Forbes: Rock Band A "Shameless" Knockoff

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Forbes: Rock Band A "Shameless" Knockoff

In a profile of Activision CEO Bobby Kotick, Forbes called Guitar Hero [http://www.rockband.com/].

In a move worthy of the lowliest of message board flamewars, Forbes has accused Electronic Arts' Rock Band series of shamelessly stealing ideas from Activision's Guitar Hero franchise. The remark came in a profile [http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2009/0202/052.html] of Activision head Bobby Kotick, detailing his surprising rise from "a man with no interest in playing videogames" to the leader of "the world's most successful videogame publisher."

Describing how EA has fallen behind Activision and is now "taking to its new role as the industry's underdog with gusto," the article remarked that "EA also teamed with MTV to sell Rock Band, a shameless knockoff of Guitar Hero that added drums, bass and a microphone to the world of make-believe rock stars."

I'm not here to defend Electronic Arts, but this is pretty blatantly wrong. As most of us know, Guitar Hero was originally developed by Harmonix, who then split from Activision when they were bought by MTV, and then went on to make Rock Band. There was no stealing of ideas - the people who came up with the idea for Rock Band were the same ones who came up with the one for Guitar Hero. You could, of course, argue that the idea for Guitar Hero was ripped off from Konami's idea for GuitarFreaks [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitarfreaks], but that just leaves us with the whole question of what "originality" is in the first place, and the idea that isn't everything just a knockoff of something that came before?

The Forbes article's really just a dolled-up narrative of Kotick's rise from average businessman to games industry messiah, and yeah, it is what it is, but getting the facts so wrong (or ignoring the fact that Guitar Hero World Tour might be called a "shameless knockoff" of Rock Band), is inexcusable. I'm betting whoever wrote the article is one of those people who thinks that Samus is named Metroid and Link is Zelda, but that actually might be giving them too much credit too.

[Via VG247 [http://www.videogaming247.com/2009/01/18/forbes-rock-band-is-shameless-knockoff-of-guitar-hero/]]

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Damn them all, for shamelessly knocking off real rock bands so any shmuck can pretend he's a rockstar in his front room! Where's the dignity, stealing the pride and income from real artists!

Widdershins

Jan 14, 2009
You know, the problem isn't that he's ignorant. The problem is that while he's mostly right, NOBODY CARES. Everyone knows that they're basically two modes of the same game for a long time now, and nobody minds.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Rock Band: A game where you take the role of a cover band who makes it big with no original music.

Guitar Hero: A game where you take the role of a guitarist in a cover band who makes it big with no original music.

Rock Band and Guitar Hero: Games originally developed by the same company, which then split, one of which keeping the Guitar Hero title while the other went on to improve the genre with Rock Band. Oh and both ripped off of another rhythm game developed years before by a Japanese company.

See, nothing original about either game. People should stop whining about things being original, nothing is anymore.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Rock Band and Guitar Hero are made by the same company, so I think it's pretty reasonable for one company to re-use it's ideas. That's like saying "Oh no! Half-Life 2 is a shameless knock-off of Half-Life! How dare valve rip itself off like that! Valve should sue!"

Siris

Everyone's Favorite Transvestite
Jan 15, 2009
This is totally hillarious, and I can't wait for user feedback to rip Forbes a new one.

RB2 FTW

Feb 13, 2008
99% of all games are shameless rip offs of SpaceWar!.

But, in his surprising rise from "a man with no interest in playing videogames" to the leader of "the world's most successful videogame publisher.", didn't he think to getting a clue about videogames?

Jalepeno Shogun

Sep 12, 2008
Rock Band is better than guitar hero, it perfected and added to what guitar hero lacked, and now look at world tour, and what do you see, a create a character, drums, and mics. Who's the shameless knock off now, btw maxthereaper, little stereotypical, sure alot of the older bands did, but honestly, not all bands are junky-tastic hooker banging dignity deprived people

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
I think people are missing another large issue. Didn't he just say that EA is the "new industry underdog"? Now, for three words, there are around... Five different things wrong with that. That's quite a feat.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Keane Ng said:
I'm not here to defend Electronic Arts, but this is pretty blatantly wrong. As most of us know, Guitar Hero was originally developed by Harmonix, who then split from Activision when they were bought by MTV, and then went on to make Rock Band. There was no stealing of ideas - the people who came up with the idea for Rock Band were the same ones who came up with the one for Guitar Hero. You could, of course, argue that the idea for Guitar Hero was ripped off from Konami's idea for GuitarFreaks [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitarfreaks], but that just leaves us with the whole question of what "originality" is in the first place, and the idea that isn't everything just a knockoff of something that came before?

The Forbes article's really just a dolled-up narrative of Kotick's rise from average businessman to games industry messiah, and yeah, it is what it is, but getting the facts so wrong (or ignoring the fact that Guitar Hero World Tour might be called a "shameless knockoff" of Rock Band), is inexcusable. I'm betting whoever wrote the article is one of those people who thinks that Samus is named Metroid and Link is Zelda, but that actually might be giving them too much credit too.
Well said, sir, well said.

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
This was good for a chuckle. That chuckle coming from my utter lack of faith in ANY educated person ANYwhere having ANY knowledge about ANY videogame besides Pong.

I always find it ironic that the guys who have the time, money, and prestige to research their topic somehow always seem to bungle it. "Weapons of Mass Destruction" 'nuff said.