Arrested Development Movie Inches Closer to Reality

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Arrested Development Movie Inches Closer to Reality

Series creator Mitch Hurwitz says a deal is "more or less in place," while teen-film star Michael Cera's involvement continues to be a mystery.

For fans of the short-lived comedy, Mitch Hurwitz [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrested_Development_(TV_series)] is indeed seriously considering an Arrested Development movie.

"We want to do it," said Hurwitz, promoting his new animated series Sit Down, Shut Up to the press. "We have a deal more or less in place from Fox Searchlight, and we're kind of getting all the actors on board." E! Online [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004715/], "For once and for all, the Arrested Development movie is happening!"

Fans of the series, however, aren't celebrating just yet as series mainstay, Juno [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0148418/], has been quite busy as of late, though that hasn't stopped a large number of fans from expressing their frustration with his silence on the matter.

"He's certainly not said that he won't do it," told Silver Spoons [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000867/]. "I think Michael is clearly the guy that has come out of Arrested Development with a very big plate, so I think he's trying to really give some responsible thought to what makes sense for him to do with his career. The guy is 20 years old and I'm sure he doesn't want to screw up this opportunity."

From the sounds of it, it seems as though Hurwitz plans to get the Bluth family to the big screen, with or without Michael Cera, joking that he'd even shoot a prequel starring a CG version of the star as an 8-year-old.

Considering just how important every member of the Arrested Development cast is to the overall quality, it's difficult to say just how damaging a movie would be without the contributions of Michael Cera as the cousin-loving teen, George Michael. Does his involvement, or lack of affect your will to see an Arrested Development movie? For those who have yet to experience the tragically cancelled comedy, the entire series is available for free on Hulu [http://www.hulu.com/arrested-development], though regional restrictions may apply.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I don't really know how to feel about this. I'm a bit sad that so many shows get canceled and the solution is to crank out a movie, ie Stargate SG1, Dead Like Me ...etc.
While it is good to get one last crack at the show a lot of time has passed and while at the time of cancellation people were rabid about it coming back, I think that most people have moved on by now, I'm sure it will be a good experience but nothing to really be excited for.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I can solve their problem in two lines of dialogue:

GOB: Where's George Michael?
Michael: College.

Done. That'll be $10,000, please.

Blank__

Oct 9, 2008
Arrested Development (and its (WIP?) movie) does not need, even a little, the so-so actor that is Michael Cera. As long as Jason Bateman is there all will be well.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
I think the movie would lose something not having Michael Cera in it. He is a relatively minor role in the show, but technically his father makes most of his decisions (be they funny or not) based on his son. That said, I do believe the other actors to be strong enough of personalities that you would soon forget that George Michael wasn't around.

Lets just hope the comedy stays the same, and this movie doesn't taint the good name of Arrested Development

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
And who the fuck is Michael Cera to say he doesn't want to play George Michael anymore? Like you havent just been doing iterations of him for the past however many fuckin movies you'd done since the show?

That being said, George Michael is hilarious, and the movie wouldn't be the same without him. Which is why I'm so damn riled about it.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Blank__ said:
Arrested Development (and its (WIP?) movie) does not need, even a little, the so-so actor that is Michael Cera. As long as Jason Bateman is there all will be well.
I disagree, with out George Michael, we would have had all of those funny moments with Man, I mean Egg, I mean Anne.

"What is she funny or something?" GOB

"Her?" Michael Bluth

"I'm afraid that I just blue myself Michael!" Dr. Tobias Funke

"Illusions Michael, you don't have time for my ILLUSIONS!" GOB

c'mon, that movie needs to be made!

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
Fantastic show, but wouldn't a movie just leave us wanting more? Mike Cera is a talented comedic actor who has almost perfected his bumbling awkward teen in recent roles, and the movie would suffer without him.

But it doesn't need him.

Anyways how long would it take to shoot? two weeks? It would probably be shot on a similar schedule to the TV show and they were able to produce 484 minutes of television a year. I bet they could film under 120 minutes in a time short enough Cera could fit it into his schedule.

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
Rednog said:
I don't really know how to feel about this. I'm a bit sad that so many shows get canceled and the solution is to crank out a movie, ie Stargate SG1, Dead Like Me ...etc.
While it is good to get one last crack at the show a lot of time has passed and while at the time of cancellation people were rabid about it coming back, I think that most people have moved on by now, I'm sure it will be a good experience but nothing to really be excited for.
I think you'll find that Arrested Development has only grown in popularity since it's cancellation. Everyone I know who watches the show, including myself, discovered it through a friend's DVDs or online.

Also, considering the extensive involvement of Ron Howard, it probably won't just be another TV movie.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
mokes310 said:
Blank__ said:
I disagree, with out George Michael, we would have had all of those funny moments with Man, I mean Egg, I mean Anne.

"What is she funny or something?" GOB

"Her?" Michael Bluth

"I'm afraid that I just blue myself Michael!" Dr. Tobias Funke

"Illusions Michael, you don't have time for my ILLUSIONS!" GOB

c'mon, that movie needs to be made!
They could get another actor and just have him 'airbrushed to oblivion'.
I'd have thought Michael Cera would want to do it. He must have had fun making the show - it can't be all about the money?

Listening to David Cross standup at the moment. So funny, he's a modern Bill Hicks. And not in a 'Dennis (why d'you do it?) Leary can rip off his material' way.