Review: The Maw

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: The Maw

The Maw is cute, clever, and charming. If I could think of a word that meant "repetitious" and started with the letter c, I'd call it that, too.

Read Full Article

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Hmm...Uhh...Hmm

I still don't know what to think. Whatever way you look at it, it's still 800 micosoft points, no matter who repetive it is.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Darkrai said:
I recommend it. Hands Down. It reminded me of Pikmin for some reason.
Yep, there is definitely a Pikmin vibe going on, which is a good thing. I definitely think folks should try it, but some people are absolutely going to be annoyed by certain aspects of the game.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Darkrai said:
Yep, there is definitely a Pikmin vibe going on, which is a good thing. I definitely think folks should try it, but some people are absolutely going to be annoyed by certain aspects of the game.
Why? Cuz itsh shooooo cuuuuuute? BAH. Or it's because it's a puzzle game? Seriously. It's gets me annoyed when people don't like a game just because there's no guns,blood,gore.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Looks... interesting? It reminds me a lot of the original Jak and Daxter or the Rachet and Clank games in its core design. That's probably caused by the Sci-Fi elements.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Darkrai said:
Susan Arendt said:
Darkrai said:
Why? Cuz itsh shooooo cuuuuuute? BAH. Or it's because it's a puzzle game? Seriously. It's gets me annoyed when people don't like a game just because there's no guns,blood,gore.
Uh, no. If you'd read the review, you'd know that the problem is that there's a lot of tedious repetition in between puzzle solving. I love cute games, and think that this one is particularly adorable. Which makes it all the more frustrating that it's so frequently bogged down with lather-rinse-repeat gameplay.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Darkrai said:
Susan Arendt said:
Darkrai said:
Uh, no. If you'd read the review, you'd know that the problem is that there's a lot of tedious repetition in between puzzle solving. I love cute games, and think that this one is particularly adorable. Which makes it all the more frustrating that it's so frequently bogged down with lather-rinse-repeat gameplay.
I have read it. And I agree with it's repetition. But my friend is one of those who didn't like it because of it's cuteness and lack of blood and gore. When I was reading your review,
I was reminded of him. But, I loved it and for 800 MS points. It's worth the purchase. It's you're a graphic nut, then you will be amazed. They are very nice for an arcade game. The gameplay is solid and yes repetitive.

kdorff

Dec 11, 2007
Actually, you don't have to smash snails. Get the Maws ability later in the level and he can shoot them or something first then you don't have to throw them. It never occurred to me to throw them, I just came back to them a bit later.

While I felt the game was a bit short, I thought it was an incredibly fun and charming game. I'm glad I picked it up. I plan to go back through the levels and 100% the game.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
You're always tasked with the cute and cuddly games :) Either way it was a fun review and made the little imp break out of it's cage in my head and tell me that I should get an Xbox, only to be imprisoned again...

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I found there was 2 things that really bothered me.

First was the shooting levels. It was a great game up til I hit that level and I thought to myself "what happened? They had an innovative game and just took the idea from 3/4 of the other games in the market. WHY?"

Second was the lack of puzzles. They had the potential to have so much more depth to them yet they were made so basic.

I loved the game, its charm won me over. 800 points for all you get is well worth it (the theme is awesome) just a shame there was no challenge. Even going for 100% doesn't require much skill. I suppose it is a nice break from getting constantly raped by a game. Fun for all ages I believe applies to this game.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I was actually pretty excited for this game. Looks like I'll probably pick it up at some point.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
The Maw can multiple creatures at once, when he becomes big enough. If you lead him over to a bunch of cratures he'll lick them all up.

It's not even that repetitive. Most of the time you have to solve other puzzles to reach the extra food, so it's not exactly a grind. The boredom comes from the fact that you move relatively slowly, and in the later levels it takes ages to get anywhere. That and how relatively short the game is are the main flaws, not the need to feed him.

"You don't know how much to feed him until he tells you he's had enough."
Oh come on. That makes no difference. You have to spend the same amount of time feeding him, even if it told you how much he needs in advance. It makes no difference what so ever.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Peach_hat said:
D_987 said:
Peach_hat said:
Her voice annoys me.
Susans or the aliens?
Susan's. I'm Australian though so it is probably just the accent.
Probably. I wuvs it; so charming. On topic, I need to get X-box Live. This sounds it will make me giddy with glee. I don't mind grind, though repetitiveness can get to me. Don't think it would if I enjoy the design however. Thanks for showing us these golden nuggets, Susan. =)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Geo Da Sponge said:
The Maw can multiple creatures at once, when he becomes big enough. If you lead him over to a bunch of cratures he'll lick them all up.

It's not even that repetitive. Most of the time you have to solve other puzzles to reach the extra food, so it's not exactly a grind. The boredom comes from the fact that you move relatively slowly, and in the later levels it takes ages to get anywhere. That and how relatively short the game is are the main flaws, not the need to feed him.

"You don't know how much to feed him until he tells you he's had enough."
Oh come on. That makes no difference. You have to spend the same amount of time feeding him, even if it told you how much he needs in advance. It makes no difference what so ever.
Except when you make it to the end of a level, only to find out that you have to backtrack and eat some more whatevers to make sure he's had enough, which happened to me. I had to, in essence, backtrack through half the level to go knock down trees and flush out Yums so that The Maw was full enough to allow me to proceed. I didn't need to eat them to solve any puzzles, just to be allowed to exit.

And yes, he can slurp up several Yums at a time once he's big enough, but you still have to get him in the right vicinity. You can't simply lead him to the area, let him go, and have him run around eating things. He stays pretty much in place and won't go after food unless you give him a nudge.

Also, wanted to point out that the just-announced DLC will add three more levels to the game