Hideo Kojima "Starting From Zero"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hideo Kojima "Starting From Zero"

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima says he plans to dramatically overhaul the Kojima Productions [http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/] studio in order to make his games more accessible and competitive with Western productions.

Despite the success of PlayStation 3 [http://www.konami.jp/mgs4/global/] and sparked a brief but dramatic surge in the console's sales when it was released, Kojima said 2009 was going to be "a very important year" for the studio as it reviews its team and processes to determine how to better "challenge foreign creators and software houses."

"I've come to understand that the way we've made games up until now won't translate globally, and I've come to think that I need to make Kojima Productions a team that can compete alongside the rest of the world," he told Famitsu [http://www.famitsu.com/]. "I've thought a lot about how Western games have been winning, looking it from a global perspective, and there are things that I've noticed. So 2009 will be a year of change, a year where we start from zero again."

"With games, you've got to use cutting-edge techniques, and doing so costs money," he continued. "So I don't think you can make games that just appeal to the Japanese market. So, 2009 will see us continuing to think how to create a team that can take on the world."

In light of the success he's had so far, Kojima's "tear it down and start over" attitude is a bit of a surprise. Of course, it could just be a little bit of hype as a way to keep himself in the public eye, but it may also be a harbinger of something bigger: a new franchise, perhaps, or a move away from the PlayStation 3. There's no doubt that many Japanese games have difficulty penetrating the Western market, but is the Metal Gear series really one of them?

Source: Develop [http://www.developmag.com/news/31026/Kojima-Productions-starting-from-zero-for-2009]

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
So many Japanese games have been taking flak for their convoluted storytelling, strong Japanisms, Cut Scene focus and lack of international (not just Western/American) appeal. I suppose it's nice to see Kojima taking the criticism of his games in stride and trying to make some changes based on the more valid concerns regarding his game design. Still most of MGS4's issues could have been solved by better writing.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Personally, I wouldn't mind the stories of Japanese games if they approached something worth telling. At least most Western games with bad stories have minor focus on them, whereas Japanese games really make you suffer.

It doesn't help that the voice actors for a lot of Japanese games are anime voice actors, people that REALLY need to review what standards there are in some of the best Western animation (from Animaniacs to Beast Wars to Mighty Max to as far as the 1970's Lord of the Rings film).

But that is neither here nor there. I think more so Hideo Kojima needs to make a new franchise, because I've long since lost interest in Metal Gear Solid.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Interesting... Interesting indeed. I doubt he can completely overhaul his operation, but it will be interesting to see him try.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
In other words, he's saying he'll dumb it way down and cut plot for us lazy westerners.

So all I can say is:

We're no. 1! We're no. 1!

ZantetsukenQ

Sep 25, 2008
To be fair, the man is such a legend due to the MGS series that people will buy his product regardless. I'm one such person.. *sigh* Oh Hideo.

The idea of a more westernised game is pretty cool, just please god don't let it be an FPS.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Hideo Kojima is the George Lucas of Japan. Look for the 3 MGS prequels this summer, guest starring Jar Jar Binks!

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
HobbesMkii said:
In other words, he's saying he'll dumb it way down and cut plot for us lazy westerners.

So all I can say is:

We're no. 1! We're no. 1!
I think it'd be hard to pry him away from his beloved storylines. He seems like the kind of guy that should be working with the Heavy Rain-team :)

Then again, he's a gun nut too unless I'm mistaken, so maybe he'll try for something with a story integrated into gameplay á la BioShock for his next game?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Perhaps a story narrated BY the gun. I mean, you know how in some fantasy novels there are magical swords that talk and have minds (weapon sentience), why not do that with a gun. Hey, they did it in Rogue Trooper.

mrhertz

Jan 6, 2009
Now thats an attitude.

From someone how has a strong reputation series, and now wanting to start all over again from scratch, no matter what or how the approach will be, THATS IT HIDEO!!!!

Many people without creativity would ask "No more metal gear? WHYYYY..... I wanna see Metal Gear 20... F******ck them!

We always need new challenges, and to those who think we ocidentals are lazy... cut the crap off.

In fact japanese stories reached a drama level far more heavier than mexican novels, so if he can pass over that and create something without - "oh my gooooood, you are this, that, thoooooooose to my life.... CANT LIVE WITHOUT YOUUUUUU (japs always scream).... - WILL BE GREAT!!!

KICK IT HIDEO! Metal series was excellent, now show us more new stuff !!!