Netflix Finds Movie Rental Riches on Xbox Live

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Netflix Finds Movie Rental Riches on Xbox Live

Netflix profits are exploding as consumers stay indoors and its partnership with Microsoft starts selling digital flicks.

After announcing that its 2008 fourth quarter profit had risen a stunning 45 percent, Netflix established itself as the leader in legal online movie rentals. Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter contributes part of Netflix's growing dominance in this field to the distribution deal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84996] between the movie rental company and Microsoft for selling Netflix items over Xbox Live and directly into customers' televisions.

Xbox Live hosts eight million Gold members, all of whom are "a click of the mouse away from becoming Netflix subscribers," according to Pachter. He estimates that 800,000 Gold members were previous Netflix customers before the Xbox Live rental service started and another 200,000 signed up in 2008.

Pachter explained to GameDaily [http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/xbox-live-is-proverbial-gold-mine-for-netflix-says-pachter/?biz=1], "We think that subscriber growth will continue at super-normal levels for quite some time. We believe that the Xbox Live Gold membership is a proverbial gold mine of potential members, and expect to see as many as 1 million join as Netflix members in the next year," he said. "Beyond that, we note that Microsoft is still selling a large number of Xbox 360 units (we estimate that it will sell another 5 - 6 million in the U.S. in 2009), with conversion of around 35% of these owners to Xbox Live Gold membership."

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I, for one, completely love having Netflix on the 360, and am glad that it's doing well for both parties.

I suppose there would be many gamers who also like watching movies.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
zoozilla said:
I, for one, completely love having Netflix on the 360, and am glad that it's doing well for both parties.

I suppose there would be many gamers who also like watching movies.
how does netflix work on the 360? can you explain to me how it works please.

on topic ive seen how awesome netflix is though ive never tried it myself so i shall try it out sometime

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
You use your pc to choose what you want to put in your watch instantly queue, which has a decent number of movies and tv shows on the watch instantly, but not nearly as many as what are available on dvd/blu-ray. Then you open up netflix on your 360 and watch as the movies are added to your queue. Then you select from your queue what you want to watch, and it is streamed. Most people even get a free trial, which is good because some people do not have a good enough connection to watch streamed movies in clear definition. Most of the large new titles are not on Watch instantly, but I have watched all the office, Heroes, 30rock, and probably 200 hours on movie rentals...all for a little under 20$. Not too shabby, though having the movies at my fingertips made studying for finals last semester nearly impossible.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
I'm loving it, I just wish Netflix had a bit of a better selection and it was easier to sort through. It seems like at the moment they have a lot of older movies on there.

I also got caught up in The Office and 30 Rock - 2 shows I would have never started watching, but I'm in love with them now. If I can't catch a series during season 1, I have a hard time of getting into it.

Did Microsoft / Netflix ever resolve the issue with Sony?

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
SmugFrog said:
I'm loving it, I just wish Netflix had a bit of a better selection and it was easier to sort through. It seems like at the moment they have a lot of older movies on there.

I also got caught up in The Office and 30 Rock - 2 shows I would have never started watching, but I'm in love with them now. If I can't catch a series during season 1, I have a hard time of getting into it.

Did Microsoft / Netflix ever resolve the issue with Sony?
Yes: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87706