Valve Implements New TF2 Server Scoring

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Implements New TF2 Server Scoring

Team Fortress 2 [http://www.valvesoftware.com/] servers that it hopes will help improve the "player experience" by weeding out the bad apples.

A good Team Fortress 2 server is a bit like a good auto mechanic: Finding either can be tricky. Valve has been considering ways to make the process easier for "a while now" and has finally settled on a remarkably simple method of rating servers that won't penalize games with custom rules and isn't susceptible to "lies" from the servers themselves.

"After kicking around some proposals, we came up with a simple system built around the theory that player time on a server is a useful metric for how happy the player is with that server," Valve programmer Robin Walker wrote on the Steam [http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2338] backend entirely from Steam client data, so servers can't interfere with it. We already had this data for all the TF2 servers in the world, allowing us to try several different scoring formulas out before settling on this simple one that successfully identified good & bad servers."

The formula in question assigns every new server in the master server list a score of zero, then deducts 15 points from that score every time a player connects. For each minute a player stays connected, one point is added to the score, up to a maximum of 45 points per player. Servers that have a large number of players joining and leaving quickly will score badly while those that keep keep people connected and playing will move up on the rating list.

"The bulk of servers in the world are doing a pretty good job of providing an experience that's expected by the people joining them," Walker said, referring to server data from the previous week. "More importantly, it's really easy to see what servers are bad. Overlaying the number of players connecting to the servers illustrates how nasty an effect these bad servers are having on players. The very worst servers attract a large number of connections, mostly because they're lying in ways that make them look like a very attractive server at all times."

Valve has delisted the "really bad servers" so players will no longer see them in the master server list, but Walker claimed that's only the "first step" in the plan. "After that, we're going to keep improving our ability to measure this kind of problem," he said.

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
I think I see a new type of griefing, folks. Some people will join a bunch of random servers and then quickly leave, causing a massive drop in several legitimate servers in addition to getting rid of the ones that cheat.

It is a good concept, and I support it. The only problem is, someone has to be there to watch and make sure the server griefing doesn't occur.

Mr.Bubbles43

Jul 23, 2008
Seems like they should add it so that a single person can only deduct that 15 points every hour or something, otherwise if somebody just joins and leaves a server over and over they will score really low.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
Codgo said:
Ugh! The servers with fake players just to get you to join annoy the hell out me. This system should block these servers soon, i've seen a hosting company that runs about 4-5 TF2 servers... and they are empty 24/7 but they fake the server details to say they have 22/24 or 28/32 etc.
I always thought that was my TF2 messing up. If thats the case I think its time I did a little house cleaning on my favourites list.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Ralackk said:
Codgo said:
Ugh! The servers with fake players just to get you to join annoy the hell out me. This system should block these servers soon, i've seen a hosting company that runs about 4-5 TF2 servers... and they are empty 24/7 but they fake the server details to say they have 22/24 or 28/32 etc.
I always thought that was my TF2 messing up.
Same here.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Mr.Bubbles43 said:
Seems like they should add it so that a single person can only deduct that 15 points every hour or something, otherwise if somebody just joins and leaves a server over and over they will score really low.
Ohhh So thats why..hate those servers...

Also nice idea. WOnder if it will be adapted to other Valve multiplayer games.

deathbyBONK

Oct 9, 2008
This is a good plan, however trolling or 'griefing' servers that players you don't like frequent becomes all too easy. Get a bunch of guys, rapidly connect and leave from multiple players or accounts (not a steam user so I dunno if you can do that).

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
grinklehi said:
I think I see a new type of griefing, folks. Some people will join a bunch of random servers and then quickly leave, causing a massive drop in several legitimate servers in addition to getting rid of the ones that cheat.

It is a good concept, and I support it. The only problem is, someone has to be there to watch and make sure the server griefing doesn't occur.
This pretty much. I won't hold my breath on these changes: they could take a devious turn for the worse.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I don't see how it can go wrong, I'm sure if people want to band together just to 'grief' a good server, the server mods or Valve themselves can do something about it, and apart from that I see no downside to a good scoring system.

deathbyBONK

Oct 9, 2008
Kwil said:
deathbyBONK said:
This is a good plan, however trolling or 'griefing' servers that players you don't like frequent becomes all too easy. Get a bunch of guys, rapidly connect and leave from multiple players or accounts (not a steam user so I dunno if you can do that).
You'd have to get a *bunch* of guys, as steam attaches each account to the games it has, and only allows one account per game copy (annoying when my partner and I want to play with/against each other.. we had to purchase a second copy). Plus, if you've got a bunch of people bouncing in and out of a bunch of servers, that's pretty easy to detect. Even without detection though, because of the way the system is set up, you'd need 3 griefers for every single normal player on a good server, and even that would only take the score down to 0 -- the baseline they all start from.

Good point, like I said I'm no expert on the workings of steam client so it could very well be a solid plan. I just know a good trolling opportunity when I see it haha

Jan 29, 2009
Codgo said:
I just HATE that! I think those might be reserved slots for "those of greater financial advantage" or something equally as bogus. I want to see the server score listed as part of map viewing PLEASE.

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
Kwil said:
deathbyBONK said:
You'd have to get a *bunch* of guys, as steam attaches each account to the games it has, and only allows one account per game copy (annoying when my partner and I want to play with/against each other.. we had to purchase a second copy).
That's the whole point... one copy of the game, one player. It's the same with any online game that requires a CD-key. Otherwise your "shared" account could easily be "shared" with the rest of the world (either deliberately or unintentionally).