Sony Reports First Loss in 14 Years

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Sony Reports First Loss in 14 Years

The $23 billion technology conglomerate will be reporting a $1.1 billion loss for its 2008 fiscal year, its first loss in fourteen years.

When its financial year ends on March 31, Sony will have recorded its second yearly loss since the company went public in 1958.

The corporation had previously promised a $2 billion (200 billion yen) profit, an optimistic goal that was called into question when 16,000 employees [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88441-Rumors-Sony-to-Cut-Several-Divisions] worldwide were cut from the company payroll. Additional layoffs, lower spending and the shutting of factories are meant to help return Sony to profitability.

Shockingly, gaming has strongly affected Sony's financials, with the Huffington Post [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/12/sony-to-post-11-billion-l_n_157353.html] reporting, "The losses are coming from the company's core electronics division, which has long been a steady source of profits."

Sony's stock traded down 7.7 percent in Tokyo trading and 4.85 percent on the New York Stock Exchange before the market opened.

Source: MarketWatch [http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/sony-seen-reporting-first-operating/story.aspx?guid={EB93C327-1CAE-446E-818D-3F0AABA7FFDF}&dist=msr_1]

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Onmi said:
Well that sucks doesn't it.

Whats in the core electronic division?
. . .

Logan Frederick said:
Shockingly, gaming has strongly affected Sony's financials, with the Huffington Post [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/12/sony-to-post-11-billion-l_n_157353.html] reporting, "The losses are coming from the company's core electronics division, which has long been a steady source of profits."

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
Anyone still hopeful of the PS4?
Was anyone?

This isn't shocking at all. With the financial crisis piled on with the PS3 not selling too well, Sony was bound to lose a lot.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Onmi said:
Aries_Split said:
Onmi said:

. . .

Logan Frederick said:
It's late, i'm tired, just say yes or no I can't figure anything out.
Gaming, Sir.

Gaming, is in the core electronics division.

Kyuumi

Jan 12, 2009
Isn't this just ironic, they had it coming, but they just kept digging deeper...
Love how it says Sony "Reports" First Loss.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Well I can't say that I'm surprised, I have friends who have all three consoles and they each prefer the 360, so that is proof enough for me.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Aries_Split said:
Onmi said:
Aries_Split said:
Onmi said:

. . .

Logan Frederick said:
It's late, i'm tired, just say yes or no I can't figure anything out.
Gaming, Sir.

Gaming, is in the core electronics division.
May I just say that I found this little back and forth quite funny, especially since you clearly are tired since you asked him to "Just say yes or no" in response to a question that wasn't a yes or no question.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Yeah. I read this on GameSpot a few hours ago.
I don't care, since I have a Xbox360.
When Kingdom Hearts III gets announced, and if I get enough money to buy a PS3, then I'll care.

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
Honestly, this isn't surprising, considering the combination of factors that are hurting the PS3 sales - a combination of what I would call underperforming sales on the "big name" titles, from Little Big Planet, to Resistance 2 and more (with the notable exception of Metal Gear Solid 4, no title moved consoles this year), as well as a "months behind" online experience in Home and perhaps most telling, the bad timing of selling something that is worlds more expensive in a painful economical climate.

Clearly even with all these issues, the PS3 still subscribes to what was said at this year's E3 by Sony themselves - that the PS3's immense hardware and media capability is a long-term decision that won't bear fruit immediately. But I wonder at how, with the emergence of the Wii as the "casual" gamer's system and the 360 being the console of choice for the college-age, action-oriented, dependence-on-parents-with-disposable-income crew, how a full-fledged multimedia system like the PS3 will find its way into the homes of its target demographic.

I'm no expert, but I'd honestly take a hard look at what the PS3 is actually offering, check the price tag vs. the return on investment given the economical climate, and make adjustments accordingly. I really like, as a PS3 owner, I'm being sold on multimedia capability and entertainment value on one hand and exclusive game titles on the other. If Sony's aim is to be the full multimedia experience system, then the appeal of the system has to be marketed more towards that rather than towards titles which smack of "eggs in one basket" in terms of profits.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I'm sure at the time, investing everything in the idea of the HD market going forward was a good idea.

Obviously things outside of their control contributed to this problem.

But on the other hand they also put all their eggs in one basket for the most part.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
sirdanrhodes said:
Anyone still hopeful of the PS4?
Was anyone?

This isn't shocking at all. With the financial crisis piled on with the PS3 not selling too well, Sony was bound to lose a lot.
I will remember this thread and I will dig it out in 2012 (or later) and we will see if there is a PS4 or if it is announced.