Bad Hair, Classic Games

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Bad Hair, Classic Games

Long, long ago, the hit TV show That's Incredible hosted one of the very first televised videogame competitions. It was awesome then, and it's just about as awesome now.

It was the eighties. Videogames were in their infancy, and the arcade was the place to see and be seen. It was a time when arcade champs, like the three guys taking part in this competition, had groupies. No, seriously, they did.

Given that I used to watch That's Incredible religiously, I'm fairly certain I saw this clip when it originally aired. I didn't remember it until I saw it featured in Chasing Ghosts - Beyond the Arcade, an excellent, if somewhat depressing look at the heyday of video arcades.

If you ever have the chance to see Chasing Ghosts, make sure you do - it's positively fascinating. In the mean time, just enjoy the amazing (dare I say, incredible) commentary for this competition.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Those shirt-jean combo's were an offense to the senses. I cant even imagine it being acceptable in the 80's to wear pastal coloured t-shirts tucked into black jeans belted up to the midriff.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
More of a Real People fan myself, but that was still pretty damn awesome.

Love them jeans, too.

Specter_

Dec 24, 2008
That is retarded and I'm so glad that I don't remember anything from the 80's...

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
nimrandir said:
Did this have a different title a few minutes ago?
Yep. Changed it because "That's Incredible" isn't immediately identifiable for everyone.
Oh, man. That makes my arthritis flare up even more than when my students had no idea what The Maltese Falcon was.

Feb 13, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Those shirt-jean combo's were an offense to the senses. I cant even imagine it being acceptable in the 80's to wear pastal coloured t-shirts tucked into black jeans belted up to the midriff.
Dude, that was just the start...

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Cousin_IT said:
Dude, that was just the start...
You are gold!

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
TheWickerPopstar said:
Did anyone else feel uncomfortable looking at the audience? Who looked uncomfortable watching the show?
Most of the audience looked over 40, maybe thats why?

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Just imagine if the ratio of arcade machine awesomeness to home console lameness was the same today as it was in the 80s...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
fullmetalangel said:
Maybe I don't have your, yes, this is a way over used metaphor but, rose-tinted Nostalgia Glasses, but I honestly think this is bizarre. Although, I think it had more to do with the presentation than the actual content.
I have the nostalgia glasses, and I assure you, it's incredibly bizarre. Videogames were incredibly huge at the time, but I'm pretty sure the hosts had no idea what the hell they were talking about. Not much has changed, when you think about it.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Hey Joe said:
Perhaps a little OT, but who else here is a huge fan of King of Kong?
I thought that was pretty good. Amazing how seriously people took, and still take gaming really.

And there is nothing wrong with Spandau Ballet.