Psychiatrist: Videogames Can Teach Kids Empathy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Psychiatrist: Videogames Can Teach Kids Empathy

A Chicago-based psychiatrist says parents often aren't aware of the many benefits videogames can offer children because of the intense focus on controversial games that are designed for mature gamers.

"Games have lots of benefits, which unfortunately, parents aren't always aware of when the only games they're exposed to are the controversial violent ones targeted to more mature players," said Dr. Kourosh Dini, author of Video Game Play and Addiction: A Guide for Parents and a long-time gamer himself. "Age appropriate multiplayer video games can allow children to learn how other people think - a key aspect of empathy. Games can also help a child become more comfortable with new and ever progressing technology."

Topics covered in the book include improved learning and communications skills, emotional and mental health, aggression, motivational and withdrawal issues. Dini also looks at the controversial subject of videogame addiction, noting that despite the opinions of daytime talk-show hosts and grandstanding "experts," the declined [http://www.ama-assn.org/] to categorize videogame addiction as an actual mental illness. Nonetheless, he says there are gamers who play to excess, and examines the warning signs, causes and consequences of unhealthy gaming. "To be sure, there are those who play problematically," he said. "Learning how to tell the difference can be critical toward promoting healthy development."

Dini's experience with games stretches from Super Mario Bros. to Amazon [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] and other online bookstores.

via: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/psych-games-teach-kids-empathy]

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
This guy's got a point. Unfortunately, those talk-show hacks and scare-mongers are going to drown this out.

Terazeal

Sep 10, 2008
I don't get how you can "teach" things like empathy. People are sure to form their own morals about things, unless they're weak-minded, in which case, trying to control them is just plain wrong.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
You want an educational videogame? Hand your kids Deus Ex. It was the only game that ever made me feel bad for killing people who were SHOOTING at me. Also all the philosophy hurt my head...

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
I honestly can't think of any deep and earthshattering psychological benefits to playing video games. It helps you keep in touch with friends and provides a wealth of entertainment but thats about it. It doesn't build teamwork or give you time management skills or perseverance. I'd say it gives you an insight into what people are insecure about through their attacks on other players. I read somewhere that people use the insults that they would be hurt by most themselves if they were true, not to mention the elitism that goes on across many games. So there's certainly a display of the dark side of human nature in some places.

Overall I think people are trying to overexplain games and their use. It keeps you enterntained.. that's about it.