Award-Winning Author To Write Doom 4

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Award-Winning Author To Write Doom 4

I'm not sure what the point is, but Graham Joyce [http://www.idsoftware.com/] to handle the writing duties on Doom 4.

Joyce has written 14 novels since 1991, along with numerous shorter works, spanning science fiction, fantasy, horror and "mainstream literature." His second novel, 1992's Nottingham Trent University [http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Sister-Graham-Joyce/dp/0312866321].

All of which could easily lead a person to wonder what he's doing working on Doom 4. The stories in Doom 1, 2 and 3 [http://www.idsoftware.com/games/doom/doom2/] certainly weren't anything that any self-respecting author would take credit for, and that's always been part of their admittedly odd charm: The complete lack of any story beyond "space marine fights demons." Yet here we have a real author, who's won considerably acclaim for his work, sitting down to craft the story upon which Doom 4 will be built.

Filled with understandable doubt, last one [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=205696].

Is id planning to tell a real story in Doom 4? And if so, will it work? Doom and Doom 2 are among my favorite games of all time, in large part because they allow me to kill stuff without thinking about anything else. No stats, no reading, no narration, no cut scenes, no nothing except an endless supply of bullets and bad guys. And while Resurrection of Evil [http://www.idsoftware.com/games/doom/doom3/] fell flat in comparison, the absence of a decent story (or any kind of story) wasn't the problem. I'll be thrilled if id and Joyce can team up to create a gripping tale of horror and survival in a demon-infested future, but first and foremost I want to see some balls-out demon holocaust massacre action. Anything beyond that is secondary.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'd quite like to see Doom 4 upscale things.

Since the plot for all* the Doom games involve the armies of Hell escaping, how cool would it be to fight a large scale battle on the surface of Mars, or get sucked into the war that created Doom 3's soul cube?

Unfortunatel I can feel another linear jump out of closets fps coming on...

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Dunno if itl work in this specific case. But one sure way to have the industry standard of game storywriting improve is to keep devs as far away from doing it as possible. In that respect, this is only a good thing I guess.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Getting big name writers and actors onto games generally isn't much to get excited about. Theres very few big names who have actually put any effort into it. I think either they're not taking it seriously and are just in it for the money, or they where generally intrested, took one look at the script, sighed and tried to get it over with quickly.

But, the worst thing I could see happening with Doom is this writer taking it seriously. I don't want a deep and multi-layered story about a space marien that shoots demons. But maybe a slight parady of other such games would be kind of fun.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
Malygris said:
I'll be thrilled if id and Joyce can team up to create a gripping tale of horror and survival in a demon-infested future, but first and foremost I want to see some balls-out demon holocaust massacre action. Anything beyond that is secondary.
This! If they can get that part right in Doom 4 then a decent story is just an added bonus. The game needs to go back to its roots in Doom 1 and 2 and have hordes of enemys coming at you.

Doom 3 and the expansion Resurrection of Evil were not necessarily bad games, they did dark horror corridor shooting well. It was the fact that they carry the Doom name that they were poorly recieved. I remember being a little dispointed when I would only get maybe four or five enemies to come at me at once. Compared with the fourty or fifty Doom 1 or 2 would throw at you just for pressing the wrong switch and triggering a trap.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I always found 3 wanted to have a story but then didn't want it to be too distracting or really mean anything. Other than a few people turning out to be evil and an illusionary choice about calling the rescue ships to Mars, the main theme of the game seemed to be that corporations aren't run by idiots and even they wouldn't want an evil demon invasion.

If you're going to do a story, then do it. Angels, theological questions about Satan and God, being descended from aliens that fled to Earth, why some people become zombies and others aren't summoned by the rapture thingy. Just go for it.

Kriegsherr

Jan 10, 2009
While Doom 3's storyline was pretty simple, I still think it worked well for what we were given in the game. I thought they did really well with Doom 3, I can see that my love for things that everybody complains about is going to cause a lot of problems here

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Dectilon said:
He'll be quite distraught when he finds out Doom's story has no potential :)
Truth.

Don't buy a game by id for a story. If they manage to make it cool, I'll be impressed. I can hope, but to be realistic, it will probably fail in that department but still sell because it's Doom.

Also, another movie would be good if they took the last 8 minutes of the first movie and made it the whole thing.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Valiance said:
Also, another movie would be good if they took the last 8 minutes of the first movie and made it the whole thing.
Yeah, cutting it down to eight minutes WOULD be an improvement!

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
xitel said:
I didn't know the Doom series had a story line...
It does according to Wikipedia. Basically scientists open ports to hell on Mars and demons come out. You are a space marine on a planet and must fight through the demons to get home. Brilliant writing.

Though what about Duke Nukem Forever id?

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Dommyboy said:
xitel said:
It does according to Wikipedia. Basically scientists open ports to hell on Mars and demons come out. You are a space marine on a planet and must fight through the demons to get home. Brilliant writing.

Duke Nukem was developed by 3D realms.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Valiance said:
Dommyboy said:
xitel said:

Duke Nukem was developed by 3D realms.
Ah, my mistake then.