Team Fortress 2 Update Today, Scout Update Soon

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Team Fortress 2 Update Today, Scout Update Soon

Valve's Team Fortress 2 team is putting the finishing touches on an update for the Scout class, and are paving the way with a couple of smaller updates arriving today and later this week.

Slaphappy TF2 players who crave speed, scatterguns and wrote [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo0cAk35pDg] on the TF2 blog. "The weapons and achievements are all nailed down, and we just have to finish up the final artwork on them."

The update will come soon after a couple of smaller-scale updates that will be released over the course of the week. The one that hits today will fix bugs and exploits, while another one scheduled for later this week will move your inventory of unlockable items onto the Steam Cloud, a centralized storage hub that holds player data and saves. So if you play on more than one PC, you can have the same loadout for your weapons on all computers. "Once that's out of the way, we'll be able to ship the Scout pack," Walker said.

Tuning the class for new content hasn't been easy for Valve, according to Walker. Coming up with a suitable new alternative weapon to the Scout's Scattergun was a bit tricky. "Balancing his replacement weapon has been very tricky due to large threat difference of the Scout between skilled and non-skilled hands," Walker said. "More on that soon." It's true - Scouts are absolutely devilish in the hands of skilled players, but don't have much punch if you don't know the class well enough. Will the new weapon bridge the gap and make the Scout more accessible for everyone?

Walker also addressed a number of pressing fan concerns regarding the state of the game. Asked "why is the Sniper such a fake Australian?" he replied: "Yes, it's true, the Sniper is a fairly unconvincing Australian. Most of his lines make him sound more English than Australian, and the voice actor is clearly an English actor faking an Australian accent. As for why we didn't fight to make him more authentic, we thought it was appropriate that he was about as convincing an Australian as the Demoman is a Scotsman, or the Medic a German."

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
it never even occurred to me that it was such a fake accent on any of them. maybe it's because i found the lack of authenticity to be such a perfect fit for the game. i certainly do love it!

and man am i psyched for this! i already have a hard enough time getting any sleep because i cannot pry myself off this game every night. i see a lot of sleepless nights ahead after this update.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Nuts to gameplay updates, when does the next 'Meet the' video come out?

In the meantime, I wonder what the Scout's new weapons will be, a long range Sandvich stealer, rotary softball bat cannon and a baseball bat, with nails in it...

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Nuts to gameplay updates, when does the next 'Meet the' video come out?

In the meantime, I wonder what the Scout's new weapons will be, a long range Sandvich stealer, rotary softball bat cannon and a baseball bat, with nails in it...
I'm personally hoping for a bat that does crits from the back but none from the front and called it a "Corked Bat". Thrown out the pistol (while useful in some situations, you're better off just running away then trying to kill someone with it) and put in a better pair of shoes, make a use effect that gives you a temporary boost to run speed. And for the scatter gun thrown in a double barreled version with the same amount of ammunition, general idea being more initial burst damage but less total shots available and same long reload time.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Rednog said:
And for the scatter gun thrown in a double barreled version with the same amount of ammunition, general idea being more initial burst damage but less total shots available and same long reload time.
Wouldn't that be a quad barrel? It looks like the scatter gun is already double barreled.

I am very interested in finding out what Value has done with the scout. Although I might need to spend the first week as Pyro just to burn down all the people trying to grab achievements.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
uppitycracker said:
it never even occurred to me that it was such a fake accent on any of them. maybe it's because i found the lack of authenticity to be such a perfect fit for the game. i certainly do love it!
Agreed, but I was certain the sniper was english! Is it just me or does he sound like Michael Caine? this is to you and Mr Root...

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Valve should think themselves lucky they didn't try and give the Soldier a South African accent. :)
It probably wouldn't have been hilarious or stereotypical enough methinks ;¬D

Feb 13, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
uppitycracker said:
Agreed, but I was certain the sniper was english! Is it just me or does he sound like Michael Caine? this is to you and Mr Root...
He does have a certain South Estuary twang but he uses a lot of Australianisms. Like the eee's and the over pronounced T's.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Also, I heard people complain about the 'unrealistic accents' ... Anyone look at the visuals? 'OMG he doesn't even LOOK like a real person either, its mean't to be fun, and it does that job very well, I think!

I just hope Valve make an absolute shedload of cash from TF2, the way they've supported the game with patches and updates, some people have complained about the endless tinkering, but I think its a far superior way of doing things than DRM!

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
endless tinkering is far better than NO support at all (looks at ea).

yeah the accents are contrived, but it just adds to the experience that is tf2, try NOT to laugh your head off when the heavy starts yelling "I AM BULLET PROOF" in that contrived russian accent.

wish my tax refunds would get here soon so i can get my computer running before the scout update hits.

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
Slycne said:
I am very interested in finding out what Value has done with the scout. Although I might need to spend the first week as Pyro just to burn down all the people trying to grab achievements.
You'll need to burn me down, too :)
I'm actually VERY interested in the new weapons, I have absolutely no idea what they're gonna do.

elmaxx

Oct 2, 2008
I love TF2, simply because it does not takes itself seriously.

Cannot wait to see what awaits the noble and elusive Scout.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Wait, the Medic is German? I thought he sounded more French or Italian for some reason.

BillBarilko

May 6, 2008
It's been something like half a year since I last played TF2, so I've been missing all these updates (last time I played was just after the Medic was updated). I'm thinking of getting back into it and am curious about how long it'll take me to get reacquainted with the game. Questions for others who've taken a long break from TF2 then come back to it under similar conditions - what was it like?