Sony President Says Xbox 360 Lacks "Longevity"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony President Says Xbox 360 Lacks "Longevity"

Xbox 360 [http://www.scei.co.jp/index_e.html] lacks the "longevity" of the PlayStation 3 and its planned ten year lifespan.

Speaking to Official PlayStation Magazine, Hirai touched on the other current-gen gaming consoles on the market and how they stacked up against the PlayStation 3. "With the Xbox... I can't come up with one word to fit," he said. "You need a word that describes something that lacks longevity. Last time I checked, they've never had a console that's been on the market for more than four or five years and we've committed to a ten year life cycle, so you do the math."

"And unless things go really bad," he continued, "there's no way that at the end of a life cycle our competition is going to have a higher install base."

As for the Nintendo Sony line [http://www.wii.com] that it's not actually competition at all. "It's difficult to talk about Nintendo because we don't look at their console as being competitors," he said. "They're a different world and we operate in our world - that's kind of the way I look at things."

The man has a point, if not about the inevitability of a PlayStation victory then at least about the fact that it's way too early to start panicking if Sony truly is committed to a ten year life cycle. But then the obvious question becomes, at what point does that commitment begin to wane? Microsoft has started to turn a profit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/80929-Xbox-360-Turns-a-Profit] on the Xbox 360 and Nintendo has been making money hand over fist on the Wii pretty much since the start, but Sony is continuing to bleed.

And what happens when Microsoft and Nintendo release their next generation of consoles while Sony is working through its ten years on the PS3? The company is betting the farm on the PlayStation 3, and it's a risky gamble; it may in fact be the best value for a complete home entertainment package, but at this point very few people seem to care. Props to Hirai for grace under pressure, but Sony management has to be sweating over the PlayStation 3 more than he's letting on.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
While I'm sure the PS3 is a good machine, this almost constant sniping from Sony is getting boring.

The Rusk

May 25, 2008
My God will they ever just let it go? Plus I don't get the whole point about bragging that the ps3 has a 10 year life cycle, whereas Microsoft's products often only have 4-5 years. Surely that means that Microsoft will just release a newer and better system, whilst Sony would still be struggling to make a profit off of the ps3.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Last time I checked, they've never had a console that's been on the market for more than four or five years and we've committed to a ten year life cycle, so you do the math.
That's because the Xbox was Microsoft's first console. The PS1 didn't last 10 years before the PS2 came out. It's kind of an unfair attack.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Well for the 360 console itself, his statement is absolutly 100% true, in my case and all my friends who onw 360's as well, they have all had the red ring of death!

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
The Rusk said:
My God will they ever just let it go? Plus I don't get the whole point about bragging that the ps3 has a 10 year life cycle, whereas Microsoft's products often only have 4-5 years. Surely that means that Microsoft will just release a newer and better system, whilst Sony would still be struggling to make a profit off of the ps3.
Basically he's saying that the PS3 will beat the 360 when the 360 is no longer trying to win.

panthrjd

Nov 4, 2007
Isn't Sony still debating axing the Playstation line because of massive revenue loss? (One product line on a good list of Sony products that are under threat of the axe, anyway)

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
xitel said:
Last time I checked, they've never had a console that's been on the market for more than four or five years and we've committed to a ten year life cycle, so you do the math.
That's because the Xbox was Microsoft's first console. The PS1 didn't last 10 years before the PS2 came out. It's kind of an unfair attack.
Read my mind.

Why does Sony keep talking smack? Last I checked they're the only company that's hemorrhaging money with their console.

Jul 9, 2008
xitel said:
That's what I was going to say.

Personally, I find the whole console war thing, or at least the fanboy side of it, very pointless, but whatever.

The Rusk

May 25, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
The Rusk said:
Basically he's saying that the PS3 will beat the 360 when the 360 is no longer trying to win.
I work with 3 year olds who employ this very logic on a day to day basis. Ah well lets just hope Sony will do better next generation, providing they survive this one.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
If microsoft and nintendo each release a new console before the end of this 10 year cycle then sure they might have a larger install base but their competitors will still be making more money.
The console war isn't about whos console outsells who but the company that makes the biggest profit and at this rate thats going to be nintendo (althought they all ready have) if the PS3 is sold at a loss even 200 million sold still wouldn't make sony a penny.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I always get a kick when some one says that the Wii isn't competing with their system. Though I can agree from where that statement is coming from, it really isn't. It still is a gaming system, and it still costs consumers money. If you are a one console house, and you choose a Wii, you aren't going to buy a 360 or ps3.

Jul 9, 2008
Signa said:
I always get a kick when some one says that the Wii isn't competing with their system. Though I can agree from where that statement is coming from, it really isn't. It still is a gaming system, and it still costs consumers money. If you are a one console house, and you choose a Wii, you aren't going to buy a 360 or ps3.
He's just saying it to ease the pain of Sony's (and MS's) humilitaing loss to Nintendo :)

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
nilcypher said:
While I'm sure the PS3 is a good machine, this almost constant sniping from Sony is getting boring.
Remember how this was in the context of an interview with OPM? He was asked for his opinion of the competition, and he gave it.
Which is fine. It's not so much what he said, it's the way he said it. I just think that Sony would do better trying to sell the PS3 on its own strengths, rather than on its rival's weaknesses.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
The Rusk said:
Now this sort of approach doesn't make much sense to me. So Sony is saying they they will win after the user base for the 360 and the Wii dwindles because they have released another, perhaps more advanced console and the PS3 is still around?

There is a logic to it I guess, but a odd one at that.

Ah well, at least we know that things are still ticking over smoothly. Another day, another round of pointless fan boy baiting.

Grand_Poohbah

Nov 29, 2008
mattttherman3 said:
Well for the 360 console itself, his statement is absolutly 100% true, in my case and all my friends who onw 360's as well, they have all had the red ring of death!
Not exactly what he meant by longevity.