding "meh." from me.
Is it a crime to write something light-hearted and fun?

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Sylocat said:
Flying-Emu said:

Well, no. That'd just be ridiculous. This just doesn't seem like a topic that necessarily lends itself to Chaplinesque humour.

Never did I say that it was a crime to write a "light-hearted and fun" article. Please don't put words in my mouth. I simply said that, in my opinion, it would've been more interesting to have an examination with a more logical than humourous approach.

DtheHut

Sep 25, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Sylocat said:
Flying-Emu said:

Well, no. That'd just be ridiculous. This just doesn't seem like a topic that necessarily lends itself to Chaplinesque humour.

Never did I say that it was a crime to write a "light-hearted and fun" article. Please don't put words in my mouth. I simply said that, in my opinion, it would've been more interesting to have an examination with a more logical than humourous approach.
*cough* so hard to breath in all this smug....

Good article. I thought that using the reactions of others as a gauge for how effective a model each character is was a sound and amusing system. I don't think that this article is without its merits either. Children would likely behave in this way. I saw a little kid yank someone off of their razor a couple of weeks ago in front of my house. When I asked him what he thought he was doing, he replied: "Playing GTA". It made me laugh a little. Children really do focus on the most obtuse elements of a role model and eagerly regurgitate them until they are no longer recognizable. Good work.

P.S. "Lara's cakes are a lie" is the kind of joke me and my friends would refer to as a "Snarf". Think about it.