First I Am Alive Details Come Alive

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
First I Am Alive Details Come Alive

The first substantial information about Ubisoft's enigmatic survival game has arrived, revealing an interesting take on the first-person genre and dispelling rumors of Jade Raymond's involvement.

Back when 1UP [http://iamalivegame.us.ubi.com/]), we have some real information on the game, and it does sound pretty interesting, even though we now know Jade Raymond actually has nothing to do with it.

In I Am Alive, you play as Adam Collins, a survivor of a massive earthquake that has wrecked Chicago. Adam has to find his girlfriend, save her and rally a group of survivors to alert and get help from the government. True to its title, I Am Alive seems very much to be about being (and staying) alive in the wake of something that has literally rocked the foundations of life as we know it. "In I Am Alive, we're not only turning your everyday life upside down; we're also changing the very social values and rules that both everyday life and videogames rely on," Alexis Goddard, senior producer, said. As such, items are realistically scarce - even moreso than they'd be in a survival horror game - and they have to be used creatively, like the water bottle in the trailer, which Adam used to lure a group of attackers into a trap.

Guns are present in I Am Alive, but in a Mirror's Edge [http://www.mirrorsedge.com/] kind of way, don't exactly mean you can just barrel through a room unloading rounds. "We encourage the player to use tactics, diversion, and distraction," Goddard said. "You've found a police shotgun, which is out of bullets...How about some intimidation? After all, who knows the gun is empty but you? Just point it at looters and they'll remain at a distance as you progress toward your objective."

And like Mirror's Edge, all this anti-shoot-em-up action takes place from that most trigger-happy of gameplay perspectives: first-person. "We wanted the player to really feel the power of Mother Nature, to feel the danger coming from the collapsing towers and devastating rifts, feel the chaos happening all around him," Goddard explained. "There's nothing like a first-person view to create that kind of emotion."

Similarities to PS2 earthquake-survival game Disaster Report [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster_Report] aside (water's pretty central in that as well), I Am Alive seems like a very high-concept take on some established videogame genres. Hopefully we'll hear more about it as the year progresses.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Finally, I been wondering about this one.

I thought I'd be playing no first-person games next year. It does sound a hell of a lot like survivors, which is awesome.

The thing is though, this is set after an earthquake right? Well...why are all these people still in the city?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Finally, I been wondering about this one.

I thought I'd be playing no first-person games next year. It does sound a hell of a lot like survivors, which is awesome.

The thing is though, this is set after an earthquake right? Well...why are all these people still in the city?
It's set during the Bush Presidency *RIMSHOT*

Dealin Burgers

Feb 21, 2008
"You've found a police shotgun, which is out of bullets...How about some intimidation? After all, who knows the gun is empty but you? Just point it at looters and they'll remain at a distance as you progress toward your objective."

Finally! Always wanted something like this present in a game.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I look at it this way, they had experience with Mirror's Edge in the first-person category and I think they succeeded in that. Ubisoft saw that and can take it and work with Mirror's Edge and improve upon it. So to say the least, I'm really excited to see how this one rolls out. I'm always a huge supporter of Ubisoft's games simply because they're usually trying to do different things with their games.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Yet more proof that people are wrong when they say nothing new and creative is ever made anymore.

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
The game seems like a great idea, but I'm thrilled about the locale. As a Chicago native, I'll enjoy seeing some familiar landmarks...that is...if they actually put real structures and stuff in, as opposed to, "Oh look. That's the Sears Tower. I guess this isn't New York."

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Well, it's definitely got potential, but then a lot of game concepts do. Still, won't hurt to give it a try. It looks worthy of a rental at least.

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
Oh, it sounds like such a good idea for a game, but I can't help but feel something will be messed up.

Guns are present in I Am Alive, but in a Mirror's Edge kind of way, don't exactly mean you can just barrel through a room unloading rounds. "We encourage the player to use tactics, diversion, and distraction," Goddard said. "You've found a police shotgun, which is out of bullets...How about some intimidation? After all, who knows the gun is empty but you? Just point it at looters and they'll remain at a distance as you progress toward your objective."

Like this. Cool idea, but if it works every time, no exceptions, then it'll become a little bland.

Nice setting though. Fingers crossed that it turns out well.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
Novajam said:
Oh, it sounds like such a good idea for a game, but I can't help but feel something will be messed up.

Guns are present in I Am Alive, but in a Mirror's Edge kind of way, don't exactly mean you can just barrel through a room unloading rounds. "We encourage the player to use tactics, diversion, and distraction," Goddard said. "You've found a police shotgun, which is out of bullets...How about some intimidation? After all, who knows the gun is empty but you? Just point it at looters and they'll remain at a distance as you progress toward your objective."

Like this. Cool idea, but if it works every time, no exceptions, then it'll become a little bland.
Not to mention that they've now completely ruined the enjoyment of discovering this mechanic on your own. So now that everyone knows about this they'll immediately try it and say "Yep, it works." No surprise, no reward.

I hate when developers reveal details about their games this way. LET US PLAY THEM AND FIGURE IT OUT OURSELVES FFS.

spyrewolf

Jan 7, 2009
this is good, whilst i do not have a problem with first person games, shooters are a bit of a grind, now days due to saturation. everyone points to mirrors edge being this radical new perspective, but condemned 2 did this 1st and to some degree, better, if this is a survival game from this perspective i'm interested, ....if this is a shooter with few guns, i'll take a look, if this is a shooter in a new wrapper i may rent.

Finally! "You've found a police shotgun, which is out of bullets...How about some intimidation? After all, who knows the gun is empty but you? Just point it at looters and they'll remain at a distance as you progress toward your objective."

Finally! Always wanted something like this present in a game.
you can now already, metal gear has had this since the 1st one

Specter_

Dec 24, 2008
Keane Ng said:
like the water bottle in the trailer, which Adam used to lure a group of attackers into a trap.
Could someone provide me with a link, please? To the trailer I mean.