Obama: Your Friendly Neighbourhood President-Elect

Feb 13, 2008
Obama: Your Friendly Neighbourhood President-Elect

Two heroes meet after defeating their arch-nemeses. One of them is Spider-Man.

January 14th sees the release of Amazing Spider-Man #583, in which Spidey is joined by Barack Obama. In a dastardly plot, the Chameleon [http://www.marvel.com/universe/Chameleon] wants to be sworn in as President. Can our web-slinging wall-crawler save Obama?

Whilst this may seem like a publicity stunt, caricaturing presidents is something old hat to the likes of MAD magazine [http://www.dccomics.com/mad/], though it generally ends up in lampoonery - see Jedi Bush [http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=72LF7GWUEus] in Robot Chicken, or B.L.A.I.R. 1 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.A.C.H._1] in 2000 AD.

John F. Kennedy also helped to save Superman's identity back in 1963, but in one of those horrible twists of fate the comic was released on the last week of November 1963.

The Spidey issue, selling for $3.99 at comic-book specialty shops, is expected to be an instant sellout, especially because the Obama cover, by Phil Jimenez, is limited to half the run. Given that Obama himself is a big Spider-Man fan, you can expect a lot of them to be shipped directly to the White House.

Source: USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2009-01-07-obama-spiderman-comic_N.htm?csp=34]

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
First Colbert and Spiderman, now Obama and Spiderman... Peter Parker is either incredibly bad at his job or a sellout.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Something is wrong with Spiderman's head in that picture...can't quite put my finger on it...

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
GothmogII said:
Something is wrong with Spiderman's head in that picture...can't quite put my finger on it...
It looks like the mask is a bit too tight on his head.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
GothmogII said:
Its the size of a childs, and it lacks a jawbone?

I thought the Chameleon was dead. Then again, when has anyone in the Marvel universe ever stayed dead?
I was going to go with 'grinning skull' but that works too. ^^

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
GothmogII said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
GothmogII said:
Its the size of a childs, and it lacks a jawbone?

I thought the Chameleon was dead. Then again, when has anyone in the Marvel universe ever stayed dead?
I was going to go with 'grinning skull' but that works too. ^^
I was thinking somewhere along the lines of skull too...

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
GothmogII said:
It seems as though he has gained a cleft chin.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
"...expect a lot of them to be shipped to the White House."!? I hope by a lot you mean two. I mean, besides one to read and one to keep in mint condition, I don't see the need for more. I don't take Obama for the "resell on eBay" type.

Feb 13, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
"...expect a lot of them to be shipped to the White House."!? I hope by a lot you mean two. I mean, besides one to read and one to keep in mint condition, I don't see the need for more. I don't take Obama for the "resell on eBay" type.
Well, he might have a few Spidey fans in the White House as well. :)

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Marvel has been all over the election. In the Marvel Verse, it was actually a three way race between Obama, McCain, and STEVEN COLBERT. Colbert almost won, but lost when it was discovered there was a vote count error and Obama was elected.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Lets not forget on which side of the divide Spiderman (eventually) fell in the Civil War. (I have no idea how to make that relevant...)

Feb 13, 2008
rossatdi said:
Lets not forget on which side of the divide Spiderman (eventually) fell in the Civil War. (I have no idea how to make that relevant...)
AFAICR, Spidey actually agreed to the Registration, and when he did reveal his ID, he was hounded by the Press until he was forced to join the Anti-Registration cabal.

With great power comes great responsibility. Actually, that could be Obama's manifesto.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
rossatdi said:
AFAICR, Spidey actually agreed to the Registration, and when he did reveal his ID, he was hounded by the Press until he was forced to join the Anti-Registration cabal.

With great power comes great responsibility. Actually, that could be Obama's manifesto.
I thought it was discovering Iron Man's prison dimension thingy that flipped him?