Nintendo DSi Coming In April for $179?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Nintendo DSi Coming In April for $179?

Nintendo's IGN [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/series/dsi/index.html].

Citing "multiple sources close to Nintendo," IGN reported that Nintendo plans to release of the upgraded version the wildly popular DS handheld within the first half of the year. "More specifically, the company has allegedly relayed to its partners that DSi will ship stateside in early April, most likely on April 4," IGN wrote. "Insiders assert that they have been told the system will retail for $179.99 when it launches domestically."

The rumored release date comes as something of a surprise, as Nintendo's Satoru Iwata had stated [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87163-DSi-To-Arrive-In-U-S-Next-Summer] that Nintendo planned to release the DSi in the states by this summer. And while getting new hardware earlier is certainly something to get excited about, getting it for cheaper than we expected is even better. The $179.99 price point IGN has on good word is a fair amount less than what the system sells for in Japan, where it goes for 18,900 yen (roughly $211 in US McDollars). With the DS Lite currently going for $129.99, a $179.99 price point would mean but a $50 difference between the two systems which, Nintendo probably hopes, will be a negligible amount for potential buyers.

IGN hypothesized that the reason the US is getting a better deal is because the DS Lite still has legs in the US, as opposed to Japan, where it has reached peak penetration. "Nintendo of America may be planning to market DSi alongside the still-popular DS Lite, which would at least explain the different price points: one version for casuals and another for the core," they wrote.

So, the DSi will have an SD card slot, a built-in camera, internal memory and host of other minor improvements to the DS Lite. If these rumors are to be believed and we're getting the DSi in the next few months and for just 50 bucks more than a regular DS costs, do you guys think it'll be worth it?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Keane Ng said:
With the DS Lite currently going for $129.99, a $179.99 price point would mean but a $50 dollar upgrade for current DS owners and, Nintendo probably hopes, a negligible difference for potential buyers.
Urm...unless you can trade your DS lite for a DSI for full retail value "upgrading" will cost just as much as buying new :) Or am i misunderstanding what the DSi is & you can just get the additions seperate for the Lite?

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Could this be the final nail in the PSP coffin? I see an empty grave next to the NGage.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Keane Ng said:
With the DS Lite currently going for $129.99, a $179.99 price point would mean but a $50 dollar upgrade for current DS owners and, Nintendo probably hopes, a negligible difference for potential buyers.
Urm...unless you can trade your DS lite for a DSI for full retail value "upgrading" will cost just as much as buying new :) Or am i misunderstanding what the DSi is & you can just get the additions seperate for the Lite?
No, they aren't separate, and yeah, you're right. Post has been edited.

Still - 50 bucks. Definitely a lot less than I was expecting. I might make the jump, though the lack of the GBA slot will suck.

keyper159

Dec 13, 2008
the point is does anyone over the age of 11 or who gas kids really give a damn about a new DS?

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Jeronus said:
Could this be the final nail in the PSP coffin? I see an empty grave next to the NGage.
Neither handheld console is anywhere close to dieing. In terms of sales then yes, the DS has a massive lead but the PSP still get loads of sales a month.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
This sounds like nintedo finally realised there hands held can't all be like the Fucking Game Boy.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
This sounds like nintedo finally realised there hands held can't all be like the Fucking Game Boy.
Isn't the point that you will be able to download Gameboy games onto your DS (like WiiWare, but for the DS)? That would mean it would be more like the Gameboy.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Lukeje said:
Isn't the point that you will be able to download Gameboy games onto your DS (like WiiWare, but for the DS)? That would mean it would be more like the Gameboy.
Crap I didn't know that, but thats probably because there is only a handful on non shitty Ds games.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Lukeje said:
Crap I didn't know that, but thats probably because there is only a handful on non shitty Ds games.
Stop trolling please. There are many good DS games, but unfortunately they only make up a small proportion of the total number of DS games that are made (the rest being 'shovelware').

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Lukeje said:
Lukeje said:
Stop trolling please. There are many good DS games, but unfortunately they only make up a small proportion of the total number of DS games that are made (the rest being 'shovelware').
I'm not Trolling, alter ego: shut the fuck up Patrick he's got you!
Me: fine there are several good Ds games, but Nintendo lets to much crap on thier consols its like the Wii and Ds are whores of the consol world, used by anyone I mean have you played the Wii game chicken shoot? Or the Ds game Cake Mania? Its not Nintendos a bad company, but I shouldn't have to dig for good games in a pile of horse shit, or in my case block buster. The Ds just gets me mad because when I find a good game it turns out to be Pokemon then my balls feel funny and I puke, the Ds is to childish for me if you enjoy it then my opinion should't bother you.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Me: fine there are several good Ds games, but Nintendo lets to much crap on thier consols its like the Wii and Ds are whores of the consol worl, used by anyone I mean have you played the Wii game chicken shoot? Or the Ds game Cake Mania? Its not Nintendos a bad company but I should have to dig for good games on a pile of horse shit, or in my case block buster. The Ds just gets me mad because when I find a good game it turns out to be Pokemon then my balls feel funny and I puke, the Ds is to childish for me if you enjoy it then my opinion should't bother you.
Every good system has bad games starting with the Atari 2600.

Nintendo wants to make money so of course they license as much games as possible. If they would only license good games then the Wii wouldn't have that many games.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Vlane said:
Me: fine there are several good Ds games, but Nintendo lets to much crap on thier consols its like the Wii and Ds are whores of the consol worl, used by anyone I mean have you played the Wii game chicken shoot? Or the Ds game Cake Mania? Its not Nintendos a bad company but I should have to dig for good games on a pile of horse shit, or in my case block buster. The Ds just gets me mad because when I find a good game it turns out to be Pokemon then my balls feel funny and I puke, the Ds is to childish for me if you enjoy it then my opinion should't bother you.

Nintendo wants to make money so of course they license as much games as possible. If they would only license good games then the Wii wouldn't have that many games.
Jesus I'm aware they need to make money but again have you played fucking chiken shoot?

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Vlane said:

Jesus I'm aware they need to make money but again have you played fucking chiken shoot?
It doesn't matter!

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Sigh I hope this doesn't turn into another which console is best thread.
Hmmm I'm not too sure on this. Can it still play regular DS games? If so then I might consider it. Especially for the dowloadable content.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Vlane said:
Vlane said:

It doesn't matter!
Stop picking a fucking fight, now your coming of as a nintendo fanboy, I own all the consols (exept the psp) and personally I wan't my money back for my Wii and Ds, the Dsi could be good if there making it more an electronic device than childish toy, but seriously I liked Nintendo stop deffending them the couldn't give a shit about you, I used to love my game cube, no I use my Wii as a game cube, but I wanted a new consol not somthing with 10 or so good games and a shitty avatar system, play chicken shoot and you'll now what I mean anout nintendo being a whore, now fuck off.

InventiveHero

Oct 2, 2008
I think Nintendo will need some really killer downloadable content to make me jump over. If they can get the great folks at Telltale to make a graphical Sam and Max adventure game avalable for monthly download or something, I might be tempted - but I just got "Guitar Hero: Decades" for Christmas, and I don't want the hand grip to become obsolete in a few months of owning it! I wonder if the DSi means the death of the Guitar Hero DS franchise?

As for the ability to download and watch video and PDA like functions, I have the far better equipped Nokia N800, which takes care of all that - and heck, my cell. I know that Nintendo REALLY wants there to be a DSi in every executives hands, but I just don't see anyone who pulls in 6 figures checking their email on a gaming device. I do have a DS, and it's the reason I don't download games for my cellphone. I use my DS for games.

It seems like the DSi is full of swell ideas, but content is what is going to sell this device. Monthly, or even weekly chapters of a Paper Mario adventure, or downloads of classic NES games like Ducktales or Kid Icarus for nostalgia? Sign me up. Otherwise it seems like a poor upgrade that seems out of date already.