EVE Online Assassinations: Going Too Far?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EVE Online Assassinations: Going Too Far?

An assassination attempt in the middle of an EVE Online [http://www.eveonline.com] tournament once again has players debating the ups and downs of the game's boundless freedom, and whether some organized events should be excluded from the game's regular web of intrigue and machinations.

The EVE Online Alliance PvP Tournaments [http://myeve.eve-online.com/events/alliances/tournament/?t=6] allow corporations to square off against one another on a level playing field, in a controlled arena with pre-established rules of engagement and a huge audience of EVE players. But they're not immune to corporation grudges, as was demonstrated during a tournament battle this past weekend between Frater Adhuc Excessum and the Honda Accord.

As the battle began, a player with the Honda Accord surprisingly attacked and destroyed his own team captain's ship, then self-destructed his own vessel. The player, it turns out, infiltrated the Accord on behalf of the Dead Parrot Shoppe Inc., which claims no beef with the Accord but wanted Issler Dainze, the target of the assassination attempt, dead for reasons of its own. "I was sent to kill Issler, whose alt is Denze," the assassin, named "Happy Joymaker," explained in a forum post [http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=986848&page=1#17]. "The reasons behind it are known to the Honda Accord."

The actual success of the hit has been CCP [http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=986848] has remained quiet on the matter.

EVE Online takes a lot of grief for being a "spreadsheet simulator," a hardcore, numbers-driven MMOG in which productivity trumps fun. But CCP's hands-off approach has also created a unique environment in which players are free to do as they wish, and every now and then that freedom results in some awfully creative bad behavior. The most famous example, of course, is the Guiding Hand Social Club's devastating infiltration [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=180867&site=pcg] of the Ubiqua Seraph, but smaller-scale intrigues abound. Does CCP have an obligation to draw a line in the sand, or is this just another case of gamers getting what they wished for?

Source: Massively [http://www.massively.com/2009/02/01/eve-pvp-tournament-assassination-machiavellian-or-bad-form/]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That is awesome. The people who dreamed that up deserve a medal for sheer audacity.

CCP have decided to keep their admining hands off, perhaps in future tournaments the players should just beef up the security checks, as in the real world.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
I shouldn't say that but that sounds awesome.

Edit: Hmm I'm a Gone Gonzo now. That sucks.

Grenbyron

Dec 31, 2008
We have been shown time and time again that politics and professional competition do not mix. I think the guild involved in the assassination should be banned as a whole to set an example. (Mind you I do not play the game myself. I find it too tedious. That and no pet class. :p) If an example is not made soon then soon no one will want to play in the tournaments as no one likes a "Beserker Pawn".

NDWolfwood5268

Dec 3, 2008
I think it's a rather pitiful attempt to disgrace them. The Honda Accord don't care, they won and didn't get podded. It was more annoying than anything. But hey, whatever floats yer boat. They're no Guiding Hand...

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Gormourn said:
Wow, that's actually cool. No they shouldn't be banned...

Bringing spies, politics and such in a MMO is awesome.
My thoughts exactly. It just makes the whole thing much more interesting.

Who doesn't like some political intrigue in their MMO?

Yuriatayde

Sep 10, 2008
I see a big news-y post full of story and the corresponding opinions thereof...

And all I can think is, what an over glorified griefer, because that's really all it was, a childish griefing attempt. I suppose it could be called an "assassination attempt" but, really, it was just some guy going out of his way for a grudge.

[edit] I can see him getting banned if he made a new account for this, that's a common griefer attempt. However if it was pulled using actual diplomacy, like changing sides back and forth with a character that actually matters... Then no, don't ban 'em I guess, it was still immature griefing but at least he did it through the right channels? I dunno what I'm saying.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
As awesome as it is, I believe the official PvP Tournaments etc, should be excluded from this kind of shit.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
This is one of the things that draws me to EVE (Note:Still don't actually play it), the endless freedom players have when it comes to rules in general really.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Yuriatayde said:
I see a big news-y post full of story and the corresponding opinions thereof...

And all I can think is, what an over glorified griefer, because that's really all it was, a childish griefing attempt. I suppose it could be called an "assassination attempt" but, really, it was just some guy going out of his way for a grudge.

[edit] I can see him getting banned if he made a new account for this, that's a common griefer attempt. However if it was pulled using actual diplomacy, like changing sides back and forth with a character that actually matters... Then no, don't ban 'em I guess, it was still immature griefing but at least he did it through the right channels? I dunno what I'm saying.
You can actually have multiple accounts in EvE-online, you even get a discount if you pay for several at a time, you can also play as many eve clients at once too. This allows people to have their own fleets of miners controlled by a single person. (But quite dangerous too, as you have to split your control over all of them should you get attacked.

I play EvE on and off, and I think this is quite interesting, they'd be perfectly within reason and within game lore to make up some addtitional security. I don't know the exact fluff behind the tournament, buts its the Amarr Emperer or Jovians that do it so they can watch and such, would be reasonable to create high level police drones ready to attack any thing that tried to de-rail the tourny.

Oh and to whoever said there isnt a pet class. There is. They're called drones ;)

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
It always sounds like Eve gets all the fun, despite I find it incredibly boring.